Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
more body work along with scary pics

the right side as mentioned before is continuing. further pics show the progress and then the front bulkhead areas where rust has made the area like a sieve . the floor also

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
delays as usual

well... it doesn't go according to plan does it. A friends MGA restoration interfered when the denter basically went over to finish and fitting....this led to the GT being pushed to the back of the shop.

Being restarted this week again … the left side has been done.... floors were needed and I was asked for the pedals for conversion …no RHD floor hinged pedals were available from the usual sources so decided to get an OBP pedal set .. with master cylinders and everything. The floor can be done now nicely.....

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
the right side being done

the bodywork on the right is being done......the door handles have been obtained and so have the door strikers etc....I am being given a date of completion of June..... so heres to hoping

the windscreen and glass has arrived from OKP at the airport and the clearance agent is at it. Hoping they are in one piece.

decided to get all the glass... tinted front and rear screens along with the side window glass.. all of it.

Kevin at ebspares is sending the rubber seal set.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
the panel work on the right

greetings again. the bodywork continues on the right as well as the sourcing of parts.

The car is a 65 ...I finally traced this out.....and it has Dunlop calipers and smaller front uprights, Sourced a pair of uprights from a 1750 from Kevin at ebspares in wiltshire. went to see him in summer as well..nice guy...very helpful. This would make it easiet to get the ATE sports vented discs as well as the choice of either a Classicalfa or Alfaholics sport brake kit. I dont drive that fast but why not?

The rest of the stuff including the rubber seals, clutch kit a RHD conversion dashboard, chrome bits are on their way via a roundabout route. Will let you know of the adventures of the chrome bits if they arrive.

Hinges and door strikers etc etc. little things but these make the car.

In the meanwhile some scary photos

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
NIssan Distributor... twin plug...

I am in the process of getting a Nissan distributor to replace the two distributors. A new one is avilable for about 250US dollars with the leads and the cap. I think Jim steck in the USA did this a while ago. What does one have to do and is it a good idea? There isnt enough space in the fornt and the wires will foul the radiator.................so its either a total distributor delete via an Alfaholics system and shift to carbs... expensive or retain the injection system and shift to a single distributor.

Any experience / advice form the BB

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
the front valance

the front valance has been almost completed....however holes for air like the GTa valance have to be made. Hopefully in a few days. The sides have been done in general....but little details will need to settled like the door strikers.. the window winders...early are different form the late ones.... and not available new. One for the right side door was obtained from Kevin at ebspares form the depths of his store.

On way by sea with the rear valance via Glasgow but thats another story..

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
the front continued

the front has been done... just waiting for the rear valance shipment to come. Has arrived in Karachi but customs have got their teeth into the container....am reassured another ten or so days...lets see

the windscreen fitment has been checked....

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great job being done here by you and your artisan body-man., The front has now returned to its beautiful profile, when it is finally fitted with chrome and stainless steel it becomes a work of art. Thanks for the update very inspirational work being done here.
Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
sorry for the absence

I apologise for not having posted for a few months.
Progress has been tht I have been collecting parts form all over the world

1. The glass arrived from OKP. Frony and rear screens side glass. This was ordered as I did not ahve any idea whether the parts form ebspares including glass as well as other bits would not be stuck in the UK. The shipper finally came up trumps and the shipment of about 250 kg arrived in May
2. Got an exhaust system and conversion manifold form Alfaholics as well as a stage 1 handling kit
3. The ecu and wiring was brought in form Malaysia by a friend Waleed who lives in KL.
4. The brakes vexed me ....the dunlop rear brakes were shot and redoing them would cost a huge amount of money without much return....the rear discs would need to eb changed and the fornt uprights for bigger brakes. So I decided to go for a hybrid system. Standard 1750 rear brake discs.. brembo with standard ATE calipers and centerline front Wilwood 4 pot calipers and braided brake lines.
5. The right hand drive conversion box and idler box.... has been converted to right hand drive now

Anyhow some pics... with the engine being fitted in. The engine was riding too high on the right... srted by having the right hand engine bracket shortened.,,, so its no longer striking the bonnet...hood to north america

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
some more pics with the engine in position

the right side of the engine has come down... need some bashing of the right side of the engine bay where the intake fouled and will need trimming of the hood/ bonnet bracket.

and a picture of the " SAFE" door striker ... a left hand side was misssing form my car and these things are rare. Found one in Australia.....almost as rare as hens teeth

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
the engine in position

The engine was placed in postion...but the sump was a twinspark one and a steel sump form my 1300 twin cam was put in....its finned alloy sump had previously been taken for my old 1750GTV series 1.

I got a sump from Kevin at ebpares on my visit to the UK for the Goodwood revival and great drives over one week in Southwest England where a group of friends and I visited the Haynes Museum and then had a blast over the moors in North Devon to Cornwall, Lands End and then over Dartmoor through Somerset to Sussex. But I digress....

There was a delay in starting the Twinspark as the coils with the ignitors were not available...until again Kevin came to the rescue

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
the paint prep starts

Painting prep has started with the body initially having removal of surface rust with slight sanding and then the use of Krud Kutter gel...this is a phosphotic acid based gel that can be wiped off after a few minutes from the steel surface and then this is wiped off with a wet cloth...protects the metal and prevents rust.

Appears to be good... the surface can be primed etc...here the steel puteen is being applied on the whole car and then will be sanded and smoothed over

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Krud kutter gel works

For a comparison of the above pics with how we started a few days ago....the monsoon having taken its toll...........pics of the Alfa before sandpapering and using the Phosphoric Acid based gel

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
For a change of flavour

Our classic season starts as the british one ends..its the autumn and winter where the cars can be driven without fear of overheating and without need for air conditioning...

My cars have emerged form their hiding places.... i.e the garage at the rear of the house and the porch

and as Brexit looms I am starting with a face off between the Porsche and the Mini......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,935 Posts
"a steel sump from my 1300 twin cam was put in" ... ??

But man, I am so extremely impressed with your panel shop!. She has come out really, really well. I also like your solution to installing the moderner engine by making it fit by hammering more clearance on the inlet side inner guard. This is what Alfa Romeo would have done.

I need to do some research into "Krud Kutter gel". I definitely need to learn more about metal preparation for primer.
Pete

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
"a steel sump from my 1300 twin cam was put in" ... ?? @PSk I had a 1300 engine lying around which I obtained for my 1750 restoration ....but then got a 1750 engine form the UK for it so it was lying around. In previous life some owner had replaced the sump with a steel one...maybe damaged the previous one.

The twinspark sump obviously cannot be used with the 105 chassis. The oil pump has to be changed too as the twinspark pump does not fit in the alloy 105 sump.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
@PSK steel sump

I have a 1300 engine from a 105 series GT obtained for my old 1750GTV ( before I got a 1750 for it...it was Toyota engined ) and a PO had put in a steel sump on the 1300.. ??? damage to the aluminium sump.

Obviously need to replace the oild pump in the twinspark as well

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
primering

the body prep progresses. The better half has refused to allow another red car into the house or anything ornage yellow red etc... so although the original colour was Bluette I have decied to go for a metallic mica blue pearl.

There are several mica blue colours to choose from ...a mica blue metallic from the AW11 Toyota MR2, a BMW met blue pearl, a colour from Peugoet and another from Porsche.

will be putting up test panels later..

Attachments

21 - 40 of 65 Posts