Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again

Haven't yet finished the restoration of my Alfa GTV6 https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/405777-alfa-gtv6-alfetta-gt-restoration-story-pakistan.html
that I am knee deep in the restoration of the Alfa GT mentioned in the GTV6 post. Somehow I cannot access the photos in the GTV6 post on this computer and so the pics as I obtained the car will be put up later.

I had a 1750GTV Series 1 that I restored from a rather decrepit vehicle but even that looked like a walk in the park as compared to this my last find.The 1750 has ended up with a friend who basically held a gun to my head... with friends like these....

I had been aware of this GT in Karachi.... which is about 700 miles from Lahore in Pakistan where I am based. It is one of only two Scalinos in the country. There is another one in Lahore which I wanted to get but the owner did not and does not want to part with it... in any case it has been lying in the open ...rain and shine for the last many years so is to my mind rather unrestorable.

Anyhow back to this GT... we have a forum on pakwheels.com where a pic of this car was put up by a member nearly eight years ago. It took some detective work, spycraft and image enhancing technology to trace the car. In the background with a washed out signboard of an auto electrician with a mobile telephone number. Upon enhancement it became clearer and I sent a mech that I knew in Karachi to contact him and he reached a neighbouring workshop where the car was based. The man refused to sell the car... it had been stripped and he wanted to restore the car himself. Yeah right I thought and got into other projects.

I would generally visit the area and try to look for the car but it just disappeared for seven whole years...untraceable.... until it resurfaced ina worse condition than before obviously. Now the car was very far gone as you will see but beggars cannot be choosers....if there are only two Scalinos in the country and only this one with complete papers I had to have it....having lost my 1750....

Now for the plans... I intend to make it into a restoration modification..... with an Alfa Twinspark 2 litre and as near to making it an Alfaholics replica as funds will allow with a few changes / differences for our country eg air conditioning. I will not be making a huge effort to make the interior eg the seats absolutely like the original. The car is also left hand drive and although I have the dash and the instruments sourced form the USA I will convert it to right hand drive.

I hope people mainly in the UK wont mind me mentioning their names as they have helped with sourcing parts.

I have already obtained a twinspark from Mick Mistrolacasa in Bedford ( vintagealfa on ebay ) along with a gearbox but the wiring and the ECU went missing on the way. The missing items were sourced from Malaysia....the wiring and the ECU ....

But first the condition of the car as the metal man.... the denter/ panel beater has started work. He has previously done my Porsche 912 as well and is a real artist.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the GT as it arrived

the car arrived like this from Karachi.

No glass... no screen in the fornt... chrome rusted away....a steering wheel and steering box .. with a Mazda OHC engine... and nothing else. So a blank canvas to paint on....as well as the 1750 series 1....on a visit to the workshop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Always incredible to see what your guys do with limited resources! Looking forward to this one being brought back to the road.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1/2 shot of the steering wheel suggests Junior? Looks like a good basis for what you plan. We all look forward to watching this ��

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
With that vacuum booster it must be a hanging pedals car.
RHD uses pedals through the floor (you probably know)

Easy conversion .. you just need the RHD pedals, steering & idler boxes.. cut holes in RH floor/firewall and your good to go. Move steering column mount and close up the LH firewall holes ��

Car looks fairly rust free, what are the sills and window surrounds like?
Quite a few RHD 105 in Australia if your looking for the parts also

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
body work being done

the car body work is started. Rusted all over. Would be scrapped in any other country. Due to local rarity and sheer pigheadedness have to proceed......spoke to the metal worker panel beater today. He says doable and that with a grin. He is taking it as a challenge

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I love to read and see this kind of stories.

Given the rarity of the car, in your part of the world, I would restore it to a "wolf in sheeps' desguise" specification car.... just my opinion. Go on with the TS mechanicals and good modern suspensions, but I would set the cars exterior and interior completely back to stock.

This way it would be an enjoyable fun driver, with the perfect looks and elegance of Giugiaro's initial design, and could easiliy be set back to total stock...this for your future from when the values of these cars will climb again.

my 0.000000002 Cts.... or even less

Anyway, It's a great and inspiring project

Thomas

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thomas... all suggestions on board

Given the rarity of the car, in your part of the world, I would restore it to a "wolf in sheeps' desguise" specification car.... just my opinion. Go on with the TS mechanicals and good modern suspensions, but I would set the cars exterior and interior completely back to stock.

This way it would be an enjoyable fun driver, with the perfect looks and elegance of Giugiaro's initial design, and could easiliy be set back to total stock...this for your future from when the values of these cars will climb again.

Thomas
Absolutely. Its going to be a twinspark but initially without the throttle bodies. I do have a 1300 alfa nord twin cam in the store but wont put that in as I need the air conditioning.

The body is going to be stock with the Alfaholics 15inch wheels and possibly the extended GTa ... not the GTAm arches at the rear. The suspension is going to be probably a stage 2 Alfaholics or a fast road Classicalfa handling kit. Koni adjustable shocks front and rear with Eibach lowering springs. The brakes are going to be again either Classicalfa wilwood 4 pot calipers with the cross drilled vented discs. The interior is what I was talking about. The seats are the main issue. I don't have rear seats so will probably go the way some Alfaholics cars and have a couple of locker compartments . Will also have a roll cage. The front seats are going to Recaros in leather ( modernish ones) I have a set from my old Evo VII lying around. These are cloth but can be changed to leather easily. I have already obtained the glass in my last UK visit and it should be on the way soon.

So yes... as you have suggested.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thomas... all suggestions on board

Thomas
Absolutely. Its going to be a twinspark but initially without the throttle bodies. I do have a 1300 alfa nord twin cam in the store but wont put that in as I need the air conditioning.

The body is going to be stock with the Alfaholics 15inch wheels and possibly the extended GTa ... not the GTAm arches at the rear. The suspension is going to be probably a stage 2 Alfaholics or a fast road Classicalfa handling kit. Koni adjustable shocks front and rear with Eibach lowering springs. The brakes are going to be again either Classicalfa wilwood 4 pot calipers with the cross drilled vented discs. The interior is what I was talking about. The seats are the main issue. I don't have rear seats so will probably go the way some Alfaholics cars and have a couple of locker compartments . Will also have a roll cage. The front seats are going to Recaros in leather ( modernish ones) I have a set from my old Evo VII lying around. These are cloth but can be changed to leather easily. I have already obtained the glass in my last UK visit and it should be on the way soon.

So yes... as you have suggested.
https://www.alfaholics.com/our-cars/completed-builds/alfaholics-gta-r-016-usa-market/build-completed/

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
the car body work is started. Rusted all over. Would be scrapped in any other country. Due to local rarity and sheer pigheadedness have to proceed......spoke to the metal worker panel beater today. He says doable and that with a grin. He is taking it as a challenge
I have nothing but full respect for you and your amazing restorations, and of course the people that do the panel work, but your panel beater should know that the bottom of the doors and sills/rockers are not straight.

That repair piece looks straight, but maybe the photo?

Yes the inner frame of the door is straight but the outer door panel is curved meaning that repair piece at the bottom of the door has to have the same curve. I've done this repair on my drivers door and the hair I lost doing it will never grow back ... :surprise:

Best
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kamhus your panel beater looks to be very experienced and confident in what he is doing, Pete is right about the curve factor in the doors and sills not easy to replicate that but we shall see. I do know that you can now buy the bottom part of the door as a repair panel if you should need it. Good luck with the project I am interested to see how it turns out because I have a step nose to restore also and will learn from this.
Tim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
further panel work

I will certainly take the advice on board. The curve in the sills and doors is important, Yes sills are available. The issue is getting them into Pakistan. we have a very repressive customs regime which although not Cuba like is certainly approaching it. The country was at one time although a US ally had a political leaning and economic management similar to the eastern Europeans and CUBA. e haven't entirely grown out of it.

Sarf,,, the panel beater sent me these photos...... work continues

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello Kamhus,

Nice work on a great car. I saw your post on GTV6 and 912, wow !!

I will follow this one with interest :)

Chris

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the resurrection continues

I myself am surprised at the amount of rust that is being needed to cut out of the car. The denter just gives a grin....and just carries on.... heres to hoping.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The metal work

Huge amounts of rust... since the car is from Karachi... near the sea with salt air and humidity as well. But just as well....the work is proceeding. It may be easier to get panels from abroad and that could be more authentic but I will leave that for last. Since the man is an artist I will let him be. Meanwhile the left side being done. Some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I believe you are not obsessed with originality but just in case here is what the rear arch flare (?) is supposed to look like: https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105-series/panels/coupe/rear-wing-early/

Maybe, since you have access to the internet, printing off a few pictures would help your panel man :). I utterly believe he could make anything! Talent

Best
Pete

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
further progress and the wheelarch

Greetings form sunny and humid Lahore again although the weather is a changing. The evenings and mornings are cooler. Work on the GT continues with the side being almost complete. The denter "Sarf" works on happily. Hand him a new car and he mopes....
@PSk certainly I do take your point about the wheelarch. New arches are available for ebspares and classicalfa amongst others. Havent decided whether to go in for Alfaholics GTa arches either... so will leave it for the moment. I do take your point about the arch though... will be sorted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts