Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Looking at starting work on an old alfa gt junior full restoration project (mainly Bodywork).

The car is complete but fitted with a 2ltr gtv engine.

Tried to hook up the battery and the thing sparked liked crazy.

Before taking the whole car apart I would like to run the engine to see what condition its in.

Can anyone provide me with some advise with regards to starting the engine in the car without using the existing wiring loom?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looking at starting work on an old alfa gt junior full restoration project (mainly Bodywork).

The car is complete but fitted with a 2ltr gtv engine.

Tried to hook up the battery and the thing sparked liked crazy.

Before taking the whole car apart I would like to run the engine to see what condition its in.

Can anyone provide me with some advise with regards to starting the engine in the car without using the existing wiring loom?
Haven't dived into wiring on these yet but couldn't you simply get 12v to the coil and provide a good ground?

EDIT - you'll need to get power to the starter as well, but only long enough to get her cranking. Couldn't you use a second battery for that and only make a connection (using thick cables) for as long as need to get her spinning over?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So one battery to the coil and another to the starter, then once it gets going I pull the one off the starter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts