Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Alfisti,

Disclaimer: If this seems to long cut to last sentence chase and move on, OK?
Well, the beat goes on. Thanksgiving, last weekend and yesterday were productive in the world of Italian car repair. First off on Turkey Day I drove my son's 91 164L Verde rescue project to his house and he drove it to work on Saturday. Now, I have two open bays in garage again.

Friday morning we baby-sat the granddaughter in the morning while my grandson had outpatient surgey.

Friday afternoon , Bill came by to get Alfa tools so he and Don can pull front cam from his 91 164L and send me cam and tappets for heads I have ready to set up for his bent valve rescue project.

Saturday was a day of rest from Alfa projects if I remember correctly. But Myron called with a tale of woe as his 95 164LS after sitting dead for a few weeks while he was in NJ was not running well.

Sunday after church, David came over to work on Maser Biturbo Spider. I went to Myron's and fixed his LS by unplugging, cleaning and greasing AFM connector but committed to take it for test drive and do some longer overdue maintenance. Can you believe he put 18,000 on it since I did his last oil change in June 2005 (he had stuck glove box) Once I got it open I found out that info. Also he has about 10,000 miles on it since I did cam timing and timing belt. HIS Car is hot, man do I love that sport mode switch on auto tranny console. SO that BAD BOY got a good "Eyetalain Tuneup"!

Sunday afternoon my son DROVE Maser Spider to his house and then we went and picked up Myron's LS. I staged my 93L in it's place.

Now comes Monday, I started at o'dark thirty before daylight so I could adjust his headlights using my garage door reference points for my daughter's 164B as both his and hers have Series 1 H4 Euro Elma headlights. Fixed glove box (found oil change info and was shocked!), changed oil, inflated tires (one had only 15 psi) and added a can of R134a. So, figured up $ charges and drove car back to his house (I had staged Rosso over there so had a way back). Myron was told to keep up with his car maintenance schedule better now that it runs right for such long periods of time it is almost reliable and he hasn't bugged me in a long while. Lucky me as my wife gets excited when he calls.

No sooner had I put Myron's check in the bank that Marc calls with his like new with only 39,000 mile Milano Gold engine idle woes he has been wrestling with since he got it from original owner. Being low on Milano now on 2.5L spare parts like suspected bad AFM we drove over to Joe's house and swapped out AFM/air cleaner top off his original owner Silver Edition and problem went away.

So then I called Jim to see if he still had spare AFM I had given him when I went out of Milano ownership business. He went home at lunch and got it and we all meet a Harold's Restaurant for lunch and laid the AFM on the bar while we ate.

After lunch we went back to my Strathmoor house with Alfa garage and made AFM swap and made Milano purr again. Suspect air temp sensor in his original AFM.was the problem with idle going haywire even when engine warm.

Now it is time to get gifts wrapped for Alfa holiday party (Dec1) gift exchange in Manteo, NC. Maybe even set up family tree.

Moral of this long story is you can never have to many spare parts but even more so you can never ever have too many Alfa Friends!
Thanks guys for the memories.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Alfa Friends

Steve is right. If I didn't know him or if my father-in-law wasn't involved I would have bailed along time ago. Nice talking with you Sat. I hope to have cam off soon. :cool:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I know the feeling. Lenard and I have had many alfa run meetups and have done many alfa related things together, ah the memories. One of my favorites is when we test drove an auto L that he saw on the street, and asked the owner if it was for sale. After a mile the tranny quit working, only reverse worked, so we drove it back in reverse most of the way. Then on a steep downhill, while leaving the gear lever in first, it went back into gear, albiet with the tires locking up from it suddenly slamming into first at 30 MPH! I was ticked off at the time, but I just laugh about it now. Lenard, he was just laughing about it even while it was happening. Imagine going up hills like you see in San Francisco at 25 in reverse! Oh the tales I can tell of all of our alfa related meetups, memories which I will cherish forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts