Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for running alfa, with half way decent brakes for under $2014 to participate in the Grassroots $2014 Challenge. I find myself in Atlanta and northern Florida in October and would like to enter an Alfa in the event. I live on the west coast so shipping a car over is cost prohibitive.
The car should be able to drive from Atlanta to Gainesville FLA and back or vise versa.
The events are an autocross, drag race, and concours. I don't car about paint fading, or no interior. Looking for a reliable car to start and finish a weekend event. It has to be able to pass an SCCA autocross tech inspection. That's not too hard.
Open to spiders, alfetta's, 164's, Milano and gtv6.
But they have to run and cost me less than $2014.
I can buy a new set of tires and brake pads, they don't count towards the under $2014 rule.

I have to be able to pick up in either the Atlanta or Gainesville/Jacksonville area, by Oct 22nd.

Please PM me. I'm looking forward to having some fun on the weekend in October.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky like in finding an Alfa, or lucky I should get a Volvo or a Miata for reliability?

I'm hoping there is a 164 or a Milano somehwere in the SE for under the $2014 price. The west coast has several runners at that price on a regular basis. I'm checking craigslist GA FLA on a regular basis.

Got my fingers crossed for luck finding an Alfa. Otherwise i've found several Miata's and Neons that might work but wouldnt be as much fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lucky like in finding an Alfa, or lucky I should get a Volvo or a Miata for reliability?

I'm hoping there is a 164 or a Milano somehwere in the SE for under the $2014 price. The west coast has several runners at that price on a regular basis. I'm checking craigslist GA FLA on a regular basis.

Got my fingers crossed for luck finding an Alfa. Otherwise i've found several Miata's and Neons that might work but wouldnt be as much fun.
I was thinking lucky to find an Alfa for $2k that wouldn't mean you spend a large chunk of your weekend standing by the roadside. I guess for this event it can be a rust bucket, as long as it's mechanically sound you should be in good shape. Me, I'd probably go for a 10 year old Corolla. Wish you luck - let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent an email about the 164. If i could get that car i would get high marks on the concours and bope for the best in autocross and drag race. I just want to compete in an alfa.
I also sent an email to spruell motorsport in atlanta looking for some help findind a $2014 alfa for the challenge.
Car just has to pass scca for autocross tech.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It will be tough to be competitive without spending a lot of time preparing an alfa or any $2014 vehicle for that matter. I read the yearly article in the magazine and the drag times are pretty amazing to me on this type of budget. The top finishers tend to look v. good too, and it is apparent a lot of time was spent getting them there with the specific event in mind. If all you care about is just having fun for the weekend, I'd get a more "typical" car that will be easier to sell after the event.

Keep in mind that you can sell parts off to lower your overall cost. I'm looking for a nice black leather interior for the GTV6 :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figure I'd end up in the pack with a bunch of the stock miata guys. Joy is in the participation with an alfa and not the "typical" car?
I may end up on the side of the road most of the weekend or get through with flying colors. Point is as least I tried and will have fun with a lot of others doing the same thing
Entry fee is $150 for the weekend. So if I break down I can always eat my share.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a running 1989 spider in Florida. Owner was willing to part for $2000 since its going to a good home and entered into the $2014 Grassroots Challenge event.
I pick up the car in about a week, drive it to Gainesville and start autocross and drag racing the next day. I'll post some photos.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will they allow you to run a convertable w/out a roll bar? Good luck in the competition!
No roll bar needed for autocross. Drop top is fine. Lots of miatas have done this. A fast drag car will require a roll bar. No need with the alfa.
Should do well in the autocross and concours. 2 for 3 isnt bad. Hope to have lots of fun, share a whole bunch of stories. We'll hope for the best the first time out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts