Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did the popular Alfa engines of the 60's and 70's last before rebuilt heads or blocks became necessary? Is 50,000 miles the norm for a head rebuilt? My 1750 has some 85,000 miles and I am curious to know what type of work one can expect that has been carried out on the engine. Also I would like to have an idea of how long overhaul work should last.
Cheers, James

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I don't have specific long term experience with the Nord but I do with other Italian engines of the era, Fiat and Lancia (real Lancia before the take over) From my experience with Nord as a racing engine I would say they would all be about similar. If they are properly maintained (oil changes, valve adjustments etc) and treated well i.e. proper warm up, I think 85-100k miles is a reasonable expectation. They can be run "tired" beyond that if you are willing to put up with a little oil consumption and some loss of performance.
It will be interesting to hear from fellow BB members to see what the highest milage is someone got out of a Nord.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
r.If they are properly maintained (oil changes, valve adjustments etc) and treated well i.e. proper warm up, I think 85-100k miles is a reasonable expectation.

So this would mean that the engine in 70 GTV could very well be all original? That's pretty impressive for 85,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
My 74 GTV got about 100K miles out of the bottom end before I rebuilt it, crank and bearings were fine, if not new. It had good compression, burned a ton of oil. Original Borgo rings will normally not last that long, especially the one-piece oil rings. I'd expect them to be worn by 60-80K miles, depending. And heads will rarely last that long, burning a decent amount of oil by 50-75K, again depending. These are ballpark figures, I'm sure there's evidence of better and worse.

My Giulietta Veloce had a valve job from new at like 25K miles. Why? Not sure. At the other extreme, Jack Hagerty in the Bay Area had 300K miles on his GTV, not sure how many rebuilds, but that's good service regardless.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts