Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't know anyone who has tried it. My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be too bad a these swaps go.

You would also have to put in the Alfa transmission and rear end, because the Fiat units are pretty marginal above 140hp. A lot of the high powered Fiat 124s have Fiat 131 transmissions, and Ford 8" rear ends.

The Fiat twin cam engine is actually really good. I don't think I would replace it with an Alfa engine. The Alfa engine is better, but not that much better.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS.COM

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunatly we don't have those great engines in the US. But I do have an extra TS and an extra 124 body........just thinking!

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
I don't know anyone who has tried it. My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be too bad a these swaps go.
Not trying to sound negative, but no engine swap is easy. Two hitches I can see putting an Alfa twinspark into a Fiat 124:

- The 124 has its intake on the left and exhaust on the right. The Alfa is the reverse. So a whole new exhaust system would need to be engineered.
- The twinspark is pretty tall, due to the valve angle. I know it is tough fitting one under an Alfa spider hood, and I would expect the same problems in a Fiat spider.

The Fiat twin cam engine is actually really good. I don't think I would replace it with an Alfa engine. The Alfa engine is better, but not that much better.
And that's the bottom line for most engine swaps: Put half the time and money that an engine swap requires into making your Fiat driveline faster/better/cleaner and you will be way ahead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts