Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please advise me when the rear end gear ratios were changed
from 4.56 to 4.10 in the Series Three / Series Four Spiders.

Also, the 1750 Spiders had a 4.10 ratio as an option in 1971 I am told. Can someone verify this?

What years were the automatic Spiders produced? Did thay have a 3.73
(11:41) or a 3.58 (12:43) ratio?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
USA version Spiders.
69-79 - 4.56, 41/9. LSD from 1972, optional in 69 & 71. No 4.10 option.
80-94 - 4.10, 41/10. Manual gearbox.
91-94 - 3.58, 43/12. Automatic gearbox

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Jim,
There was a 4.3 diff, I think in the Euro Sedans. Do you have any data - years, models, LSD, etc??

Thanks - Robert

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Also, the 1750 Spiders had a 4.10 ratio as an option in 1971 I am told. Can someone verify this?
I can not verify that the 4.10 was available in '69 - '71. But, it could well be true. 5.12 may have been available as an option as well.

However, the odds of locating one of those special order 1750's is pretty low. If you want a 4.10 differential, finding a post-1980 spider would be far easier.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Without having any parts books at hand to study, I'll assume the following for Euro version cars;

68-72 1750 GTV & Spider - 4.10 open, LSD optional
68-72 1750 Berlina - 4.30 open, LSD optional
71 on 2000 GTV & Spider - 4.10 LSD
71 on 2000 Berlina - 4.30 LSD

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Without having any parts books at hand to study, I'll assume the following for Euro version cars;
Jim:

Are you saying that those lower numerical ratio differentials were standard in Europe, or that they were offered there as options? I.e., while US-delivery cars got the 4.56 as standard, were the corresponding standard ratios for Europe 4.10 & 4.30?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is the first in a Series

I'm going to try to make a Series of videos of the Complete Differential Set-Up procedure using the Factory Tools and the Factory publications. Give me a little time and I'll post it all. It's a long drawn-out procedure that takes me about twelve hours to do completely, with new bearings and all. At the end, I'll mark the gear set with machinist bluing to show you the gear mesh that is produced with a proper set-up.
I've done a few "set-ups" perfect in the past several years. I'd say with proper maintenance, a Alfa Rear-End Differential Assembly could last a lifetime or longer. Improper maintenance can destroy a good differential in a heartbeat. I know one guy who exploded the Aluminum casting of the differential trying to drive the car a few hundred feet to the Shell station without gear lube. (Wasn't Me!)

I hope this concludes to be very informative for everyone.

Lets' take a look at the Pinion Backlash first.

This video shows how the Ring Gear is locked-up using the Oil Plug Locking tool.

With the Ring Gear locked, a Dial Indicator is used to measure the amount of Gear Backlash existing between the Pinion Gear and the Ring Gear. The Alfa Manual allows .15 to .25 millimeters of Backlash for the 105 / 115 differentials.

This check is made at four places on the ring gear by unlocking the gear, rotating the weighted tool one revolution , relocking, and then re-indicating the tool - four times. If you have it between .15 and .25 millimeters at all four locations, the pinion backlash is correct.

I'LL GET BACK TO THESE VIDEOS WHEN THE WEATHER GETS A BIT BETTER. I BET IT WILL TAKE 15 TO 20 VIDEOS.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looking forward to the tutorial

Suscribe me as well.

·
Premium Member
13,990 Posts
I parted out a 1970 Euro spec Spider that had been imported from Canada. I am almost certain that it had a 4.3 axle.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ratios Chart

I've been working on this wall chart drawing for a while and don't consider it complete. I'll post it here now for you guys following this post but I will eventually complete it so we can have a chart for the garage. Please send me your comments or corrections if you see things that you know are incorrect.

( I probably could send a copy to Papajam and let him fill it out one night, but then I wouldn't have anything to do for the next six months. )

You can see that ALFA (ZF in Germany) made a lot of different ratios - nine different ratios for the
105 / 115. I understand some of the ring gears had 10 hole flanges and some had 8 hole flanges. This refered to the tapped mounted holes that were used to mount the rings to the carrier. I've only seen 8-hole models. It could very well be that the 750/101 series cars had the 10-hole carriers and gears.

I'd love to have one of each just for toys.

3/2013 I UPDATED THE CHART WITH A GEAR SET I FORGOT. ALSO ADDED THE ALFA PART NUMBER. ALL THE GEAR SETS WERE LISTED IN THE 1982 DEALER PRICE LIST BOOK EXCEPT THE LIGHT WEIGHT ONES.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
I find it interesting that all differentials in Little Italian's chart have a prime number of teeth on the ring gear (e.g., 41 or 43 teeth). I guess this minimizes the number of times that the same pair of ring and pinion teeth come in contact with each-other. That way, a burr or other irregularity on a tooth will take longer to wear out the mating gear.

For example, a 45:10 ring and pinion would produce a 4.50 ratio - quite close to the 4.56 ratio that a 43:9 yeilds. However with a 45:10, the same teeth are in contact every other rotation of the ring. With the 43:9 the same teeth are in contact every ninth rotation of the ring. So it should take an irregularity 4-1/2 times as long to cause the same amount of wear in the 43:9 as on the 45:10.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Rear End ratios.

I had the rear end ratios in my chart labeled backwards. Sometimes my brain just don't want to work - very hard. Our friend ConeDriver - George Schweikle came over and straightened me out. His brain works better.

I also added the Alfa Part Numbers for the different ratios but did know the Automatic Ratio Part Number. Just for fun.....

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jim,
There was a 4.3 diff, I think in the Euro Sedans. Do you have any data - years, models, LSD, etc??

Thanks - Robert
Giulia range Euro cars with manual gearboxes had as standard:
8/41 (5.12) for 1600 (ti, S, ti super) and 1300ti
9/43 (4.78) 1300 super
9/41 (4.55) for 1300 (4 gears sedan, GTJ, spider), 1600 (super, GT, GTJ, spider), 1st series 1750 (all versions)
10/43 (4.3) second series 1750 (all versions), 2000 sedan. LSD was an option.
10/41 (4.1)LSD: 2000 (GTV and spider)

Informations I have say that US spiders in the 80s used to have shorter ratio, while 11/41 (3.72, but I heard of a 11/43 - 3.90 for the sedan) has been the auto gearbox standard, except IV series spider that had 12/43 (3.58)

For sure 1300 GTJ and spider had a shorter 5th gear (.85 instead of .79)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Berlina diff ratios in Australia

I have been looking at 2 LSD's out of Berlinas this weekend and wished I had studied ALFA BB a little more beforehand. As a result I missed some info that may have given me a conclusive answer. Still not having an answer I am putting my questions out there in the hope of some assistance.
Background: In Australia the Berlina manual came with a 43 LSD. The example I have just seen (on car) was stamped (on the diff housing) right bottom panel with a 4 3. This is consistent with past examples I have owned of the 4 3.
The other diff (claimed to be out of a manual) had a stamp in the same position of what looked like the top of a 4 but could have been an incomplete 1 and a clear 9. I know that to be sure have a look inside, which I did but could not locate the ratio thinking the numbers I could see were the reference they were 392035 4061004090.
The automatic Berlina in Australia I understand came with a 3 9 LSD. I was thinking initially the diff was just that, but now having read the info on the threads I am not so sure.
Can somebody please help by verifying if they have seen a stamped auto diff and what were the numbers.
Does anybody know if the numbers above state what ratio it is?
Finally, if it is not a 3 9 out of an auto, what could it be? (definitely LSD based on housing)
Cheers and thanks for bearing with me :sweatdrop:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts