Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched prev posts, but no luck....anyone know if there are any opportunities for qualified people for an Alfa Dealership yet in the US? What is the deal with Alfa and future dealerships in the US? A friend in Tx asked me to find out any info. Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
An informed ( but of course to be unnamed) source said that Alfa is having 2nd and 3rd thoughts because of the way the US$ is tanking (it's even less than par with the Canadian $). It is just getting so expensive for foreign products to be sold here, except for maybe the Chinese products being sold here under cost.

Maybe Alfa should set up a small "final assembly" plant in the US, as others have done to cut final costs.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
From what I've heard, the plan was to use existing Maserati dealerships as a starting off point for the U.S. Market. Fiat is planning on having Maser and Alfa share a lot of stuff in the future (i.e. platforms, mechanical bits, etc.) to keep costs under control, while still being able to expand the brands. I've heard Maser wants a baby Q-porte sharing the upcoming 166 replacement underpinnings. The plan is to allow Maser to align it's products against BMW, M/Benz and Jaguar offerings.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They should've just stuck around after the 1995 model year. Losing money is nothing new to Fiat. Lotus has had worse years than Alfa Romeo and they never left. Now its harder to come back than ever. The value of the dollar sucks and Alfa doesn't make very competitive products anymore. This is a recipe for disaster. I think they should wait. In a way, I'm glad Alfa hasn't made an official announcement about anything. It shows they are at least thinking about the situation. A lot could happen between now and 2009.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
They should've just stuck around after the 1995 model year. Losing money is nothing new to Fiat. Lotus has had worse years than Alfa Romeo and they never left. Now its harder to come back than ever. The value of the dollar sucks and Alfa doesn't make very competitive products anymore. This is a recipe for disaster. I think they should wait. In a way, I'm glad Alfa hasn't made an official announcement about anything. It shows they are at least thinking about the situation. A lot could happen between now and 2009.
I agree. Regardless of our crappy economy and getting worse due to cheap credit and now housing market going down the tubes, they still need to be in the US to make more sales and be competitive!

2009/10 most likely 2011 before we see the cars the average guy/gal can buy anyway. I think it would be dumb not to be in this market. They are in plenty of markets that have a terrible economy!

Anyways, I have heard through the network it will happen sooner or later but they are making it right before they plunge in again.

We are all feeling the heat of the dropping dollar. Even Canada is higher than us now. You should see my shipment cost these days as opposed to just even 2-3 years ago. Doubled!

So I suspect they will be coming back but in time. As mentioned earlier I have already seen a audi dealer pull out and move right next door to the maser dealership in scottsdale. All their masers are over there in that dealership now with Ferrari in the old one. hmmm? Could it be?

JAson

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys for the valued imput. I will report accordingly to my friend.

The weak dollar is no excuse, we are still buying imports. Yes, Alfa has improved quality, but they are expensive cars. My brother in law in N Italy says for just a few extra euros, you get a BMW!!! Heck, maybe hes not really an alfa guy, huh...LOL!!

Joe

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Italians see Alfa Romeos everyday. In Italy, their is no exclusivity about owning one. Most of my cousins in Italy prefer German cars because they are known to be more reliable. Alfas don't stand out over there the same way they do in other parts of the world. The police men in Italy drive Alfas just like the police men in America drive Fords. Yes, a BMW is no Alfa but then again an Alfa is no BMW either. If I had grown up and lived in Italy I don't think that I would be as enthusiastic about Alfas as I am here in the states.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
It is my understanding that Alfa will be with Maserati, at least for a while. If someone wants to build a Maserati dealership (no Ferraris) and add Alfa when they come, I think there would be no problem getting approval from Maserati USA IF the money was there to do things right. The intent seems to eventually have Alfa and Maserati SEPERATE from Ferrari....

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
It is my understanding that Alfa will be with Maserati, at least for a while. If someone wants to build a Maserati dealership (no Ferraris) and add Alfa when they come, I think there would be no problem getting approval from Maserati USA IF the money was there to do things right. The intent seems to eventually have Alfa and Maserati SEPERATE from Ferrari....
Lets not forget the Millions of dollars needed to open a dealership. Most will go to existing dealerships anyway.
Not to mention the ridiculous amount of parts buy in at the beginning as well which is mandatory to be in the Alfa Service/parts/sales network.
Most of the time they will send you parts that will never sell too.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts