Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of you seen to love watches timers almost as much as Our Alfas.
Now that i seem to be able to post a photo sometimes
here is 1 of my Alfas with the triple Heuer set. The 2 mounting holes on both sides are not drilled in to my dash(do not worry) there fake screw heads, behind the the timers the bolts go through the raido holes.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the Heuer Triple set in the Alfa

Hi crew I have no idea how old this post is . But I found it on a search on Yahoo. I was looking for Heuer parts and this post came up. Wow!
Well here is the photo some years latter
Take Care
Heuer Ho
PSB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HI Benji,
Thanks at the time the photo was taken I think thay where worth more than the car!!!!
Peter
I guess we dont Have too many cross over car watch/ timer folks here.
PSB

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool!!!!!!!!
I can not tell but I hope that is not condensation I see on the crystal. I am a Watchmaker that specializes in Chronographs. That moisture gets in the luminus and will get darker and faded and may even start to rust No kidding.

I can not tell but if thay are like the ones on my 750 , 3 button , (note the script) is it printed in the same manner? if so, You may want to take them out and save them or sell them for BIG$$$$ and get the 2 button M.Carlos with the not scripted type writing on the dial.
You will have a couple of extra grand in your pocket you will still have a triple set but more like the era of your car too.
You can regulate them to keep better time as it was regulated in the full up position you could easy see up to a full 20-30 seconds diff.
Keep them coming guys. Heuer and racing 1 in 1!
Peter batagios

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Peter, I'm not sure how old mine are, they may not be as old as yours. And don't worry, there is no moisture in them! I will snap a few pictures tonight and maybe you can tell me exactly what I've got.
I do know they have been installed since the car was new. The dash has never been cut for a radio!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is incredible!!! very cool.
Note the photos above Monte Carlo script The triple set on my 750 Alfa have a differant script compared to the other in posted. The others are newer.but still have the older 3 buttons. The newer stuff only has 2 buttons for the stop watch part.
You know, you Really have something there.
Your dash and wood are also stunning, nice job.
PSB

·
Registered
561 Posts
A few months back,on ebay there were 2 nice heuers one with box and papers.I dropped out of the bidding at 1500 and 1200.I did not know they were that collectible,i just wanted them for my gtv.What advice or resources would you recomend to someone looking to educate themselves prior to purchasing a set.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
nero said:
What advice or resources would you recomend to someone looking to educate themselves prior to purchasing a set.
Good question! I'm also interested in purchasing a set. The Heuer ones are probably a bit out of my price range, but I notice there are a few other brands (Hanhart, Herwins, Smiths, the Russian MIG ones, etc), perhaps PSB could give us a quick run-down on what is good and what is rubbish, and what we should look for when buying?

There seems to be a few MIG units around with clock/stopwatch function in the one piece, which I could mount where my original radio is on the dash perhaps?

Also, could anyone tell me anything about this stopwatch, it appears to be a genuine Heuer, but I'm not sure what type/model it is, and what it is worth, and whether there would be a clock to match.

Any assistance would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Damo105 said:
There seems to be a few MIG units around with clock/stopwatch function in the one piece, which I could mount where my original radio is on the dash perhaps?
Hi!

Recently I purchased in eBay a Russian MIG plane watch.
It's a nice piece, perhaps a little big, but looks great, in period with the car.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Crew;
yes I can help with all these ?s. But I will have to come back.
1st Yes The Mig is a nice unit. Copy of a downed WW2 Le coultre timer 24 hour Ther are 2 types. The L.Coultre you can see in a lot of pre war cars
It is to large for you radio holes. But can go under dash very nice Do a search here You will see some nice installs and more info posted on this.
The Nice dash/ Heuer you poasted the VERY nice photos of. The timers like this hardly ever bring more than $100.00 Yours is extra nice still having the stick on back add 25 to 50.00 more.
The other are not rubbish. You pay for the History and sadly markiting. But Heuer odes hold all the history GP F1 dash timers in the 1800s the 1st with many mods.
Heuer Rules!
There is a site called On The Dash .com .
Prices seem to keep going north.
I will be back.
Peter

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
PSB - Thanks for the info. I just bought a Mig unit on ebay, supposedly brand new, old stock still in box, and never installed in a plane. It has the 'B' on the dial, and looks brand new from the pics. I paid 74GBP (about $150usd?), which I hope was a fair price!

Will have to figure out where to install it now. I might make up a timber or vinyl covered box for it, and somehow hang it under the dash above the console.

I'll also probably keep looking for a set of stopwatches to mount where the old radio was. The Hanhart ones seem to be a lot more reasonable in price than the Heuer, so I will just bide my time until I find a good set for a good price!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Damo; Please do a search and see the mig in a 105 ,
The "B" means #s and hands luminate under ultraviotet light. If no "B". It luminates under red light. These are super wonderful Clock/timers.
--------------------------
**Heuer was founded in 1860 he was 20 years old. ( same year as Abe Lincoln was elected)
Heuer patents crown winding mechanism for pocket watches in 1869.
Heuer is one of the 1st watchmakers to adopt Mass Production of chronographs. Used in all manner of ways Hourse racing, lab. work Etc.
*** Dash Timer, On the dash, called "Time Of Trip" Patent was 1911. The 1st Dashboard Chronograph.
*** Heuer invents the 1st 1/100th of a second stop watch in 1916.
Heuer 1927 Official Time Keeper of Ski Bobsled and Auto racing
*** Heuer Autavia 1933 ( auto and air) 1st on the dashboard instument for Race Cars.
*** The biggie for us Chrono guys is 1887 Ed Heuer Patents the Famous "Oscillating Pinon"
*** Heuer develops a water resistant wrist Chronograph 1937.
**Heuer The 1st to put a tachymeter scale on a wrist chronograph 1948.
Heuer 1969 1st Micro rotor automatic Chronograph Jo Siffert Swiss Formula 1 Driver wears the Chronomatic.
Heuer from 1971 to 1979 Official Timekeeper of Scuderia Ferrari.
*** Heuer 1974 Worlds 1st computer-assisted timekeeping system developed for AUTO RACING. On a side note. Walker racing was the 1st given from Heuer to test the new Heuers Timers. Johnny walker scotch Robbie Walker family Big time Racers.
It goes on and I have just touched on some of the high lights. The chronograph Horology goes back much farther and on and on.
Truth Be said Heuer dash timers are the best to see in our cars and Planes
Enjoy
Peter S. Batagios
aka: PSB Accutime

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Ok here's a better shot of my clocks. I apologize in advance for how dusty they are. The left clock is a single hour timer and is labeled an "AUTO RALLYE". The middle is a MONTE CARLO with the 11 hour window. Interestingly, it says “PAT APPL FOR” whereas one of your pictures says PATENT”. Both timers have plastic bezels that are heavily crazed. The right is just a clock with a separate seconds display. It is called a “HERVUE” and the bezel is glass. They all say "Abercrombie & Fitch Co" on them and work well. I usually give them a little exercise when I drive the car.

Peter, can the bezels be replaced? Is that advisable? I appreciate any input you have. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice.
Yes we can take care of any Heuer needs. Feel free to email me at home. no PMs
I have done a full R&R on a set for a BBer or 2.
I would rather not mail. we can meet at some Alfa Event.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry for the offtopic, but I wanna show you my solution to have a stop watch in my car. By far not as nice as the Heuer but very practical to use for the driver. I bought it quite cheap (about 50 Dollars) new at a customer in Germany and really like that it's black with white digits like the original instruments. The brand is AGAT (russian I think), but the quality is very good for this price...

Don't notice the modern radio, but the car was my daily commuter...

I also added a black/white oil temperature gauge and the modern looking box on the center console is a Lambdameter. I like to know how my engine feels like :D

Regards Clemens

1 - 20 of 55 Posts