Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The alfa will be made at the Mirafiori works in late 2012 alongside the new compact jeep. They will share some compononents and systems, including engines. Powerplants to be used are:
1. fiat 2 liter 140 and 170
2. chrysler 2.0 and 2.4 liter
Based on the c-evo chassis, it will be 40mm wider and slightly longer than the giulietta and more aerodynamic than the Kamal concept. I'm trying to determine if the chrysler 2.4 is roughly equivalent to the 1.75 liter turbomotor from fiat. It will have an awd option at launch in global markets.

·
Registered
784 Posts
where is this info coming from? fiat group engines are probably diesels, but I really hope that Alfa is not getting these ancient Chrysler petrol engines.. of maybe they will modifie those with multiair and turbo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Info came from an e-mail dialog with Luca Ciferri , chief correspondent for Autonews Europe based in Italy. He didn't say those fiat engines were diesels, and the chrysler engines are getting muti-air technology. The engines are a new series called World Engines even though they have not changed displacements. No mention of turbos were made for them. There have been instances where the italian turbos have been finicky in warranty claims. I am trying to determine whether the chrysler 2.4 is roughly equivalent to the fiat 1.75 turbomotor. I'm not wild about turbomotors necessarily.

·
Registered
784 Posts
they are probably diesels because Fiat doesnt have 2 litre engine. Fiat has only 1.4L and 1.75L as used in Alfa, and then in Brazilian Fiats they have 1.8L

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't realize Luca was referring to the 1.9 diesel, but I'd rather buy the 2.4 chrysler anyway. Stock tires and exhaust are both junk and I would upgrade both soon after delivery. Dealer is going to change the tires and a custom shop is going to replace the exhaust with a stainless catback.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are they seriously expecting to build an Alfa Jeep and not offer a V6 option?!? Are you sure this wasn't an email regarding the Honda Motor Company instead?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are they seriously expecting to build an Alfa Jeep and not offer a V6 option?!? Are you sure this wasn't an email regarding the Honda Motor Company instead?
If a 4-banger (and a flathead, at that) was good enough for Gen. Patton, just what exactly is your problem?

Total SNARK, you know. Actually, taking the Jeep back to a fun/beach accessory might not be a bad thing. I rebuilt a '47 CJ2A with my father years ago. When he'd take it hunting, others in their Broncos and Blazers realized he could get to places they couldn't. He actually had a few make offers for it.

Perhaps it's time to court-martial the SUV/Hummer category.

What would George have thought about cup-holders, anyway?

·
Registered
432 Posts
If a 4-banger (and a flathead, at that) was good enough for Gen. Patton, just what exactly is your problem?
What was "good enough" for Gen. Patton in 1944 is not good enough for the American buying public in 2011...and it's especially not good enough for a brand like Alfa Romeo if a 4-banger is the only option.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of an "old skool" Jeep with 4 cylinders and no cup-holders but if Alfa is going to come here and expect to jump in with the ranks of the other European brands here w/o a 6 cylinder option, no one will take them seriously.

And when Fiat speaks of building a "Jeep" Alfa, they aren't talking about something like the Wrangler, they're talking about something more like the Compass which is a piece of crap that even Jeep enthusiasts hate.

Now, if Fiat intended to build a "Jeep" Alfa out of a Wrangler and call it the Nuova Matta, it would be something entirely different and cool. If they offered it with the same 2.5 turbo diesel engine they put in European Wranglers and sell in the states it would be even cooler...but I don't think Fiat has what it takes to give something like that a go. So they might as well stick with what's been working for every other brand in the USA...and that is to offer a V6 option in their Alfa "street Jeep."

·
Registered
415 Posts
What was "good enough" for Gen. Patton in 1944 is not good enough for the American buying public in 2011...and it's especially not good enough for a brand like Alfa Romeo if a 4-banger is the only option.
Agreed. The first part of my comment really was just snark :)

Arna said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of an "old skool" Jeep with 4 cylinders and no cup-holders
Also, agreed - and more down below.

Arna said:
but if Alfa is going to come here and expect to jump in with the ranks of the other European brands here w/o a 6 cylinder option, no one will take them seriously.
Right, unfortunately.. unless Alfa actually has something beyond a re-bodied generation-old product that is as good or better than those other Euro brands' products, Alfa will, unfortunately, flounder. Jumping in and trying to beat others at their game is exactly what I fear Alfa will do - and doom them.

Arna said:
And when Fiat speaks of building a "Jeep" Alfa, they aren't talking about something like the Wrangler, they're talking about something more like the Compass which is a piece of crap that even Jeep enthusiasts hate.
Right - see doomed, above.

Arna said:
Now, if Fiat intended to build a "Jeep" Alfa out of a Wrangler and call it the Nuova Matta, it would be something entirely different and cool. If they offered it with the same 2.5 turbo diesel engine they put in European Wranglers and sell in the states it would be even cooler...but I don't think Fiat has what it takes to give something like that a go.
Bingo! Fiat lacks the 1.) imagination, and 2.) willingness to take a risk to actually succeed in the U.S. Fiat pulled one out of its hat with the 500 - out-Mini-ing the Mini, and making it affordable (relatively speaking). And while the latest 500 doesn't come close to the 2001 Mini's tank-like (sorry, George) build quality, it undercuts it in price, while ranking even higher on the cuteness scale. Win.

Changing the automotive conversation re: Jeep, which could and should be done, given the current product/cr*p being produced would take effort, $, time - and imagination - instead of glue and a box of snazzy badges. Consumer Reports, which provides an excellent, non-enthusiast, yardstick IMHO allowed that the latest Dodge/Chrysler updates were an improvement, but barely good enough. It's like the poor Jeep is begging for some life to be injected into it - this time by the Italians, now that the Germans are done with it. The General's gotta be spinning in his grave about now, incidentally.

Arna said:
So they might as well stick with what's been working for every other brand in the USA...and that is to offer a V6 option in their Alfa "street Jeep."
I will concede that doom will engulf Alfa even faster w/ only a 4-cyl. in an uninspired design.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Alfa Romeo Matta in action (for anyone unfamiliar with the vehicle). Power was from a 1.9, 4-cyl engine connected to a 4-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To my knowledge, the alfa is indeed a crossover, not an suv like jeep. It's somewhat like the Kamal concept but more rakish and aerodynamic. A V6 would probably be too nose heavy for either the alfa or the compact jeep. I'm favoring the alfa for the awd option. Styling would be a blend of MiTo and giulietta.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts