Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if I believe that list at all. I'd surely thing any Ferrari would be more collectible than the Mustang. Also older Mopars and soaring in price now and they aren't on the list either.

I'm not sure what that list is based on, maybe the cars they sell the most of, but then I wouldn't think Alfa would be on there.... there really aren't that many for sale on teh 'bay.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Collectable ferraris are a select few.....numbers wise can not even make a dent on the mass numbers of the cars listed above. I dont know where these guys came up with alfas as a high number collectable comparing with these other numerously seen American cars. Alfas are cool, but I dont se many of them!!
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea, obviously I have no idea what they base it on, number of cars sold, sales volume, whatever. I was just surprised to see it there at all. Especially since as you both point out, there aren't many for sale on ebay compared to the others on their list. Also interesting that it is the only non american car on the list.

- Rich D.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused: Ah, what about the '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk with the blown 289:cool:

·
Registered
409 Posts
It looks to me like they left an aweful lot of cars off the list, and as has been mentioned they don't give any criteria. Are they going to tell us that Alfas are now more collectible than Mopar Hemis, big Healys, Jags (xk120-E-type). I don't see Alfa prices reflecting that viewpoint except for a very few older models. At this year's Barratt-Jackson in Scottsdale, the Giulietta coupe did well, but it still sold for 1/2 the price of the big Healys.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Maybe eBay's list is based on the number of hits in the Collector Car area. If so, then Alfa would definitely rank high because, you know, we're Always Looking For Another.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I don't know if I believe that list at all. I'd surely thing any Ferrari would be more collectible than the Mustang. Also older Mopars and soaring in price now and they aren't on the list either.

I'm not sure what that list is based on, maybe the cars they sell the most of, but then I wouldn't think Alfa would be on there.... there really aren't that many for sale on teh 'bay.
I would believe that the ebay list is for what people most commonly buy as far as sports cars, not just look at. I'm sure we'd all love a testarosa, but we can't exactly all afford one.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
After a quick & very "unscientific" survey of Sports Cars on eBay, the numbers are interesting & 'suggest' how they 'may' have come up w/their "rating"(obviously I'm 'spit-balling' & this is all speculation): of the 5 'Sports Cars' I picked out of eBay's long list of cars for sale, Alfa has the highest % of cars actually getting "bids"=88%. MG=77%...Triumph=73%...Austin Healy=64%...Fiat=54%.

Being the lazy person that I am, I didn't calculate Porsche(too many:1000+)--Jaguar(too much work to separate models)--the 'dreaded' BMWs(way way too many & again too many models). Add to my lazy nature the fact I'm not much of a 'survey' compiler(math-wize), & I have a very short attention span.

Regards

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm betting there are a lot more MG's and Miata's sold on there than Alfa's anyday.
I omitted Miatas--I totally forgot about them! So I just checked eBay for them & yes you're right--MORE of them for sale(90+), but about 25 of them have NOT gotten "bids"--so their % 'of bids' is lower than Alfa.

Again let me mention, these %s probably mean nothing! I'm just trying to figure how Alfas 'may-have-made' eBay's "Top 10 Collectable Car" list.

Regards

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well hell, IF EBAY SAYS IT'S COLLECTIBLE.....my '86 Spider is now available to the first one of you esteemed lot who clicks on my 'Buy It Now' price of $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 . And 3 cents. Considering that that military will pay twice that for a tampon, my Spider is a bargain. Will the real Bill Gates please step forward...

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts