--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,149 Posts
It was painted gold around 1979. New top,seat
covers,all new rubber mats including trunk, carpet on trans tunnel, 5 tires,
rebuilt calipers, rebuilt clutch hyd.,rebuilt webers, rebuilt head,
new rings, found all little pieces that were missing. All lights work.It
just needs a small amount of body work and a good paint job. It is
originally white with black interior.
Geez, Wes, everytime I turn around you have another Duetto. How many do you have?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
69Spider

Pinsx3;

It's only a day drive. Start off with a car dolly early in the morning. Pick up a Huckleberry milkshake at St. Regis, Montana as you head north the Kalispell, and you'll be back home by 12 pm. Drive over after the thaw in the spring though.

Wes

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
duettos and boat tails are not the same

Hello and welcome to Cawfee talk. Today's discussion: are duettos the same as boat tails. Discuss.

I think, technically, duettos were only built in 1600 form. In 1969 they were boat tails or round tails. So, my understanding is that they are not the same.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You are correct!

Hello and welcome to Cawfee talk. Today's discussion: are duettos the same as boat tails. Discuss.

I think, technically, duettos were only built in 1600 form. In 1969 they were boat tails or round tails. So, my understanding is that they are not the same.
(I hope the Ed McMahon voice came thru over the net!) :rolleyes:Duettos were a 1966-67 phenomenon...no '68s delivered in US...1969s were 1750s...then they cut the tail off in 71. I don't think the US got 1970s either, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats my understanding also.
everbody keeps calling mine a Duetto,
But its a 1750 Spider Veloce as far as I understand it.

George

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I Agree!

66-67 Series 1 with a 1600 engine is a Duetto. 69 Series 1 with a 1750 engine round tails or boat tails, but are specifically a 1750 Spider Veloce. The term round tails or boat tails is used to differentiate them from the Series 2 kamm tails that are also a 1750 Spider Veloce that were sold after 71 (at least in the US).

·
Registered
666 Posts
66-67 Series 1 with a 1600 engine is a Duetto. 69 Series 1 with a 1750 engine round tails or boat tails, but are specifically a 1750 Spider Veloce. The term round tails or boat tails is used to differentiate them from the Series 2 kamm tails that are also a 1750 Spider Veloce that were sold after 71 (at least in the US).
Personally, I take no offense when people call a '69 Spider a Duetto- I know there are many differences, but to the untrained eye, they look the same for the most part. I'm just happy when people recognize an Alfa for what it is! I also understand that '66-90's Spiders, series one through four are called Duettos in Italy, if not most of Europe, so it's a technicality that doesn't bug me too much.....;)

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Personally, I take no offense when people call a '69 Spider a Duetto- I know there are many differences, but to the untrained eye, they look the same for the most part. I'm just happy when people recognize an Alfa for what it is!
I feel the same way. If you really want to get persnickety, "boat tail" is a bit of a misnomer. To everyone in the classic car hobby except alfisti, a boat tail refers to rear bodywork that converges to a verticle body line, actually like the bow of a boat rather than the stern, but "boat bow rear" would be a pretty cumbersome description. Think Auburn Speedster. Our Duettos converge to a horizontal body line (more or less) making "round tail" a more acceptable description. Of course, anyone who stayed awake during high school geometry class might argue that round is not a particularly accurate description either. I don't see "semi-circular tail" catching on though. All I know is that if I ever start to sound this pedantic again somebody needs to smack me!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Uncircumcised?

I have a friend in the Alfa repair business who refers to post-Giulia spiders as uncircumcised ('66-69) vs. circumcised (all subsequent.) Seems as appropriate as all of the other titles made up to distinguish between the two basic styles.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
400 Posts
Duetto vs 1750 Spider

When I received information from Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo, they refer to my 66 as
Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 “Duetto” (105.03),

and my future 68 as

Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (105.58)

Just more data....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
duettos and boat tails are not the same

Personally, I feel it is politically correct in certain circumstances for other 69 boat tail owners to call a boat tail a "duetto." However, it is policitcally inappropriate for those who are not 69 boat tail owners to refer to a 69 as a "duetto." To do so is a denigration of those of situated in a certain political alfacentric portion of our sociospicapolitical economy.

For shame.

·
Premium Member
1969 1750 Spider Veloce
400 Posts
ditto!

ditto! ditto!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts