Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Have to admit, pretty impressive! How do the class that this vehicle will race in, deal with a a conversion like this?

I like your writing style xworks. Quite entertaining. The fab skills by the gents over there are remarkable! I was wondering if you had considered the Alfa Sei gearbox? You probably have access to them over there (never sold in US), though I'm not certain if it would have bolted right-up either (and no doubt would need rebuilding)...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
So, it's interesting - fast forward ten years and I wonder where this project went... Was it developed further, sold, launched into the midnight sky perhaps...? I know, I know - this is an Alfa forum, but hang with me here -

Oddly enough, we have had a similar project under consideration for a while now. The Alfa V6 makes all kinds of sense in most any of these custom builds (from E30s, to an E36s - even in an E24!) The E24 land-shark 6xxcsi model is a classy lady, but what a heavy beast! As we all know, the Busso V6 is available in 12 valve or 24v configurations - ranging from anything as small as a 2.0 litre V6 displacement - all of the way up to 3.7 litres (and with everything in-between - 2.5, 3.0, 3.2, 3.45!) Furthermore, all configurations have also been run successfully as forced induction builds as well, so the possibilities are endless.

The most significant revelation here came when we started to consider the "why" - aside from the obvious (I mean, we all LOVE the Alfa V6 for obvious reasons), but why would a dyed in the wool BMW fan go that route? Simple really; the effen BMW engines are all HEAVY - with giant, long, hulking, cast-iron blocks - same crap that was used on the Titanic! They're heavy and LONG! The Alfa has an aluminium block! It's so obvious!

And so it turns out that this was done before! Successfully... (Strange how some things come full circle.) Another South African gentleman (Shaun), that joined Group 2 Motorsports this past year, actually built an E30 in South Africa back in the late '80s with - get this - a TWIN TURBO Alfa V6 motor in the nose! He campaigned the car quite successfully in a variety of hill-climb and road-course races all over South Africa - before moving to the States! He even has the trophies to show for it!

And now that I look at it, it's SO bloody obvious - it was right there all along! Not only does the Alfa V6 weigh a tonne less, with the V6 configuration, you have the remaining weight that now moves WAY back in the chassis (as apposed to the inline-6 configuration of the BMW engine...!) The standard M20 engine in the E30 325i is already bloody long as it is - then BMW South Africa shoved some M30 533/633/733i engines in there (an even LARGER block displacing 3.3 litres), to produce 250 homologation specials (badged as the 333i...) They were street cars, but many went racing! That bloody M30 was so long that the distributor hit the radiator - hence the stupid little small radiators in the stock 333i cars (with their notorious penchant for overheating!)

Anyway, ol' Shaun here stuffed one of the Glenwood Motors 12 valve V6 twin turbos in his E30 and went and cleaned up at the track events! Looking at it (we have an E30 roller sitting here now - looking for a home), the Alfa V6 leaves SO much room in-front of it for a FAT radiator, a huge intercooler etc. - it just unbelievable! There's plenty of room there for the two turbos on the sides as well!

Well, now we're considering building one of these. Naturally, we'd utilize the brilliant 24 valve (and in a large displacement!) Can you imagine? A 24 valve 3.7 litre V6 twin turbo Alfa engine in an E30 with good suspension and brakes? Half-cage...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
First of all interisting story there!

Secondly, I love the Alfa V6 24V!

Well its possible you can put an Alfa 3,8 twin turbo into a E30 or E36 and have a lot of fun, but why not put in in an Alfa GTV6 instead and have even more fun?!

Seen from the viewpoint of a BMW owner, they have sorted out what engine they want in their car if they want hilarious power, well its the Toyota 2JZ engine. Its cheap, durable and 3L 6 cyl gives anything from 500 to 1100Hp. So I dont think the Alfa can look more favourable than that for a BMW owner.

Here some projects to sample, a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Toyota+2JZ+engine+in+BMW

G.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Sad IMO.

BMW make great engines, no need for Toyota engines swaps.
Pete

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Actually it must embarassing for BMW lovers that getting more power out of those cars, means putting a Supra engine into it! :) Outside the BMW community we just smile a bit!

The Alfa community has no reason to point finger however, as the Alfa cars have used GM/Holden engines after the Busso 24V engine production was terminated. Even the latest V6 engine is by most credited to Ferrari, so people think Alfa dont make their own engines any more....

With regards to the above V6 24V project, I just wonder what power output is hoped for in a BMW or a GTV6 as I suggested?

A project here was over 600Hp and even touched 700 HP, but decided to go lower for longer life. Can you JJ reach 700 Hp with a lasting engine or have to try first? :)
Sure something can be learned from this single turbo project with sequential gearbox and launch control. Finally there was no Alfa part in the drive Train, as the ball s in the drive shafts poured into the open under a lauch! Impressing to see but not for the owner! :)

GREATEST VELOCITY. 617WHP ALFA ROMEO - Speedhunters

G.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts