Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this PM on the 164 S oem spoilers that I have for sale here on the BB

A little fishy don't you think?

kalla is on a distinguished road
164 S oem spoilers
Hello

I am interested in buying the 164 S oem spoilers that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffiths

Should you need to reply to me, Please get back in touch with your details to me at:[email protected] for a quick reply.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If nothing else, his name suggests an English speaking background, but his language skills suggest otherwise! That in itself is suspicious.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LOL. He's ended it with 'Yours interestingly'. I wouldn't sell them to anyone, scamer or not, who ended their correspondence like that! Hehehe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
He insisited on buying my free parts. Lives in UK, has warehouse in Canada, certified check, courier, yada yada.

Anybody want some free 164 parts? no scam! Just gotta pick them up in Utah.

Brian

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Me Too

I got one of these also form someone who says they want it shipped to Canada but reside in the UK. In response to a BB ad I placed for a 69 GTV/Berlina heater box awhile back. Been a couple of rounds and it still smells fishy. Worded in poor grammar since the original note which was more polished. They want shippers to come to my house and pick it up. Second round note below. Will not give any personal info in return at all or what car(s) they have. Smells like Tuna from here. Bruce
--------------------------------------
"Hello
Thanks for your response and your mail content duly noted.

You can not belief how only I had wish meeting you personally to discuss this regrettably I am no longer based in the US but now resides here in the U.K on similar business interest and also have a family owned old aged whare house and home located in vancouver Canada (storage & restoration unit) which is being run by my lovely daughter and wife.

So, would you please inform me if I am to purchase it as is bottom line price on the heater box (quote your price minus shipping cost) and in the same doing send to me necessary details--postal address, full name and telephone number(s)--of whom this cheque should be payable to thus my wife could mail the cheque from Canada to you on our behalf. On the shipment, I have a recommended haulier there who will be contracted to meet with you for inspection, survey and arrangement for their being transferred to vancouver.

On getting the cheque cashed and all agreement are proven to be legitimate, he (the haulier) will be directed to establish contact with you for immediate transfer of the item to vancouver where my wife and son are designated for receiving orders made by me or by our customers who has placed such order.

Raymond"

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
He wanted to buy something from me and he said he would of course pay with a certified check but he also needed some personal information about me :cool:.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kalla

Same for me. I sent him and email and asked for his address etc. Told him I should send him money directly if he thought I would fall for this scam.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Raymond the scammer

I received the same kind of an e mail from this scammer regarding some carrilo
rods i have for sale.
This guy uses the same pitch on every one.
But we all know what he is up to know so he will have to find new sukkers.
Bill Bowering

·
Banned
764 Posts
This scam is as old as the net now. I got the same thing from this guy for my cleaning out the garage parts listing. I was selling a BMW M5 motor some years back and reeled in the guy. He sent what was a certified US Money Order - Harris Bank. The check came from NJ to me in AZ. After contacting Harris Bank, they said "yes, it WAS a certified check several years back and this was a counterfeit." The amount was about $10k USD.

So now I'll have a little fun. I stalled and he emailed me several times. I FINALLY sent him one back that said I deposited the money and wasn't going to send him the motor. He went Ballistic!!!!! He even rang me several times from Europe. I finally told him thanks for his telephone number and reported it to the authorities.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
This scam is as old as the net now. I got the same thing from this guy for my cleaning out the garage parts listing. I was selling a BMW M5 motor some years back and reeled in the guy. He sent what was a certified US Money Order - Harris Bank. The check came from NJ to me in AZ. After contacting Harris Bank, they said "yes, it WAS a certified check several years back and this was a counterfeit." The amount was about $10k USD.

So now I'll have a little fun. I stalled and he emailed me several times. I FINALLY sent him one back that said I deposited the money and wasn't going to send him the motor. He went Ballistic!!!!! He even rang me several times from Europe. I finally told him thanks for his telephone number and reported it to the authorities.
Laughing out loud and rolling on the floor! :D:D:D

·
Banned
764 Posts
BTW, I sold the motor to an attorney in Hawaii. He told me the legal US mumbo jumbo on cashier's checques, money orders, postals, etc. which is this. In all cases.

Deposit the funds into your banking account. DO NOT SIGN THE BACK OF THE CHECK!!! When you do this YOU are taking the responsibility for the funds. Banks will tell you to sign the back, but you do not have to. The issue with this is if you sign and get any funds before the check is paid upon, you are liable. If the bank issues funds prior to same, they are liable. The downside is the waiting period.

I went to my bank soon after with a money order from someone for car parts. They told me to sign & I said no! I had to get the bank manager to accept the deposit after I lit into him about his misleading conduct and would report this to the banking board.

FWIW

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just got this email from this guy. It sounded fishy. searched his name and this thread came up. Lets keep a lookout.
I copied the emailand pasted it to my reply on this thread.
Thanks all!!
Sal

"Hello

I am interested in buying the gtv hood that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque or money order.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,

Raymond Griffiths"

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This is the typical boiler room Nigerian Money Scam that's been going on for years. Nothing new here. They send you a legit looking cashiers check for the amount plus extra for shipping or whatnot, you cash it, send extra amount to so called shipper via Western Union. They make the vig (or overage) you get a call from your bank saying check was fraudulent and you have to pay the whole amount. This has been on the wane but many apparently have never seen it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just got this email from this guy. It sounded fishy. searched his name and this thread came up. Lets keep a lookout.
I copied the emailand pasted it to my reply on this thread.
Thanks all!!
Sal

"Hello

I am interested in buying the gtv hood that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque or money order.

Yours interestingly,

Raymond Griffiths"
I received a very similar message regarding a 102 rear axle I have for sale.

Same guy?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I received a very similar message regarding a 102 rear axle I have for sale.

Same guy?
Not really, it's just a form letter that they plug into your axle, spoiler, camera, whatever. They make the minimum adjustments and blanket the net with offers and see who bites. Raymond Griffiths is one of a dozen pseudonyms used by a boiler room scammer.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
........... as I will be paying with a certified cheque ..................

[/B]
I stay clear of these clowns that want to pay by cheque. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
One time I had one of these fools act like they were local and would pick up the item by their personal currier. I said sure thing, come by my office. I gave them the address of the U.S. Marshals Service with my friends name as a contact for when they got there. Funny, they never came by or emailed me again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts