Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably just another false alarm but I read in the USA Today paper at lunch that Alfa could be back in the U.S. "sooner than anybody thinks, maybe within a year" was the statement from one of the new Fiat dealers in Michigan. Anyone else have any info? :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I agree, two years. And then it will probably be a re-badged Dodge (imported from Detroit you know)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
USA Today can't be permitted to mess with our venerated traditions. It's two years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Two years for sure. Just like every year since 1995.
Laugh.. I was 25 then and read Alfa will return.. Now I'm 41 and own a 69 GTV.

I can't say I have agreed with all the delays.. although Marchione's rejection of the last Giulia.. I am 100% in agreement.. The next Giulia better look something like an original Giulia and 100% rear wheel drive

·
Premium Member
27,515 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know this amounts to blasphemy in this forum but would you really buy an Alfa when they return to the States? The Alfa V6 is a sweet engine but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The latest GT has the 3.2L version pushing about 240bhp which makes it massively underpowered in today’s sports sedan market. It will be competing in the same segment in term of price against the BMW 335, 135, MB C350, Infiniti G37, Lexus IS350 etc which are all making over 300bhp. (the 8C is a different story but in terms of price, that is not a exactly a bargain). Even the new Camry and Accord V6 can probably out accelerate the new Alfa GT.
Alfa needs to find their brand position in the market before coming back to the US or they end up to be another lost brand like Saab.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I know this amounts to blasphemy in this forum but would you really buy an Alfa when they return to the States? The Alfa V6 is a sweet engine but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The latest GT has the 3.2L version pushing about 240bhp which makes it massively underpowered in today’s sports sedan market. It will be competing in the same segment in term of price against the BMW 335, 135, MB C350, Infiniti G37, Lexus IS350 etc which are all making over 300bhp. (the 8C is a different story but in terms of price, that is not a exactly a bargain). Even the new Camry and Accord V6 can probably out accelerate the new Alfa GT.
Alfa needs to find their brand position in the market before coming back to the US or they end up to be another lost brand like Saab.
All I read was, "Blah, blah, blah, blah." Of course I want a new Alfa! (mainly cause I could care less about any of the cars you mentioned) ;) Not everything is about drag race numbers.
Charles

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Alfa V6 no longer made. The replacement is based on the fairly lame GM Australia (Holden) V6 which FIAT Group got as part of the "benefits" of being partly owned by GM (being fully owned by GM leads to bankruptcy, ask SAAB about that).

The new Giulietta is bound to come to North America as it is the Golf fighter and is an excellent ride by all reports. Watch also for the mid engined 4C which will compete with the Boxster. Alfa just delayed release of their new Giulia which is the equivalent of the 164/166/159 sized cars.

Chrysler badging is possible but I suspect higher end Alfas will be sold as such. Chrysler badging is going on FIAT models and FIAT badged "Chryslers" are already on the road in Europe.

The proof of FIAT Group's intent is that the excellent FIAT 500 is on sale in NA right now (built in Mexico rather than Poland where the Euro version is built). The tiny FIAT is a Mazda 1, Ford Ka, FIAT Panda in a nifty disguise. They are everywhere in Europe and make an excellent City car. We do not get the gasoline powered turbo engines yet so this car is not for us. Alfa makes the Mito version which should make it over here and is pretty cool.

2013 model year is supposedly the target. Marchione is making his Chrysler payout deal with the Canadian government right now and that is likely the last step.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yeah, sweet, I'd rather have that G37 so everyone can tell me, wow, nice Altima.
Come on, man...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Infinity's current lineup is probably the ugliest group of cars I've seen in quite a while. They all look like they took the previous cars and inflated the bodies with a bicycle pump. Hold your breath and infllate your cheeks and you get the idea.
The current Camry and TL are right up there as well. The Accord is about the most white bread car on the planet.
Alfas most serious competition will be from Audi (also unbearable to look at) and BMW.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Infinity's current lineup is probably the ugliest group of cars I've seen in quite a while. They all look like they took the previous cars and inflated the bodies with a bicycle pump. Hold your breath and infllate your cheeks and you get the idea.
The current Camry and TL are right up there as well. The Accord is about the most white bread car on the planet.
Alfas most serious competition will be from Audi (also unbearable to look at) and BMW.
CAREFULL! big Audi fan here. (older ones mainly) and although i agree that the new Audis are a bit rough on the eyes, BMW is FAR from better looking. i think Alfa has a chance if they play their cards right. (aka: affordable!!)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unfortunately having worked for an Italian car manufacturer dealer for the last 11 years, I'm far to familiar with their pricing strategies. New car AND replacement parts wise. I'm sorry Maserati but there is NO REASON that your A/C compressors should cost 5 Gs!
Fiat will be the affordable Italian car in the US market. Alfa will most likely cost far more than it should even with Chrysler platforms and powertrains.

HA HA that potato pretty much sums it up. I lived in Germany for 2 years and they eat red potatoes EVERY day. I even remember one meal where the only course consisted of salted/boiled red potatoes with nothing else. not even water. Explains their sense of style.

And no offense intended AlfaVeloce, I owned an A4 1.8t and put 160k miles on it. The drivetrain was great but everything else needed fixing all the time. Both rear wheel bearings failed within 100 miles of each other (at 80k) and I was always replacing those damned front control arms. Honestly I've had far fewer problems with my 164S which despite its flaws I just love.

·
Premium Member
27,515 Posts
Maybe I ought to rebadge my new used 164S as a Fiat 5000 Sport or at least a 3000S!

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree with Zackspeed. Alfa has got to get their pricing bang on. The margin of error is probably less than +/-$3,000. In today's marketplace, a car that is slightly average is going have a difficulty time with consumers. Beside the few enthusiasts (80% of whom are probably members of this forum) there is a general perception that Alfas are unreliable. We all know that this is not accurate (vs BMW, Audi, Merc) but unfortunately perception = reality for some. The biggest problem with Alfa is that their target demographic is extremely limited. We are talking about mostly men, 30+ looking for a sports sedan. And keep in mind that their wives and kids will also have a say in what car they buy. Alfa should hire the same marketing firm that helped rebuild the Audi brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alfa is doomed to failure here in the US. They have no product to distinguise themselves from all the other European, Japanese and Korean makers. If you study their pricing in some of the European markets you must come to the conclusion that they are selling for a premium price, while the product is mediocre at best. This will not work in the US. The new Alfas need to be a cut above the rest to be a success. They are not. Also, they way that FIAT goes about their business here in the US is ridiculous. They ask a prospective dealer to put up a building according to their design before a franchise agreement has been signed. I live in the SF Bay Area. A building + the real estate, if not owned already, will set you back about 4 to 5 million. You need to peddle a lot of Fiat 500s for that. The carrot Fiat given to the dealers is......you will get Alfa. That is the reason why in the Bay Area there is only one open Fiat dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts