Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the ABB and Googled Alfas at Bonnieville (and several variations thereof) and found only several pictures of this car but no information about it. Can anyone point me towards any info?

I would add that I am assuming that it is not some variation of the yellow Alfa which is much more prevalent.

Oh, BTW, I am not the one who made up the title for the picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I had heard that the original yellow "Bonnie" built by Jim Steck and others had been retired due to chassis rust issues. Also, that their speed was near the maximum without extending the wheelbase for more stability; which would have left it less "Alfa". At one point Bonnie used two of my old used up Carello headlight covers that Jim found in my garage.

The silver Alfa appears to have a longer wheelbase and might be a tube frame under a fiberglass faux Spider body shell. Whatever, it looks pretty good.

I searched the ABB and Googled Alfas at Bonnieville (and several variations thereof) and found only several pictures of this car but no information about it. Can anyone point me towards any info?

I would add that I am assuming that it is not some variation of the yellow Alfa which is much more prevalent.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I had heard that the original yellow "Bonnie" built by Jim Steck and others had been retired due to chassis rust issues. Also, that their speed was near the maximum without extending the wheelbase for more stability; which would have left it less "Alfa". At one point Bonnie used two of my old used up Carello headlight covers that Jim found in my garage.

The silver Alfa appears to have a longer wheelbase and might be a tube frame under a fiberglass faux Spider body shell. Whatever, it looks pretty good.

Edit: Mike & Darren Besic built the car. Jim Steck did the various engines

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Continuing the conversation about the Silver Alfa. Note the black fairing behind the driver, and compare it to the one on "Bonnie" in this article https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/faster-speed-rust/

Could this be the same part and the silver spider be a reincarnation of Bonnie with a longer wheelbase?. I know some of the original Bonneville crew and a that couple lurk here. How about it guys, is there a new car?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems logical that the silver car is a further development of the other(s). But then, what good is logic? I looked at a photo essay of the entries at Bonnieville this year but did not see the car. Interesting topic. Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
I was talking to Jim Steck a few months ago and he appeared to be interested in building another Bonneville car. I think that he had part ownership of Bonnie.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The name Jim Steck is prominent in this research item. Interesting that there may be another car on the way. BTW, I apologize from misspelling Bonneville.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drove and crewed with the Richard Kreines ARMS Bonneville Team from ‘99-07 and the only other Alfa at that time was the multi-car team from California, Rick Cook’s. A stretched, red, 68 Duetto . This silver car looks to be the same.
I am still in contact with most of the crew and there are no plans, for now, to set up another car. RK is happy in retirement, the Besic Bros. are racing in 24Lemons/ Vintage, from which I retired from and Jim is setting up and crewing in Vintage racing.
Cheers
Craig Bielat

Attachments

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw this car at the LeMay family Collection in Spanaway(Tacoma), Washington just a few weeks ago. Any ideas, anyone. It doesn't looks a lot like the ones in the pictures posted in this thread.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts