Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

visited a racing event in germany yesterday, an in the first run a beautiful alfa was destroyed, the roof had to be cut off to free the driver.
Driver was not injured... lucky guy.

Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
WOW:eek:

Was this a RALLY? It does not apear that the car had a roll bar.........VERY lucky guy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was an hillclimb event for historic cars on a normal (of course closed)road, officially a "Regularity event", but as you set your target-time by yourself, speed from car to car varies...

Yep, no roll-bar inside, car slipped of the road (rain / slippery road) in a turn and hit some trees.

Thomas

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I seem to recall seeing pictures of this car on the bb before. Is it a bb member?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don´t know if he´s a BB member.
You´re right, right side doesn´t look too bad.
But: Rear left is quite damaged, and the whole left (from rear to front...) side too... Just couldn´t take a pic from the other side.
I dont´t think that a rebuild of the chassis would be cost-effective.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ouch!!!

The mentioned and pictured car belonged to me until June and now belongs to a good friend of mine.... fortunately he and another friend were not injured at all. As he told me, the rear end got loose on the wet road, he corrected, hit dry road again half sideways and just shot off into the weeds. The car came to a stop upright on the driver side after rolling. It is beyond me why the rescue people (Local fire department) cut the roof open instead of just putting it back on its wheels and opening the door? This car was my pride and joy for a few years and my heart almost stopped when I heard of this and saw the pictures... but in the end it is just a car that can and will ultimately be replaced. To me, it is much more important that I didn't lose 2 good friends in an accident that could potentially have killed them.

By the looks of things at the moment, the car will not be rebuilt. It is more likely that the drivetrain and suspension will be installed in another chassis.
regards
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi!
The important are the people, if they are ok, nothing is more important.
Anyway, it's really a miss, was a beautiful car.

Add 1 count more to lost cars list!
Best regards

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wow.... just shows the importance of a roll cage, not only for the occupants, but also for the car. I've seen plenty of 105s written off because the structure collapsed from not having a cage, and others rolled into a ball that are rebuildable because the cage kept the structure together - but it does have to be a very tight well fitting cage. Lucky people!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts