Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing through "Group 01 Engine Main Mechanical Unit", I came across the disassembly of the Alfa 90 2.0 6V Iniezione, I noticed the different intake from the GTV6/75.
75-01-088-21.jpg
75-01-088-22.jpg
75-01-088-23.jpg

As we didn't get the 90 here in the US, and there doesn't seem t be a section on this forum for this car, does anyone know much about this induction system? The heads they fit to (e.g. do they fit on 2.5 L-Jet heads)?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I read something like "Alfa 90 2.0 6v iniezione"; is this the same engine that was later turbocharged for the 164 TB, gtv/spider (916) TB and the 166 TB? If so, there are some mechanical parts that exchange with the 2.5/3.0 engines (engine bearings, piston pin bushes, water pump) as I can recall from the bunch of parts I bought to rebuilt a 2.0 v6 turbo for a 1992 164.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
iv seen this too, pretty cool looking. wonder how easy it would be to upgrade to bigger throttle bodies etc for performance if it does bolt into a 2.5l or 3.0l? i could only imagin it would be hard to find the parts to start with though... much like finding the carb'ed 75 v6.

anyway, we did get the 90 in australia, but we didnt get the 2lt v6, only the 2.5lt. pretty bland car in my opinion, but can look great in the right hands.

·
Registered
`90 Alfa Romeo 75 with 3.0V6 from 164
111 Posts
By the way this 2.0V6 was produced only 132 hp in stock. There is one guy in our city that puts this 2.0V6 with ITB`s from 90 into 75 instead of 2.0L-carb Nord. As far as I know, he tries to make it work correctly now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 90v6 2.0 with this CEM injection. The car has not run for about 10 years. I bought it last year with the intention to restore it, instead of someone scrapping it. It is disassembled now. As far as I know the head is unique to the 2.0, although I would be happy to be proven otherwise...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Judging by the angle of the stub pipes, I don't think the heads are the Sei type. Most likely they are the same as the L-Jet FI with smaller cylinder bores.

Only 132HP? That's quite good for a stock factory 2v 2.0L engine! I wonder how the dual-plenum set-up affects Torque (as opposed to single plenum single TB)? Probably still not enough for haulin around a 75. Probably better for a spider.

Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there since ITB's are all the rage & we sometimes even hear of tuners considering Hyabusa ITB/FI. Here's one the factory made.

Any more info on the engine management used?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Only 132HP? That's quite good for a stock factory 2v 2.0L engine! I wonder how the dual-plenum set-up affects Torque (as opposed to single plenum single TB)? Probably still not enough for haulin around a 75. Probably better for a spider.
A 60* V6 can be separated into to 2 banks of 3 cylinders, so the dual plenum chambers should work best for torque at lower engine speeds but be less effective at higher speeds. Both Toyota and Nissan have used dual plenum chambers on some of their V6 engines. The plenum chambers were kept separated at lower speeds but a valve opened at higher engine speeds to link the 2. The end result is a broader torque curve.

·
Registered
`90 Alfa Romeo 75 with 3.0V6 from 164
111 Posts
IMHO the only one advantage of 2.0v6 is the SOUND. 2.0 TS 8valve has 145-148 hp and 176-186 Nm of torque (v6 has 176Nm).

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wonder about that Duk. Seems to me all six in a common plenum would have a more frequent frequency pulse (better at low rpm), than the two separate ones which would have pulses separated by more time (thus Helmholtz comes-in higher in rpm)... I know what you're saying though with that other config (copies of Porsche Vario-Ram). But these are obviously not joined.

I don't think these were set-up for low speed torque.
Harjunpää_Dual_Plenum.jpg
y_eng.jpeg

IMHO the only one advantage of 2.0v6 is the SOUND
No doubt. Little multi-cylinder engines are buzz saws really. It's kinda' like Harley Davidson. 'The Japanese can make bigger, better, more reliable V-twins - but they just can't get the sound right! reminds me of this Honda S2000 I was riding in...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HOT DIGGITY!!

I C A N ' T believe it! Thread created just this April, how interesting! Thanks Ennio. That's pretty neat.

...Unfortunately (as usual) a good idea is turned helplessly complex so that it has almost no chance of succeeding. Though this thread may live on forever.

I would say these old analog systems last forever. The worst enemy is the wiring harness, electrical connections and fuel injectors. DUDE (j.k.QV), dig-in some more and see how the original system worked. Transfer it to a 2.5 & have fun driving it in a week or so!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts