Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! I am at a loss.

Both front and rear discs have been machined, and new pads fitted. Brakes have been bled, and master cylinder reconditioned (was leaking onto brake booster).

The mechanic claims that the vacuum is too low. Hoses all look fine, and car has been tuned to specifications, including valve shims etc. Engine runs great, but brakes (especially at the rear) are terrible!

What have I missed? Can the valve adjustment cause low vacuum? How can I check for vacuum leaks?

Open to all suggestions please.

Thanks kindly
Dave
Sydney Australia
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
brakes (especially at the rear) are terrible!
Leads me to think maybe suspension wasn’t loaded when brakes were bleed. Assuming your vehicle does have a brake compensator in the rear.
How can I check for vacuum leaks?
I spray carb cleaner around (vacuum) hoses while engine is running. And although all hoses look fine from the outside, it is possible that the large vacuum hose leading to brake booster is partially obstructed inside.
I'm sure someone with 1st hand knowledge of Alfa 90's will chime in as well soon, its still early. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
vaccum problem will lead to hard pedal (ie no assistance) and will be the same at both ends.

Have the rear calipers been adjusted PROPERLY (ie using the screw adjusters on either side)? If not done right, there will be stuff all happening at the back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts