Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

In 2005 a friend rescued an old Alfa Racer, a 75 Turbo Evoluzione. car was raced at Regional and National track events.
Here is the old topic: Alfa 75 Turbo Evoluzione: succesful race car recovered

Last weekend we get the Turbo Evoluzione back from a friend's shop where we made some minor body repairings on roof and side panels. The car is now primed in ungly gray, but is just enough.

Now the car is back at home, where some other works to be carried:

- Unbolt the roll cage and refit it with modern safety standards
- Reorder the interior bits: wiring, ECUs...
- Fit handbrake, and brake proportioner
- Paint interior
- Refinish or change all the ugly rusted bits...

A long work...

Some pictures, enjoy.

BTW:
We will upload a couple of videos, with the engine running pretty loud.... really loud!!!

Attachments

· Registered
326 Posts
Lookin good

Congratulations - myself, I am looking in to buying one of the original Evo's.
One that has run 88.000 km's and is 97% original.

Can't wait to see if the deal goes through.

Are there any specifics that I should be looking for when inspecting the car - it is virtually rust free - my concern would mainly be the mechanics - the turbo and so on.

Rgds

P

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi!
I'm not an expert on Evos, but I think they have a couple of "not-so-visible" special pieces different from the rest of the production ones. You should check all these especial (and difficult to find...) pieces are with the car, like the spindles.

Best regards,
Alvaro.

· Registered
392 Posts
thermostat

Hi nice project, glad you are saving an old racer. Would you be kind enough to post a picture of the thermostat? I am fitting an intercooler that appears similar to yours, but my stock 1986 thermostat is in the way.

Thanks!

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi!

Old racers have a special aura, once they lost the homologation or are uncompetivive, they drop into a spiral of miss-use and no-manteinance, they lost their purpose.... an ol racer with 5-8 years can cost barely nothing. An if it keep all the good bits in (brake calipers, gearbox, Konis....)... it can be a good buy, just only for the bits.

This car was saved in time, it only lacks the Group A cylinder-head and big turbo, but this can be fixed.....

SAVE AN OLD ALFA RACER!!!

Ok, I'll try to make a picture of the thermostat housing this evening.

---------------------

And now...... the noise!!
Enjoy.

Pay attention to minute 6:20'.....

Salute.

· Registered
91 Posts
Another Pic, this one called "Caution, Alvaro at work"
Why do you say that?.. Alvaro is a BIG Genius about Alfas, and when he works, he knows what is he doing !!!!
Well, now seriously. I am a luky person, cause I have seen this car 2 times on this garage, and knew that, at some point, you guys, were going to make it run some day... Luis, you´re another genius as Alvaro, and i am sure both are going to make a great work on this "race car".. I hope, the next summer, have a brake to go and see the way are you developing this big project.
CHEERS
MANEL

· Registered
3,771 Posts
Wow, amazing how similar to the production car that one is....I don't know the rules of that racing class but they must be pretty strict.

· Registered
11 Posts
I`m in the middle of a 75 restoration,too. Mine is a 1.8T "America".
Keep up the good work Alvaro!

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, amazing how similar to the production car that one is....I don't know the rules of that racing class but they must be pretty strict.
Yes, the CET, Campeonato de España Velocidad (Spain Track Championship) was very restrictive. The exterior body were street-like: no wings or wheelarches...

At some point, turbocharged cars were only allowed to Group N rules (stock) and even were loaded with lead ballast up to 60 kilos in some cases, like the Ford Sierra Cosworths.

The 75 Turbo Evo, as a under-2 litre class, were allowed to go under 1000kilos, to 970kg, complete stripped interior, and Group A preparation: bigger turbo, brakes....etc.

Regards, Alvaro.

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi nice project, glad you are saving an old racer. Would you be kind enough to post a picture of the thermostat? I am fitting an intercooler that appears similar to yours, but my stock 1986 thermostat is in the way.

Thanks!
Hi!

The pictures requested. Let me know if you need more detailed pics, or an especific one. Imagesack hosted, they are 1024x768, click the thumbs to see them full size.

Salute

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi!

This weekend, Mr. Luis and I started to work with the 75 Turbo Evo.

This car, as you know, was raced in Regional championships, with Group A regulations, but was not fully developed to Top Group A specs. For example, when purchased, all the four doors had full trim interiors, glasswinders on rears and electric winders on fronts. The car raced this way!! We checked the rule book, and the doors interiors are allowed to be cut, so we did so.

We removed glasses, trims and started to cut the inner reinforcements.
Luis is going to replace glass with plexi, so lots of weight is going to be saved. An empty front door is now 9.45 kilos and a rear one just one kilo less. Very light and a noticeable difference with the stock ones!!

Front doors will have a cover, probably in aluminium sheet, also kevlar will look more period than modern carbonfiber.

Some pictures of the procedures.

Best regards, Alvaro.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.