Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
I own a 75/Milano V6 and I've been thinking of an engine conversion for my Alfa for quite some time and after months of going on forums and talking to my mechanic and what not,I got to the conclusion that the best choice seems to be a 3.0 24v conversion; my initial idea was to go with a 3.2 24v but apparently that takes quite a lot of work so I had to compromise!
Today though,something entirely different came up to my mind.

I was going through some ads and I just saw a very low mileage and neat looking Maserati 3200GT Twin turbo V8 engine with all the components for sale,and I mean everything,from the engine to the radiator,gearbox,..
I really don't have any idea about the price of it or anything!
I know the idea might sound a bit daft,but anyhow,what do you guys think of a 3200GT V8 conversion into the 75/milano?
Does anyone have any experience regarding this particular engine/conversion?
Would the work cost a LOT more than a feeble 24v conversion?(I'm just a rookie,what do I know! :D)

apart from that,what do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Fitting the V8 engine shouldn't be Too difficult but it may be harder getting the bell housing and gearbox in. Also the Turbo installation puts another level of complexity into the project. It always can be done with time, effort, expertise - and a lot of money! I doubt whether anyone else has done such a conversion so you will be finding out as you go - good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Usually such a bunch of parts will cost you about 15-30 thousand...

You could install a very strong V6 for that kind of money.

The V8 may fit with extreme butchering of the front, but the turbos additional parts will never do. At the end buying a running Maserati 4 porte will be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You will find a 90* V8 with double over head cams on each bank is a very wide motor. Add the 2 turbo's onto it and it won't be fitting in a transaxle chassis engine bay.
As an example, the Nissan 300ZX twin turbo engine makes a Chev small block look tiny and they are a 60* engine not the V8's 90*.

·
Registered
390 Posts
just curious after seeing the price mentioned above. how much do you think it would cost me to fit a nissan sr20 into a alfa?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a thread about putting a late maserati drysump v8 into some alfa, can't remember which model.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,746 Posts
just curious after seeing the price mentioned above. how much do you think it would cost me to fit a nissan sr20 into a alfa?
Whatever the amount, you should tack on some extra to deal with the hospital bills. You know, from the Alfa guys coming to your house and beating you silly with tire irons :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why are you considering the SR20?

Custom drive shaft ~$500-$1000
Wiring ~$500+severe chronic migraines
Engine mounts ~a few hundred, might get lucky and find that the engine fits nicely
Custom bell-housing or transmission ~$A lot of money
Hospital bill from being beat down by respectable Alfa owners ~$20k

I don't think its as absurd for an SR20 but my guess would be around $10k. Customizing the drive train is what will cost the most.

·
Registered
390 Posts
why not? is a better question...
so far on my conversion to s13 sr20, 5spd gearbox and lsd irs centre mounted into the dedion frame has cost me under $500.

if u have 'half' a brain and the foresight to buy a wreck, keep the parts you want and sell the rest to cover the cost or even make profit as i did, then have the skills and facilities to fabricate parts / do the work yourself it works out very cheap. only parts i will pay someone else to do is balance the tailshaft and possibly wire it up (if i cant figure it out myself).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Lexus quad cam is a better bet. It fits, it is cheap, and it is bullit proof should you want to boost it at a later date. As for getting beat on by Alfa owners, the wont be able to catch you :).

As for sr20, it has been done, it's a pretty simple conversion. Retains balance of car, and has heaps of options off the shelf.

Both these options are cheaper than getting 400hp from an Alfa engine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do it and don't look back.
Do one of those West Coast Custom jobs where they get some old Mustang body and weld it on top of a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts