Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everybody.

I'm from Canada, and am interested in the 4C (thank you, Captain Obvious), so I thought I would cut to the chase and make that the heart of my first post on your forum. If I've overstepped my bounds by starting a new thread on this, then I'll apologize to you and the moderators now, but I didn't see what I was looking for elsewhere.

I'm wondering if anyone has inside information for Canada, or perhaps was at the festival events surrounding the Montreal GP last weekend where the car was to make its Canadian debut? If so, then impressions, information on pricing, timing of release, order lead time, and dealerships would be welcome!

I found this article, but don't know how much is speculation and what might be fact:
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C: The Soul Of A Race Car

And the official press release:
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=488242D57FCCDA0F218AEB9CDC89576B?&id=15686&mid=1

Both of the above pre-date the event.

The following was on "TopSpeed.com", but I don't know the source:

Posted on 06.11.2014 18:00 by Kirby Garlitos +
Alfa Romeo’s arrival in North America has moved one step closer to becoming a reality after the Italian automaker announced the first 86 dealerships in the U.S. and Canada. The announcement is the latest piece of evidence that the company’s long-awaited return to North America will finally go on as scheduled.

All in all, 33 states in the U.S. will receive an Alfa Romeo dealership. Of those 33, California received the most number of dealerships at 12 with Texas a close second with 10 and Florida with nine. Other major auto markets also received a handful of dealerships, including Michigan (5), Ohio (4), Virginia (4), and Illinois (3). On the flip side, New York received only one dealership, which is a little surprising to say the least.

As for Canada, the entire country was given four dealerships, including two in Quebec and one for both Ontario and Vancouver.

Alfa Romeo is expected to announce more franchises later this year. But for now, these 86 dealers will get first dibs on selling new Alfa Romeo models in their market, including the 4C and the limited edition 4C Launch Edition .

Get ready, North America, Alfa Romeo is set to return!

Edit:
Found this from Canadian GP Weekend in Montreal:

Soo, thank you for any information you may hear and post to this thread!.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I guess I get to answer my own question. :lol:
4 dealerships in Vancouver, Vaughan and Quebec to sell the first Alfa Romeo sports cars in North America in almost 20 years | Financial Post

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles announced Tuesday that dealerships in Vancouver, Vaughan, Ontario, and Boischatel and LaSalle, Quebec, would join 82 dealerships in the United States to be the first to sell the limited-edition Alfa Romeo 4C sports car later this year. It is the first time new Alfa models will be sold in North America since 1996.

“This group of dealers represents the first phase in the Alfa Romeo dealer network selection process,” Peter Grady, head of network development for Chrysler Group LLC, which is based in Michigan, said in a company statement issued on Tuesday.

Grady said that eventually there will be more than 300 Alfa Romeo franchises in North America. The number of dealerships selling Alfa Romeo will grow later this year, Grady said. In the next several years, Alfa is expected to introduce more affordable models to its North American lineup.

A limited-edition 4C is expected to cost $70,000 or more, and the more traditional version of the 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C $65,000 or more.

I'm assuming the prices are in CAD $, as the article is Canadian.

Edit: And I was just able to confirm that the first Ontario dealership is Vaughan Chrysler/Maranello Fiat. Product expected "in the next three months". No solid pricing to share with me yet (probably hinges on exchange rates at that time).

·
Registered
98 Posts
As for "no solid pricing"--yes, I'm sure the exchange rates will have something to do with it, but so might greed and gouging. It is reasonable to assume demand will be high and inventories low. I am a buyer at MSRP but don't know if that will be enough to get one.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I hope that Alfa Romeo returns to the US in 2014. I saw a sign that a new Ferrari dealership will open its doors in Torrance, CA which is close to my house. I believe that the dealership will sell Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa Romeo cars. The closest Ferrari dealership is located in Beverly Hills, CA and might sell Alfa Romeos. I know that the intial 4C will cost more than MSRP, but how much more? I have owned eleven Alfas and would like to own another new Alfa. I believe that if Alfa does not return to the US then I would like to buy a Ferrari F458.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome 4Canada :)
The hard part in answering your questions is that Alfa Romeo hasn't told anybody anything. What little they have said changes later. The list of dealerships is the most resent official information. Price and dates are still stuck in Alfa Time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, apparently you can get one in white for $85K : AlfaRomeo4C - Alfa Romeo Import of Greater Toronto Corporation
But, it smells a little fishy to me
Yeah, I saw that long before anything else.
He's an importer, not a dealer. Probably legit, buys it in Europe, legally imports it (and does whatever he needs to do to make it street legal in Ontario), then adds his costs and markup. But no warranty, for sure. His business was probably great while AR was not in N. America, but will dry out considerably once authorized dealerships return.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welcome 4Canada :)
The hard part in answering your questions is that Alfa Romeo hasn't told anybody anything. What little they have said changes later. The list of dealerships is the most resent official information. Price and dates are still stuck in Alfa Time.
Thank you for the welcome!
This looks like a great community - much like the only other car forum I've ever belonged to, and better than most which I hear tell of. And with so many like-minded people having their ears to the ground, I figured we could piece together the story, sort fact from fiction. I have no experience with Alfa Romeo. But I do love your "Alfa Time" comment! :lol:

I had hoped that some member might have made it to the Montreal GP last weekend, and button-holed an Alfa rep to get the skinny. Guess not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for "no solid pricing"--yes, I'm sure the exchange rates will have something to do with it, but so might greed and gouging. It is reasonable to assume demand will be high and inventories low. I am a buyer at MSRP but don't know if that will be enough to get one.
Car dealerships gouging customers? This happens??? :rotfl:
Yes, with FOUR dealerships spread out across the second largest country on earth, I can imagine there might be a, ahem, "lack of competitive force in the marketplace" for a while. But sooner or later Alfa will open up to more dealers and that will become a little less the case (I hope). Agreed, however, that these cars will never be a "sale" item. I get that. I'm also betting that a fair bit of money changed hands in exchange for the privilege of being the exclusive dealer for a while.

Personally, given the low production rates for the 4C, I expect that the slow start is more because of the time it takes to build inventory to a reasonable level and ship it here, as much as anything else.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The first wave of dealers was issued to only those dealers moving the most cars. All Fiat dealers were promised to also become Alfa dealers, as per their original contract when they bought their Fiat dealers. The 4C is the flagship, the advertisement, probably a loss-leader.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found this today (if there is anyone else in Canada, besides me, who cares) from a domestic source:
Alfa Romeo 4C will start at $61,995 in Canada | Driving

Leading up to it’s North American launch, Chrysler has revealed the slinky Alfa Romeo 4C will start at $61,995 for the standard model and $75,995 for the Launch Edition.

The 4C Launch Edition will be the first to hit dealers this summer. It will be available in three colours — white, as well as two different shades of red. Xenon headlights will be standard, along with race-tuned suspension components, a racing exhaust, staggered wheels and carbon fibre exterior and aerodynamic touches, including mirror caps and a rear spoiler.

Inside, the 4C Launch Edition receives unique touches, such as contrast stitching, carbon fibre trim, sport seats with microfibre inserts and a leather-wrapped instrument panel. Because the Launch Edition is a special model after all, it will be limited to a 500-example production run and each will be individually numbered.

Following the Launch Edition, the standard 4C will hit dealers in the fall. Like its European counterpart, the North American-spec 4C will be powered by a 1.75-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated at 237 horsepower and 258 lb-ft. of torque. The only differences lie with the curb weight — North American models be slightly heavier at 1,050 kilograms due to added safety features as per our regulations.Canadian pricing is expected to be announced as early as this week.

The 4C will be sold through four dealers across the country — two in Quebec, one in Ontario and another in B.C. In the U.S., the standard 4C will start at $55,195, while the Launch Edition will retail for $69,695.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And Globe and Mail (our answer to The Wall Street Journal) article here:

Chrysler announces Alfa Romeo pricing - The Globe and Mail

EDIT:
And the actual press release:

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=15731&mid=193
Chrysler Canada - The Attainable Supercar: All-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe Delivers Groundbreaking Italian Design, Advanced Technological Solutions and Supercar-level Performance

Only 500 serialized 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition coupes will be available through 86 Alfa Romeo dealerships (Four in Canada) this summer with a Canadian MSRP of $75,995; followed by the standard Alfa Romeo 4C coupe arriving in the fall with a Canadian MSRP of $61,995
Arriving in the third-quarter, the all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C coupe spearheads the Italian sports car brand’s return to North America with an MSRP as low as $61,995
Mid-engine proportions and inspiration from the brand’s racing traditions highlight Alfa Romeo 4C’s purposeful design for maximum performance
Unique set of advanced materials and technological solutions from Formula 1: carbon fibre monocoque, aluminum chassis structures and a composite body shell for an ultra-lightweight design with supercar-level performance
State-of-the-art powertrain technology: all-aluminum 1750 cc direct-injection turbocharged I4 engine with intercooler, dual variable-valve timing and advanced scavenging technology is paired to a blistering fast Alfa Twin-Clutch Transmission (TCT) with Alfa DNA selector
Excellence made in Italy: Alfa Romeo 4C combines the best technical and manufacturing competencies of two brands, Alfa Romeo and Maserati
June 17, 2014 , Windsor, Ontario - Alfa Romeo is taking the supercar segment by storm – offering the all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C coupe at a fraction of the price of other exotic supercars, thanks to groundbreaking Italian design and a unique set of technological solutions that are authentic and fully respect the brand’s DNA and motorsport tradition.

“The all-new 4C marks the return of ‘the great Alfa Romeos' and represents the purest formation of the brand’s DNA with its supercar-levels of performance and innovation, all while focusing on making the driver an integral part and completion of the machine,” said Harald Wester, CEO of Alfa Romeo. “With its technological solutions derived directly from Formula 1, the Alfa Romeo 4C creates an infusion of body and machine, an extension of its driver’s soul that is ready, capable and willing to respond and deliver.”

The Alfa Romeo brand’s return this summer will start with the uniquely appointed and individually serialized (1 – 500) Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition with a MSRP of $75,995; followed by the standard 4C coupe arriving in the fall with a MSRP of $61,995. An initial group of 86 Alfa Romeo dealers will be the first to sell the limited-edition 4C Launch Edition coupe and proceeding 4C coupe. The list of Alfa Romeo dealers in North America can be found at: http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=15705&mid=1

Designed to be innovative and revolutionary
The all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C highlights the brand’s DNA that separates it from all the other marques:
Most advanced and innovative engines
A nearly perfect 50-50 weight balance
A unique set of technical solutions
Class exclusive power-to-weight ratios
Groundbreaking design, functional and distinctly Italian

Acronym 4C
The Alfa Romeo 4C is inspired by the century-old tradition of Alfa Romeo and projects the brand's authentic values into the future: Italian style, performance and engineering excellence, offering maximum driving satisfaction in total safety. The “4C” name recalls Alfa Romeo's great sporting tradition: the acronyms 8C and 6C in the 1930s and 1940s distinguished racing and road cars fitted with powerful eight and six cylinder engines. The 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C model’s designation continues this tradition with the latest all-aluminum 1750 cc turbocharged direct injection four-cylinder engine.

A tradition of essential beauty and function
The inspiration for the all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C dates back to the 1967 33 Stradale, the homologated version of the racing Type 33, which is considered one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Like the 33 Stradale that combined extreme mechanical and functional requirements with undeniable Alfa Romeo style and performance – the Alfa Romeo 4C coupe shares its body forms and follows this performance tradition with an undoubtedly Italian-styled composite body “clothing,” a state-of-the-art carbon fibre and aluminum structure, and a high-performance turbocharged engine.

With a purpose-built ****pit inspired by the legendary 1967 33 Stradale, entering the interior of the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C means entering a world derived from motorsport – only essential components for performance are integrated. Two composite-framed sport seats, thermoformed dashboard and exposed carbon fibre monocoque highlight the coupe’s technological uniqueness. Furthermore, a driver-oriented ****pit with flat-bottom performance steering wheel with paddle-shift controls and aluminum pedals speak to the brand’s racing spirit. Emphasizing the Alfa Romeo 4C’s advanced technology and focus on lightweight technical solutions is a 7-inch full-colour thin-film transistor (TFT) instrument cluster that displays simple, high-impact graphics to keep the driver focused on the road, or track ahead.

Ultra-lightweight: carbon fibre, aluminum and composites structures
To create the ultra-lightweight architecture needed for maximum performance and dynamic efficiency, Alfa Romeo 4C engineers looked to Formula 1 and only the most advanced supercars for state-of-the-art materials. The result is a monocoque made entirely of carbon fibre that delivers extraordinary stiffness and strength. Attached to the Alfa Romeo 4C’s exotic monocoque are front and rear cell structures, roof reinforcements and an engine-mounting frame made from lightweight aluminum.

Alfa Romeo engineers continued the use of state-of-the-art materials by creating the bodywork entirely of Sheet Moulding Compound (SMC), a low-density, high-strength composite material that is 20 per cent lighter and dimensionally more rigid than steel. Providing the ability to create complex shapes while saving weight by 20 per cent compared to steel are PUR-RIM (injected polyurethane) fascias and rear spoiler. Engineers even optimized the Alfa Romeo 4C’s windshield and side windows by using 10 per cent thinner glass to reduce weight by up to 15 per cent.

Finally, two sport seats feature a carbon fibre and fibreglass reinforced-composite structure to deliver the strength and seating position needed for performance driving.

Supercar performance, compact size
Thanks to Alfa Romeo 4C’s advanced technological solutions and compact size, the coupe demonstrates its precision, agility and performance credentials with:
The 4C exudes proportions of exotic supercars, dimensions include:
400 cm (157.0 inches) overall length
186 cm (73.5 inches) overall width
118 cm (46.6 inches) overall height
258 km/h top speed
0-to-100 km/h acceleration = mid-4 second range
0.335 Coefficient of drag (Cd)
Lateral acceleration > 1.1 g
Maximum braking deceleration > 1.25 g
1,050 kg (2,315 lbs.) dry weight
1,118 kg (2,465 lbs.) curb weight
4.7 kg/horsepower (10.4 lbs./horsepower) curb weight-to-power

High-tech 1750 Turbocharged I4 engine and Alfa TCT pair for exceptional performance and drivability
The engine is the beating heart of any Alfa Romeo, and for the Alfa Romeo 4C, it beats to an all-new 1750 cc direct-injection 237 horsepower all aluminum engine. To ensure exceptional performance and drivability on the racetrack or city streets, this new engine features cutting-edge technical solutions, including direct-injection, intercooler, dual (intake and exhaust) continuous variable-valve timing (VVT), a camshaft with eight counterweights, and intake and exhaust systems optimized for Alfa Romeo 4C’s mid-engine layout.

A new generation turbocharger features a pulse-converter exhaust manifold to exploit pressure waves and boost torque at low-engine speeds. A waste gate valve adjusts turbo pressure and improves the engine’s efficiency. Advanced scavenging technology enables the Alfa Romeo 4C to maximize torque at low engine speeds and deliver more response to driver input by increasing combustion efficiency and turbine speed, all while eliminating turbo lag. As a result, torque delivery is instantaneous, with a peak of 258 ft.-lb.; 80 per cent of which is available at only 1,700 rpm.

Teamed to the all-aluminum engine is a paddle-shifting Alfa TCT, which has been specifically tuned for the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C. With its uniquely calibrated software that adjusts with the Alfa DNA system, the Alfa TCT’s gearshifts are designed to become most aggressive in the Dynamic and Race modes. The Alfa TCT system also integrates a “launch control” mode – delivering the utmost acceleration possible as soon as the driver releases the brake.

Innovative Alfa DNA selector
The all-new Alfa Romeo 4C features the brand’s innovative Alfa DNA selector with “Race” mode – enabling the driver to optimize the right level of performance through four modes. With a touch of the Alfa DNA selector, the character of the Alfa Romeo 4C can be changed to (in order of increasing capability):
All-weather – designed to ensure maximum control under adverse weather conditions and enables gentler accelerator input and special engine and brake control logic to match road speed and prevent skidding
Natural – designed for everyday use. Gearshift parameters can configure for maximum comfort and smoothness
Dynamic – enables improved driving performance via a more aggressive powertrain calibration and less intrusive electronic stability control (ESC) setting
Race – is the most extreme performance mode, putting the driver in total control of the car under race conditions. ESC and anti-slip regulation (ASR) are deactivated to allow the driver to control traction through the accelerator pedal. The Alfa Romeo Electronic Q2 differential control system remains active for fast exits out of corners or bends
In Race mode, launch control can be activated, allowing the Alfa Romeo 4C to deliver supercar-level 0-to-100 km/h acceleration blasts in the mid-4 second rangeFor driving convenience in Dynamic, Natural or All-weather modes, the Alfa Romeo TCT gearbox can utilize an “auto” mode.

4C combines the best technical and manufacturing competencies of Alfa Romeo and Maserati
The very best technical and industrial expertise of the Alfa Romeo and Maserati brands were used to develop the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C. Teamwork between the two brands included the integration of the Alfa Romeo Style Centre design with the well-known craftsmanship of the Maserati brand’s Modena production plant. In addition, the Alfa Romeo 4C was boosted by the technological contributions of Italian suppliers, who are international leaders in manufacturing high-performance components.

This is a distinguishing trait of Alfa Romeo, a brand with a century of history that continues to be one of the most famous and popular ambassadors of Italian products around the world.

Limited to 500 serialized units: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition
For “Alfisti” in North America, a special 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition will be made available midyear. These first 500 Alfa Romeo 4C coupes will be serialized and include the following appointments:
Rosso Alfa, Rosso Competizione or Madreperla White exterior paint
Bi-xenon headlamps with LED illuminated daytime running lights
Front fascia with side air intakes
Carbon fibre rear spoiler and mirror caps
Race suspension tuning with front- and rear-sway bars and shock absorbers
Racing exhaust
Staggered 18-inch (front) and 19-inch (rear) forged aluminum wheels painted in Dark Grey
Red lacquered brake calipers
Sport seats with black microfibre
Leather wrapped instrument panel and door panels
Red or White interior accent stitching on the instrument panel steering wheel, floor mats and door handles
Interior Carbon Fibre Trim Plates
Cluster Bezel
Gear Shift Bezel
Passenger Side Trim Plate
Serialized "Launch Edition" plaque

About Chrysler Canada
Founded as the Chrysler Corporation in 1925, Chrysler Canada Inc. is based in Windsor, Ontario, and celebrates its 89th anniversary in 2014. Chrysler Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Chrysler Group LLC, one of the world's leading automotive companies. Chrysler Canada has approximately 440 dealers and markets Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, Fiat and Mopar vehicles and products. In addition to its assembly facilities, which produce the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan, Ram Cargo Van (Windsor), and the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger (Brampton), Chrysler Canada operates an aluminum casting plant in Etobicoke, a research and development centre in Windsor, and has sales offices and parts distribution centres throughout the country.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So roughly $70K in Ontario, once you add up taxes, freight and various BS fees. Gotta start saving my loonies
Me too - AND you know that the "optional extra's" will be overpriced.

I did email Chrysler Canada (there were contact names on the media release) and got confirmation that the Canadian warranty will be 4 years / 80,000 Km (similar to Lexus, Porsche, Infinity, BMW).

You really from London? I live in Strathroy, and work in Komoka!
We'll have to compare notes.
Ever go to Cars and Coffee at RSP Motorsports in Komoka? Next one is July 13 (or were you the Alfa owner I spoke with there, last one - that would be funny!!!)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep, that was me there two weekends ago with the red GTV-6. Small world, eh?

Good info on the warranty. An Alfa with some manufacturer backing, I thought I'd never see the day!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, that was me there two weekends ago with the red GTV-6. Small world, eh?

Good info on the warranty. An Alfa with some manufacturer backing, I thought I'd never see the day!
Very small world - I was the guy in the Honda hat, asking you all the questions. Hope to run into you at another one this year (although it looks like I'll still have my CR-Z for a while! LOL ).

Oh, and Chrysler hasn't shared the "fine print" on that warranty coverage. So don't be floored just yet. But I guess any warranty is better than what you've been able to get for the last two decades in Canada!

I'm trying to find out more from Marenello Fiat in Vaughan, but have heard through a well-placed source that a London dealership will have access to AR in a future wave. He cannot say when, as yet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey GTV6noob, my wife had an idea yesterday - she suggested you and I pool our pennies (well, OK, no more pennies - maybe loonies) and buy one together. LOL (I want the half with the pedals, though).

Not sure, but I **THINK** that means I'm exactly half-way to getting her to agree to "let" me buy one! :lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, how about a time share? I'll take it Sunday thru Wednesday!
:laugh: Probably the closest I'll ever get to owning one!

I did ask my insurance agent about it. They say, because the car is so new, they would base the rate on MSRP, but expect it to go up once there is repair experience on record.

For me (pushing 50), that means a premium of about $100/month while the car is on the road to start with, but crystal ball said more like $130 to $140 will be a more realistic figure after the actuaries get their hands on it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Canadian website for 4C appears to be up:
https://4c.alfaromeo.com/en_ca

(that is to say, this is the first time I could select Canada and get the Canadian dealerships to show up).

Still cannot select Canada on the main Alfa Romeo web page though. Dumb!

The brochure:
https://www.chrysler.com/ca-en/alfaRomeo/content/68929_15MY_AlfaRomeo_4C_NYAS_Hero_Card_Canada_English.pdf

And today's Globe and Mail article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/trans-canada-highway/first-drive-alfa-romeo-4c-teases-and-pleases/article19349235/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts