Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my dear Alfa owners:

Thanks to a FerrChat members request, I thought I should share some pics of my Alfa GTV6 and Ferrari 355 chop shop project. Started this project about a month or so ago with a donor 355 and a GTV6 with a bad engine. As to why or why not, just a personal preference. Thought that a GTV6 with the 355 power will be an awesome Alfa to drive and keep the cops off my back.
here is the link until next time I will post some photos to this site.

1986 Alfa 355 - FerrariChat.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are a crazy man. Yup. ;^P

But the project is amazing. I am totally checking in to watch it's progress.

BTW, posting pics on a site like Imageshack would be nice. That way we wouldn't have to register at FerrariChat to view your pics.

Thanks, and good luck with your project.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Glad that you're moving forward with it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
can you post pictures elsewhere so everyone doesn't have to become a Ferrari member to view them... Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't worry guys I got the Alfa crowd covered in this insane build! Here are the crazy pictures you have all been waiting for... enjoy! P.S. makes me want to get my Gtv6 running again
(I have been thinking of replacing it with an e36 m3:eek:)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem like there would be massive chassis play and instability with so much mass in this part of the vehicle..... it also appears that there isn't much room left for a driver to sit (comfortably). If I correctly recall my driving position always has my seat rather far back in the GTV6, I am Six feet tall. Either way it should make one hell of a grocery getter!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow, what a project. I would say the Alfa V6 would sound alot better than the Ferrari V8, and be more reliable(355's are a problem child). But the performance should be amazing. I wonder what the final weight will be.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big thanks to Elliot for the pics. I was having difficulties with the upload and tried to make it sound like I knew what I was doing :) The final outcome is yet to be figured out. I got nothing to compare this to to say what it will or will not do. Here's what I have decided on for now.
Control arms will be shortened to push the sides in.
Axcell shafts will be replaced with a shorter one. Just the middle shaft. Not going to mess with the splins or other stuff. The suspension dynamics will be considered of course for travel issues. The shock brace on top will also be relocated inwards about an inch. I know, I know I am crazy:)
This weekend will use 1.5x3/4 tubing to reinforce the rear edges of the top frame rails to the slanted rear post.
Working on 16" gotti wheels with higher prof tires for install.
Got the seems welded by the door posts.
The seat is an issue. Believe when done, the seat will be pushed all the way back, the steering shaft will be shortened and the pedal assembly will be moved forward a bit more.
Just found a new job so the progress will be a long one but will keep you guys updated on the build. Guess just need to take lower resolution pics from now on.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask if the engine is going to be located where the rear seats are. Kinda like a Ferrari 355. Or are you going to front mount it with a drive shaft?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rear will be exactly as a 355 from the firewall back. Will have teh 355 firewall, the 355 gas tank for vacume issues, the engine and the gearbox. The front will be a battery, radiator, trunk, some extra weight, sound system, some James Bond gadgets and more James Bond gadgets.
Will also install a air compressor driven pistons to act as a jack like on race cars to raise the car for servicing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Madness!

I entertained similar ideas concerning my Lancia 8.32 engine (a 308 QV derivate) but didn't want to cut up my GTV 6 and there were no suitable candidates available nearby. How much of the engine was left after the fire? And don't change the hood for the flat, uninteresting one. Make up a lie about how the bump is making room for the spare wheel or something.

Good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not much has been going on the car. Restored another GTV6 maratona in the last two months for daily driver, bought another 84 gtv6 for future restoration, two kids, wife and work takes the time away.
Next step is to remove the gastank area from teh car since it takes too much room. Will fit a fuel cell in the back. Also working on new control arms from scratch. Modified one side from original, now going to make a jig based on the modified one and reproduce brand new wichbones for both sides, lower and upper. Already got the new bushings for it.
Will keep you posted on major forward movements

thanks for the interest

·
Registered
816 Posts
Looks like @Alfa355 hasn't logged in here since late 2017. Too bad. Was wondering if this project would ever be finished, but not looking good at this point.

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
As with many of these projects, they end up gathering dust in the corner, and eventually the parts get sold off or parted out. Would have been interesting to see if it was finished and how it drove.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts