Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I've found a set of alfa 33 4wd abs rear disc brakes, can they possibly be placed on a alfa 33 1.3 with drum brakes on the rear. how difficult is the process of changing them, is there andy manual? thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's a freakin good question, anybody got any ideas?

I would have thought the rear brakes were a p4 unique item.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, I'll gladly take them off your hands if they are taking up room on your lounge room floor :) I'll even pay for postage!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a sneaking suspicion they bolt right on the 2WD rear axle... I want a set now!!:rolleyes:
I would wish it will be that easy, but seriously is there any body ever tried doing it?? im really thinking of buying them but i dont want to buy them for nothing. hehe. + if they are mounted ok, how can i make them work..??If i buy them it will trigger my long time wanted project to change the engine to a 17 16v with some mods :D:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
There were some 2wd 1.7 16v with disc brakes at the rear, so it must be possible to fit them onto any 33.
In eper (parts program) there is only one version of disc brakes, so it must fit on 2wd or 4wd.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I doubt that. I'm pretty sure the way the axles bolt on is different too.

Standard 16v, both of the trailing arm things connect to the back and front, ie. One of them goes forward from the axle and the other goes back.

On a p4, they both go the same way, so I don't think just bolting it onto a 16v back end is that straight forward.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The standard 2wd 16v were available with an ABS option in Australia, although I'm yet to come across one with ABS fitted. This would be the easiest option to fit rear brake discs.

Someone on ebay was selling some 33 brake conversion parts in the UK and I got in touch with him - here are some photos of some mods that he did for a 33 axle. Basically you just need to design and weld on a suitable bracket to hold the calipers, and fit the appropriate hub and disc. The choice of caliper is important, one with a handbrake mechanism is required, unless you can get away with a hydraulic handbrake. Alfasud front calipers might be a good choice, but one would need to create modified handbrake cable system to engage them. Remeber on the Alfasud they are mounted inboard close to each other and the handbrake mechanism simply pulls the two leavers "in". If you've had a 'sud engine/gearbox on the garage floor, you'll know what I mean :)
Alfetta rear calipers might be another good choice. What about rear Alfa 156 calipers? Are they twin piston with a handbrake mechanism?

~Benjamin

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you're just going to use alfetta/alfasud calipers you may as well just use the alfasud rear disc setup.

The alfetta calipers are a virtually direct bolt up with some spacers.

Are we forgetting that alfasuds come with rear discs?

Also I could be wrong and I do have a p4 that I should be checking to validate this, but isn't the handbrake on a p4 in the hub?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Standard 16v, both of the trailing arm things connect to the back and front, ie. One of them goes forward from the axle and the other goes back.
I'm pretty sure all series 3 alfa 33s had the rear axle setup with all 4 trailing arms facing forward. Different to everything that came before it. The 2WD
16v QVs also had the rear discs.

Perhaps it would be easier to modify one of these later axles to fit into an earlier 33, rather than modifiying the early models stub axles etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
use 155 rear calipers!
you need a donor 16V abs model.
the problem is you need a handbrake cable which is NLA..... so you need a donor or will have to be creative. The rest is bolt on plug n play. Though I don't recall if you need another master brake cilinder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts