Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised, I finally motivated myself (well actually just made the time), to upload some pics of my 16v project. I reckon it will be at least a month before I'm driving again but its going to be worth it. It really is amazing how previous owner's lie about their cars - Dismantling this motor only revealed it had infrequent oil changes with low quality oil.

Thankfully I didn't find any serious damage, the worst being some idiot replaced one of the valve guides with a custom oversized unit - so fitting a replacement valve meant another trip to the machine shop (cheers Dino246!).

Nice and clean...

Hopefully I'll be able to keep it this clean!

Crank awaiting to be dropped in. Hopefully I won't see this again for another 200,000 km.

Pistons and rods awaiting assembly and the new rings.

Stock pistons - would have been nice to used my forged units, but this is just a daily driver.

Everything was balanced, acid bathed, linished, etc. I'm awaiting return of the heads after the new valve guides are installed. Just about everything in the engine bay has been removed to be cleaned and rebuilt.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics:

Like my cam covers and intake manifold?

All good things come to those who wait - ever tried finding a replacement 33 16v front bumper at a decent price?! (That's not the final coat, just the primer!)

More to come!
~Benjamin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking good Ben, at least they used some good coolant! The heads were in good nick, shame about that one guide.

Have you tried out that high lift build undercoating gear? Hopefully get some sunshine to finish of that painting!

Good luck with the rest.

Regards,
Tim.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice got to love the look of a new clean engine if only it stayed like that inside mmmmmmmmm
I loved my heads ooohhhhh ported and polished and new cams from colombo bariani.

I like the wrinkle finish on the cam covers nniiicccee.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I might donate some money to Colombo Bariani in the near future!

Who did your porting and polishing? Did they run the heads on the flow bench?

Tim - what's that "high lift build undercoating gear" you mention?

~Benjamin

·
Registered
267 Posts
I might donate some money to Colombo Bariani in the near future!

Who did your porting and polishing? Did they run the heads on the flow bunch?

Tim - what's that "high lift build undercoating gear" you mention?

~Benjamin
Nah for a daily i don't reccomend it and i got the street version....as if theres a bigger cam than what i got:eek:Due to the increase in duration creating an increase in overlap the vaccumm at idle is a bit eratic. Plus power is a bit less below 4 but fun at higher.."no dear i only rev it to 3...":rolleyes:

I had Motorossi do my porting abd polishing, did a mental job on them. Surprising how much crap was grinded out of them to get them right..lots of imperfections from the cast. And the result is way more throttle response.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm tempted to buy a decent die grinder and some nice diamond tools to have a go myself. Would probably be wise to experiment on a couple of old 8 valve heads first though before I touch the 16v!

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!

I finally found some time to add some more pictures of the rebuild, i sure some of you will be interested to see how things are progressing!
Finally got the heads back after 4 weeks or so, had to have all new valve guides and 1, yes 1!!, custom guide as somewhere along the line someone forced in a slightly over size guide and messed up the fitment of a new one. But all is well now. Had the valves all reseated with the proper 3 angle grind for optimal valve sealing, so compression will be up to spec!
Also fitted the cams the right way round this time, someone fitted the inlet cam for the exhaust...duh!! (same side with the bad valve guide...why do people do these things??!!)Now onto the pictures...

The heads...

With cam covers...mmm

Block with headgasket and ready for heads...keeping it clean here!

heads on...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
more...

Mocked up with the intake plenum..also red wrinkle finish...

Gearbox was fully rebuilt with new synchros, dont skimp here!

Resprayed bumper and acessories, we do all painting in house..my brother (77SudTi) is very very good at it...:D these are before the 4 coats of clear went on...mmm shiny...

Thats it for now...more soon..keep and eye out!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also fitted the cams the right way round this time, someone fitted the inlet cam for the exhaust...duh!!
Wait, were not talking about ed are we? :rolleyes: haha

Top work guys, shall be a nice tourer when complete. Still can never get over how compact these little units are!

This is making me want to get the toothbrush out on my engine :)
ciao.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another 4 hours work...

I was just going to clean up the 16v throttle bodies with some carby clean, but soon decided a complete strip down would be a better idea seeing as I've gone so far on the engine - they sure did come up well! Will post more pics soon...

~Benjamin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm just new on this board and I'm very anxious to see how this story continues?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still working on it every chance I get!

I wanted to install the injectors, fuel rail, throttle linkage, thermostat etc yesterday, however all of the above need a bit of work. Injector seals look dodgy, the bearings in the linkage are shagged, and the thermostat is ready for the bin - so I'm off shopping today. Just a matter of cleaning up all the ancilleries and bolting it all back together.

We're a bit over halfway done with the painting - but my brother is reluctant to paint my engine bay :)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yet another update - more pics coming this week...

Installed clutch and clutch plate. Designed and built custom bracket to hold hall-effect sensor for replacement speedo. It is an annoying fact that Alfa 33 speedos do weird things!

With a bit of luck, 77sudTi and I will get the engine bay prepared and painted this week, weather permitting :)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.