Alfa Romeo Forums banner

alfa 2000 touring spider valve shims

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  2000 touring sp 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am searching for 10mm valve stem shims for my 102 engine

does someone have some ? used ? new ? nos ?

or a source ?

rgds and thanks

Franco

#2 ·
Related to above...

I'm attempting to source valves for the FNM from Brazil. These exactly fit the 102 head in all regards, except they have a reduced diameter upper stem of 9mm, allowing the use of late-model valve shims. As an alternative, does anyone know of valves from other makes (BMW etc?) that might do the job for us?

I'm also looking for retainers and keepers for the FNM valves for obvious reasons, but suspect these could be found domestically with enough research. I'm working on that as well.

Jay has remarked on valve changes as an option to finding the non-findable 10mm shims. Jay - can you re-educate us on your discoveries?

#3 ·
Hi Don ,

can you confirm that the rio valves have a dia of 10mm and reduced upper of 9mm so that the alfa 105 115 116 typo 9mm shims fit ?

FYI : so far I know only old mercedes had 10mm valves , I used the goetze oil seals from mercedes on my valves liners

rgds Franco

#4 ·
Franco,

The valves in my FNM head were 10mm stem with 9mm top. I used 105/115 shims to adjust the clearance. We used standard 102 valve guides to fit the 10mm stem.

It is entirely possible that earlier Rio/FNM units had 10mm stems all the way up, but mine had the reduced shank at the top. I saw a similar valve at the machine shop with smaller top than stem, but we have not yet done any measuring of the head, length, etc.

#5 ·
hello Franco
I have user Hacker in Germany, for new shims. I measure the tolerance I need,and ordered them with the correct tolerance. Its easy, but time consuming
G. Häckner GmbH - Ersatzteile für Alfa Romeo

DP3. Can you confirm, that the FNM valves has the 10mm shaft, and just fits the 102 cylinderheads valve seats,and with the 9mm top to soot the shims from the 105 series or later.

#6 ·
Franco,

This is the 3rd time I have answered the same question. How am I not being clear? The FNM valve a) has a 10mm stem that fits the standard 102 valve guides, b) has a 9 mm reduced upper stem that accepts the 105 shim. I did not do the valve grinding myself, so cannot attest whether the angle of the valves is the same as the 102, but the diameter is the same, so should fit the 102 valve seats so long as the grind angle matches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.