Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa 2000 Touring long restoration

31K views 134 replies 26 participants last post by  PSk 
#1 ·
I have just discovered this forum and from what i have seen, it seems fantastic. I need some time to have a look at the various posts that interest me.

I own a 1960 spider which i had bought for restoration in 1994. In 1998 i dismantled it thinking that the panel beater would start it immediately. But it seemed that he lost heart on doing it probably since the right front end had some day suffered some very bad damage which was repaired very badly. After running through two other panel beaters without luck, i delivered the body on the 01/03/06 to another panel beater (2 very good ones actually) wo only started work on it 11 months later!

To be able to proceed, they really require some good photos or designs of the front end from the inside. I am trying to attach some photos of the car how it looks now (not nice really) so that you can imagine what is needed.

Please help whoever can, thanks

Charles Engine Vehicle Auto part Car

Vehicle Car Classic car

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the BB, Charles!

Great project! You may also want to post your location, and perhaps check if you have a local Alfa Romeo Owners Club (Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA | Home) in your area. The AROC is not affiliated with this Board, but there are AROC members who post here. If you (and the guys working on your car) could see an actual car in person, I think it would be of great help.

Best regards,

#3 ·
Twp liter nose

Your panel beaters are doing great. Radiator looks well set, and the holes in firewall show careful welding. Perhaps all you really need is a nose? I have a car with rusted out floor with a decent nose. You do NOT need a left front fender, but the nose and right fender might be of help. I am in Seattle area. But where are you. I had to have a nose shipped to me (did not want to cut up another of my cars back in 1990, and charge to ship from Minnesota on a pallet was $250.00 then (maybe triple or more now). Might be best way to get car right. How are your mechanicals? Jay

#4 ·
thanks for your immediate replies guys.

Unfortunately I am very far from you, I am in Malta if any of you know where that is. It is in the Mediterranean, a 100km south of Sicily. There are two other cars like mine on the island, one has a poor restoration so I cannot really bank on it whilst the other is in a fantastic condition but would rather not ask. I would not mind a decent nose if you can ship this although i am not sure if the cost would justify it.

Thanks again

Charles

#5 ·
Wow, That is quite a distance at that!!!

Unfortunately I am very far from you, I am in Malta if any of you know where that is. Charles
Ouch. Never been there, but know where it is. At least Seattle is a sea port and Malta is an island. Challenging. But perhaps? I will ask for shipping costs. Would be nice to see a car restored RIGHT. Have you a direct email?

#6 ·
Hi Charles,
Is one of the other 2000 Spiders you refer to owned by Mr. Carol Galea at the Malta Classic Car Collection?

Best bet for body parts might be checking Ebay.it and getting something from Italy.

Are you in the Malta Alfa Romeo Owners Club? I know they have a chapter there...

I'd love to see some more photos of Alfas in Malta. I'd like to spend my winters there!

#7 ·
Yes, the good one is Carol Galea's, do you know him? He is a friend of mine but will not ask him to take photos and unfortunately he is never around with it.

I used to be in the AROC of Malta when i used to run around in a 156. Now that i do not have an Alfa to use i am no longer a member but planning to join again soon. I know most Alfa owners here and know most of the old cars around.

I do also own a couple of 2600 sprints, one is for restoration and the other is a parts car. I will scan some photos and send them.

thanks for you interest.

Charles

#8 ·
Charles,
I know there are a lot of vintage cars on Malta (as the weather is condusive to year round use) and that you follow British road rules. Are most of the classic cars Right Hand Drive?

I have a RHD and LHD Sprint and daydream about driving around Malta, but which one?:)

#9 ·
there are quite a few old cars on the road and we are having quite a few imports now that our Federation has worked for lower first registration tax and have managed to obtain such. First registration is an issue as this tax is outrageous, in the sense that an ordinary 3000cc car can end up paying over $40000 as a minimum if the car is coming from the eu. With cars manufactured before 1976, we pay half this. Of course i quoted the highest minimum rate.

we drive on the left of the road as the British although we usually drive in the shade! But my alfa are all left hand drive, i like them left hand drive. Your RHD 2600 should be rare. I understand there is one on the island. Actually, I only know of 3 Sprints in Malta and i have 2.

You are most welcome to come an drive yours here or if mine will be ready I am willing to lend you mine.
thanks
Charles

#10 ·
Hi Guys again,

i am looking for the bonnet stops with the following part numbers:-102.04.62.245.00/01 – 2 pcs; 102.04.62.242.00 – 2 pcs; 102.04.62.245.00 – 2 pcs e 102.04.62.242.00/01 – 2 pcs.

I have already tried Afra in milan by they only have part of the order (only the screws). to tell you the truth I cannot find the original ones. Will have to check if my parts cars have anything but probably they are in a terrible state.

thanks

Charles

#11 ·
Help Needed

Hi,
my panel beater has come up with fresh problems. I have repaired and chromed the grille (not to my satisfaction but it was badly dented). Now the grille is straight and we are suspecting that it should not be straight. Can anyone show some pics of what angle this should be bent. I am enclosing some photos for you to see what i mean.

Please help me, and please remember if you could inform me where i can get the rubber bonnet stops.

thanks
Charles

Attachments

#12 ·
Two liter "horsecollar" , i.e. grill, bend

Charles. Your panel beaters are doing a wonderful job. They are getting the nose together well. The top is correct. Perhaps just a bit too bulgy above the horsecollar grill, but not seriously out of proportion.

So, have them put on the bottom part of the nose if they can. Then you can decide how how the whole nose should be shaped from looking at pictures. The rims edges around the grills below the headlights (to the side of turn signal and fog light) are even up and down in front. I assume you have found the chrome rims for them.

But once that is done the bottom part of the horsecollar is bent gently to the rear to fit the rounded nose front of the car. I do NOT know how to give you any angles or dimensions, but the entire grill unit is not too strong and will bend gently to take it. Only on the sedan or on the Giulietta Sprint is the grill flat.

Jay

#13 ·
Help

Thanks Jay for your immediate reply.

I have passed on your suggestion to my panel beater but you must appreciate the condition of the bottom part of which i am attaching a photo. I am also enclosing other photos to see what is going on. I wish if someone can at least send me a photo of the grille from the side of it to show the gently bend.

thanks
Charles

Attachments

#14 ·
I don't have any photos of the grille detail you're looking for, but maybe these press pictures from the CarDisc CD help:

Attachments

#20 ·
Great pictures, Mike! Is this Mark St.'s car?

#16 ·
Found some nose pictures from a car meet in Germany last year...

Attachments

#17 ·
and some more.

Attachments

#19 ·
BTW, note the USA vs European hood scoops in the pictures above.

#23 ·
102 Grille

Charles:

I don't know if this will help, but I put my grill against a straight-edge and measured the sag at the middle - it measures about 8.5 millimeters. BUT - when I mount the grill I know if flexes several more millimeters as the mounting screw pulls it against the sheet metal. Good luck.

George

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Hey Franco, and Fellow 2liter lovers on the BB

Good body work, Franco. Did you actually do this body work yourself? Great, great (or congratulations to the chef). I notice you are still missing some of the the inner anchor pipes for the left front bumper. These front bumpers sure are a joke, aren't they! I suspect a 2mph crash test would show they stop nothing. But I think your photo is exactly what the Malta panel beater was hoping to get (along with the photo of the grill from the side). The poor guy will just have to put all his pieces together in some guestimated shape and then hammer on it and bend it to be flowing and pleasant. I have been forced to do that a couple times myself. There are NO templates, no dimensional drawings. It does help, however, to have a couple other sitting around to look at closely. It helps even more when one of them has never been crunched before (one I refuse to take parts from). Hard to get them fixed without whole fenders or noses to graft. The panel beater in Malta seems to have started only with crumpled disaster. And his results are super good. But we can see his problems.

So -- Suggestions for all the fellow two liter lovers on the the BB. The fellow in Spain who fixed his (the one with the installed 2300 RIO engine), and then later ran in the Retro Millia in Italy, remember? He needed to replace only the drivers side front fender and nose. I seem to recall he bought a nose from someone in Europe to do it. So one or the other -- he or the provider -- has a RIGHT fender to send to Malta. Europe is certainly closer than Seattle. So BBers, let's try to put these two together. A piece of fender and nose with part of the curve correct will provide easier and better results than even a wild eyeball guess. The panel beater in Malta is good, but he must be sweating bullets. Jay

#32 · (Edited)
So -- Suggestions for all the fellow two liter lovers on the the BB. The fellow in Spain who fixed his (the one with the installed 2300 RIO engine), and then later ran in the Retro Millia in Italy, remember? He needed to replace only the drivers side front fender and nose. I seem to recall he bought a nose from someone in Europe to do it. So one or the other -- he or the provider -- has a RIGHT fender to send to Malta. Europe is certainly closer than Seattle. So BBers, let's try to put these two together. A piece of fender and nose with part of the curve correct will provide easier and better results than even a wild eyeball guess. The panel beater in Malta is good, but he must be sweating bullets. Jay
Hi Charles, hi Jay, hi all....

unfortunately I didn´t read this threat till today! Jay, I think you´re talking about me.
Yes, I have this partscar, but in a very poor condition. If it helps - tell me!
I bought it, because bodyparts are really hard to find. There is nothing at AFRA and all the others....
The bumbers and other parts for example are much easier to find. There were several sellers at the fiera "Auto e Moto dèpoca" at Padova in October.
(I saw them beeing rebuilded at "Epoca Car" an italian parts dealer near Mestre VE )
@ Charles: the CD with all the pics is on its way to Malta;)

good luck!
Werner

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.