Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Are there any (unforeseen) issues to be expected changes US rear lights with European ones?

Thx.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The lenses are interchangeable and will fit the housing without modifications. While you’re at it, inspect/replace the gasket, screws and washers. Also expect some corrosion to the housing reflector surfaces. The screws can be replaced with similar size SS pan heads from the local hardware store; the phenolic screw washers can be replaced with rubber O-rings; search the forum for what others have done to address housing corrosion... or just replace the lenses and go for a fun drive con brio.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only issue you might have could be in the wiring of the plugs for the replacement lenses. I got 2 from Classic Alfa and the brake and park light wires were reversed in the plugs. How do you know? Well, when you turn on the lights, the park lights are super bright (Looks like rear fog lights) and the brake lights barely do anything. The solution is just to take a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the pins out of the plugs and swap them. I commented on this in a post I made in my thread “Progress!“. It’s easy. AND you may not even have that problem. But @bellagt is correct, they fit fine into the standard orifice. Get new gaskets while you’re at it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
One issue, not with Euro vs US, but between early and late. On early assemblies, the inner bottom screw was not in the corner but next to the reflector. It probably did not seal very well, and the screw was moved to the corner, the original location becoming the date code. Only the later kind is available.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only issue you might have could be in the wiring of the plugs for the replacement lenses. I got 2 from Classic Alfa and the brake and park light wires were reversed in the plugs. How do you know? Well, when you turn on the lights, the park lights are super bright (Looks like rear fog lights) and the brake lights barely do anything. The solution is just to take a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the pins out of the plugs and swap them. I commented on this in a post I made in my thread “Progress!“. It’s easy. AND you may not even have that problem. But @bellagt is correct, they fit fine into the standard orifice. Get new gaskets while you’re at it.

I am also replacing the clusters, will keep an eye on the brake vs parking light! Thx!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy

Well that turned out to be straight forward...no issues at all. Everything worked directly using the same setup.

Thx for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts