Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got the gauges for my 1959 Spider back from Palo Alto Speedo and thought I'd share some pics. I bought the lens and gasket set from David at Parts Correct and they are beautiful. Then Palo Alto gave them the full treatment including re screening the faces. They re-chromed the bezels and even re-plated the cases. The gauges I sent in were pretty rough, but now I think they look brand new!

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,601 Posts
How much? When I spoke to them in about 08, they told me they couldn't do our gauges anymore, due to no internal parts. Glad they're back in the game.

·
Push hard and live
9,601 Posts
Mark,

Silly boy. I was asking about cost to restore, not buy them. Only reason I might need new gauges would be from banging my head into mine due to my grandson's antics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks! It was pricey for sure, but my gauges were pretty rough.

Gauge lenses, gaskets and new pointers for speedo and tach from Parts Correct: $550
Palo Alto Speedo restoration with repair, re-screening, chroming, Zinc plating etc: $2100

As Hartmut pointed out, it's really six gauges in four instruments and the amount of work was pretty significant. And David's lenses and gaskets are key to making them "new" again so I thought it worth the cost.

It does seem like a lot of money, but wow, I think they earned it with how beautiful they came out.

·
Push hard and live
9,601 Posts
I had a spare set of new etched face plates that someone made a while back that I let go for, I think, $75. Whoops. Fortunately, I found a NOS set of gauges when I was doing my car, so skipped the rebuild process. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a spare set of new etched face plates that someone made a while back that I let go for, I think, $75. Whoops. Fortunately, I found a NOS set of gauges when I was doing my car, so skipped the rebuild process. Fingers crossed.
NOS gauges! Fantastic find!

·
Push hard and live
9,601 Posts
Well..... They were "new", but upon close inspection I decided they were probably gauges removed from new cars due to some warranty claim. The front gasket on one of the small gauges was mis-shaped, and the tach tended to squeal. It was easy enough to fix both discrepancies, and they've been perfect since. I think I paid just less than $1,000 for the set in about 2006.

I have another set, but like I said, I sold the new faces I acquired for them. Figured I'd never need them, as the Roadster spends most of its life in a garage under a car-cover, and very rarely encounters rain or even much humidity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts