Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might just be the angle of the photo, but yes, the roof line on the lower car looks taller than the one on the upper car.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it's hard to compare the 2...the whole perspective is different between the 2 photos...the car in the second pic appears longer, and sits lower in the rear (look at the gap in the rear wheel well)

not sure we can conclude anything at this point

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think they look identical, the difference is due to perspective and different backgrounds... As well as different lighting conditions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1900 Pf Ti

Hi all,

I recently saw one of these, I was very tired at the time after a long drive & it was amongst some other gems but I am pretty sure that it was the white example.

Despite being on a relatively long wheelbase for a coupe, the proportions were spot on, whereas, IMHO, PF didn't quite get it right with some of his better known convertibles of the 50s, including one from Portello (yes, I own one too but I can still be critical!). I want it!

Tony Stevens
England

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

I recently saw one of these, I was very tired at the time after a long drive & it was amongst some other gems but I am pretty sure that it was the white example.

Despite being on a relatively long wheelbase for a coupe, the proportions were spot on, whereas, IMHO, PF didn't quite get it right with some of his better known convertibles of the 50s, including one from Portello (yes, I own one too but I can still be critical!). I want it!

Tony Stevens
England

Quite some time ago, there was a Ghia bodied coupe built on a 1900 TI berlina chassis at Diro Alfa in the south bay area of Los Angeles.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pardon me for interrupting, but after reading thru the above and studying all the photos in the various links is it still possible that there was only ever one car produced? Without dates attatched to the many period shots to form some sort of chronological order, could it be that originally the dark blue car carried variations in grill, hubcap and side mould designs as the basic body shape is the same? Kind of like the Mr Potato Head of the coachbuilding world.......

It then changes color (white?), turns up 50 years later at the resto shop (with extended rear quarters, giulietta tail lamps and an extra serve of patina) and the resto guys return the rear of the car to the original style. I'm assuming thats why there are so many shots of the tail treatment during the resto process??
Any suggestions........?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There was an article about the 1900 TI Pininfarina in the Italian magazine Autocapital No. 5 May 2007.. The article Sportica, ma che classe ... is written by Elvio Deganello and it features pictures of the white car owned by Lopresto. The author say that 4 or 5 prototypes were produced by Pininfarina which can be distinguished by the design of the front. The first one war presented at the Turin show 1954 (two chromed bars on grille), the second one a few month later at the Concorso d'Eleganza del Pincio in Rome (without the bars. The third one is the Lopresto car. The fourth one presented a bit later at the Paris show (i guess 1955 by now - the article does not say) with a chromed, hoirzontal profile in the middle of the front grille.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was an article about the 1900 TI Pininfarina in the Italian magazine Autocapital No. 5 May 2007.. The article Sportica, ma che classe ... is written by Elvio Deganello and it features pictures of the white car owned by Lopresto. The author say that 4 or 5 prototypes were produced by Pininfarina which can be distinguished by the design of the front. The first one war presented at the Turin show 1954 (two chromed bars on grille), the second one a few month later at the Concorso d'Eleganza del Pincio in Rome (without the bars. The third one is the Lopresto car. The fourth one presented a bit later at the Paris show (i guess 1955 by now - the article does not say) with a chromed, hoirzontal profile in the middle of the front grille.

Does that article show photos of the cars? If so, could you please post them? I am now fairly certain that there were at least 3 cars, but no idea how many more really existed...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Almost all pictures are from the restored Lopresto car. Besides that there is one from the Touring proposal and one from Ghia. The only other picture from Pininfarina is the own you see below. There is however no caption saying which of the cars it shows.
I will try to scan the whole article and post it as PDF.... for the ones that know a bit Italian.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is from "Pininfarina 1" a Japanese book about Pininfarina cars.

And here are some other 1900 TI photos...

The PF Catalogue Raisonne says that "a few" 1900 TI PF were made.
Obviously most of the significant differences between the few were the variations in the grille...

Best regards
Ciao Carlo:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scanned article of Auto Italia ... see attachments. I had to split it up into several parts because the file size was to large otherwise.
Have fun reading...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts