Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

has somebody expirience with jetting of the Solex 40 PII for our Alfas?
The jetting on my carburators are diffrent as written in the literatur :(.

Main jet is in the literature 1.40, mine 1.45.......

Does somebody knwo the right jetting?

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Andy,

What do you mean by 'the right jetting ' ?
Do you need the official setting from Solex ? The Solex listing shows exactly the same values as what is shown in the 1900 repair manual at page 79.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thierry
Yes, in the meantime I learned a lot. My Solex where mounted on a 2 Liter Touring engine and had diffrent main jets. Now I ordered the 140 main jets and i will look if my 1900 is running more smoth......
It's not so easy to have the Sokex 40 PII adjust from zero 🤔.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Bummer, I thought that was a typo since you wrote you had a Two-liter Touring engine with Sokex's:)
"It's not so easy to have the Sokex 40 PII adjust from zero 🤔 "
I'll check for the 40 PII info and report back if the Solex manual covers them.

Are they Solex Type 40 PII-4 Dual port downdraught carburetors? IF so, "Solex Selection And Tuning Of The Carburetor" (Arnolt COrporation) has a picture of one but no specific information regarding the 1900 or Two-liter jetting; just a lot of theory about setting up carburetors.
Mark

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
This page at Ruddies Berlin may also be of interest (showing parts of the C.40pii Alfa carb at the bottom of the page).

Since the page shows diagrams of idle, transition and acceleration circuits about halfway down the page, it may be worthwhile to ask Ruddies if maybe they have instructions for setting up the carbs as well (even if for a different engine, the sequence of steps may be the same).

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Andy-I will look at my Solexes and see if I can identify what jets are in them. I don’t know for sure that they are original but I have no reason to believe otherwise either. I’ll let you know what I learn.

-tj

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
FYI, the 2nd and 3rd page were posted in this thread.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
HI Andy and All,

I modified my 1900CSS solex 40PII with NEW inside venturi's which were used on weber and dellorto carbs used in alfa's sud and 33 years 1970-1990.

this gives better performance

the size of the jets we are testing

it is different then the standard setting from 60 years ago.

todays benzina with alcool has different ignition value

and it also depends on what camshaft you use.

I have made new camshafts for my 1900CSS with modern lobe design

rgds Franco

1 - 14 of 14 Posts