Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 91 alfa 164 S that I have some concerns about. Recently I have encountered troubles with my clutch which I have diagnosed with a leaky master cylinder. I have been reading through my manual and other forums and I seem to have a difficult replacement on my hands(location wise). The master cylinder is in a awkward spot in which I have heard of people removing their drivers seat to access the cylinder. I'm curious if anyone has done any master cylinder replacements that has some knowledge on the job itself and where to buy a new one or if I need any other parts/tools while I'm at it. Also I'm wondering if there is any guides to doing this, Its a longshot but worth asking. Thanks

·
1991 164L
27,869 Posts
Where are you located USA or Euro? Clutch master cylinder Alfa p/n is 60511350 for Bendix one. Many versions by other companies available on ebay.

My 164S rehab project moving forward again
#2 Dec 20, 2016 (Edited)

Changing 164 clutch master cylinder hints

I guess removing the fuse panel door would help BUT I did it without removing it.

First lower fuse panel door and pull off plastic shoe and fabric sock covering master cylinder.

Then close door, remove driver's seat, put down some back cushions and go at it laying on your back.

Once you have steel line disconnected and clevis pin out of rod end and clutch pedal you may have to open door again and use long extension, universal joint and socket set up to get mounting bolts out.

Be careful of removing nylon nipple and supply hose. I had to replace hose from brake reservoir to clutch master cyl. I used a M8 threaded stud inside old and new hoses to pull new hose through firewall.

I have a post on here somewhere about changing this cylinder.

See if these help: post 2 My 164S rehab project moving forward again

post 3

My 164S rehab project moving forward again

·
1991 164L
27,869 Posts

Here is what it looks like.

·
1991 164L
27,869 Posts

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,297 Posts
My feeling is, based on my own experience, is that if one has to replace the clutch master cylinder, the slave and hose should be replaced first to see if that is the problem. Then, if the problem still exists, replace the master. Just my thought on the subject.

The clutch problem I had in the LS a few years ago was contamination particles at the slave seal, but once the slave and hose were replaced, the problem went away, but I later had the master replaced just to be sure, because of comments from my wife, lol..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I contacted the guy I bought my alfa from to see if he had any issues with the clutch. He said that he had replaced the slave twice as it was leaking. I checked out the slave and I didn't see any fluid or leaks near it. This has lead me to believe its the master. I am thinking about doing both cylinders while I'm at it just for ease of mind. I'm located in Canada, hopefully parts wont take to long.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,297 Posts
The problem we had with the LS slave was internal leakage past the piston seal. No fluid was lost outside the cylinder, no leaking. It was just the seal letting fluid flow past it internally, not actuating the shaft.

When the PO replaced the slave before, did he also change the hose I wonder? Those original hoses seem to disintegrate after time, producing particles which get into everything, including the slave and it's seal.

I still suggest changing just the hose and slave first to see what happens. One step at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts