Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to see if I could install the Alfa 164 60775141 factory roof rack and 60790124 cargo rails I got off ebay last year on Old Blue.

Took me awhile to locate hidden screws in roof of car that you have to hook rack mounting brackets to by backing out screws into hole in mounting bracket.

Figured I'd try mounting it on a car with less than pristine paint for my first attempt.

I'll probably use rack to carry stuff to AROC convention this summer and maybe will get a bike rack attachment to go on it ,too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
I have the same roof rack but was not able to find any of the fore/aft attachments as you show. Rack works well, I haul lots of lumber on it, and you can install and remove it without scratching any paint if you are careful. Any chance of getting a copy of the official instructions that you photographed?

BTW, Key4classics.com in Oz has replacement keys for these racks, but you have to thin them a little, as the chrome plating makes them a little too thick to fit in the tumbler. No problem though. Someone had broken into my car and took the rack key (figure that one out) among other things such as sunglasses and quarters in the coin slots.

Lol, I found the car looked faster if the rear rack was slanted aft the same direction as the front, not reversed as you have.

People forget that there are those little bolts behind the roof rubber. Wouldn't mind having some spares. If anyone is parting out a 164, I would buy a set from you.

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I found the car looked faster if the rear rack was slanted aft the same direction as the front, not reversed as you have.
Cargo rods not long enough to do that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dudes..

Lumber? C'mon, everyone knows the 164 is intended to carry exactly one thing on its roof - in California, at least...

Seriously, the rack was originally a Barrecrafters ski-rack purchased in the mid to late 90's, that actually listed a 164 as an application for its aero/under-the-upper-door-lip hooks. I ended up using another car for ski trips, so.. when the need arose, I drilled out some rivets and removed the upper/hinged clamp bars and left the lower, structural ones for a generic attachment rack. With a foam surfboard cushion and straps (mine is from Wise in SF), it can carry a board.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Any diagrams showing the fore/aft installed position? Also, the clamps just slip under the rubber door seals?

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks good. What sounds from it while driving?
My, square roof rails, make a fairly strong sounds.

I did not look at the date :))

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
Above each door, just pull the rubber back a little to see the head of the small retaining bolt. That's the location for mounting. The bolts have an undercut head so that the tab hole catches in that undercut. Yes, the tab just slips between the rubber and the edge of the roof. You probably will have to remove the bolt all the way to slip the tab down far enough so that the bolt can slip back in the hole to screwed in just a little. It's a tight fit otherwise. You will also most likely have to loosen the Allen head bolt in the mounting legs to get things aligned. Then retighten.

Be sure to place a cloth on the opposite side tab to protect the roof when you try to slip the tab down past the edge of the roof if you put the rack on by yourself. Otherwise have someone hold the other side up. Don't rest a tab without protection on the roof, as it may scratch it as you fiddle with the other side.

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I sure do miss QS2 my 91 164L shown here with roof rack: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4959177-post15.html

Another look with cargo hauler on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/252529-fall-winter-qs2-rehab-project-update.html#post4985409

I hear it has been abused and sets with frozen oil-less engine and ELMA headlights.

Do I dare try to take possession again for 4th time and bring it back from the dead once again?

Graham to try to sort of answer your question there are four phillips head screws hidden behind the rubber trim pieces along roof line that once you have 164 factory roof mounts in place you have to turn out CCW to lock 4 rack mounts to roof.

I have more pictures and posts showing these better I will search for them.

If you need a original 164 roof rack with snow ski adapters I have one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I sure do miss QS2 my 91 164L shown here with roof rack: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4959177-post15.html

Another look with cargo hauler on it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/252529-fall-winter-qs2-rehab-project-update.html#post4985409

I hear it has been abused and sets with frozen oil-less engine and ELMA headlights.

Do I dare try to take possession again for 4th time and bring it back from the dead once again?

Graham to try to sort of answer your question there are four phillips head screws hidden behind the rubber trim pieces along roof line that once you have 164 factory roof mounts in place you have to turn out CCW to lock 4 rack mounts to roof.

I have more pictures and posts showing these better I will search for them.

If you need a original 164 roof rack with snow ski adapters I have one.
Thanks, got it installed. Bought the rack from LS Jr so I should be set for now. I'll post a photo tomorrow

·
Registered
660 Posts
Rack installed, but now I can't get my door seals back on - any trick, other than try harder? The cold isn't helping...

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn't have to take upper roof door seals out to install factory rack. If you removed those long black seals along roof line did you break any of the white plastic clips holding them in?

VW uses same clips I posted that part number info on this bb years ago.

Now, if not those ribber seals what seals did you remove?

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
That's right. There are holes in the rubber seal which allow you to access the little bolts with a screwdriver. I've never had to mess with any seals.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Yes, don't remove rubber seal. Also if you can't remove the screw, don't use a hammer screw driver to try removing them.......:(

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
Because the PO had reamed out the Phillips part of one bolt, I've bought several used sets of those unique bolts. I'd say that 99% of 164 owners don't know they are there. And, if you lose the key for the covers, Keys4Classics in OZ has them, although they have to be filed just a little thinner, the chrome coating making them too thick to fit in the tumblers.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Interesting little sucker, that screw is. I had to explore after reading this.

Just throwing this out there for a universal rack option. Although I'm curious if this is a true fit or not. The rack on the roof of my Passat clamps to the roof and sits on large rubber blocks. The roof is all metal without mounting points, and the door has the felt and rubber seal. Kind of opposite of the large rubber seal along the roof of the 164. Interesting if this car is still supported by the aftermarket.
https://www.etrailer.com/roof-1991_Alfa+Romeo_164.htm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alfa 164 roof rack for sale with snow ski adapters

I have two 164 factory racks w/keys. One has two keys and only one key for other one.

Also have snow ski adapters but no keys for them.

Anybody interested in rack with one key and key less ski adapters let me know and we can talk price.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
That looks pretty similar to a Milano rack, Spite fire

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
I've disliked those styles of racks, as I don't like the tube ends sticking out the sides. Some stuck out so far, you had to cut the ends off to reduce the length. I never wanted to whack someone.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Because the PO had reamed out the Phillips part of one bolt, I've bought several used sets of those unique bolts. I'd say that 99% of 164 owners don't know they are there. And, if you lose the key for the covers, Keys4Classics in OZ has them, although they have to be filed just a little thinner, the chrome coating making them too thick to fit in the tumblers.
My rack came with a set of common head bolts that replaced the Phillips style factory bolts.

·
Premium Member
16,159 Posts
They probably work ok. The undercut head is just for extra insurance, retaining the tab in place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts