Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My first post and its the dreaded power steering issues ..go figure
I replaced my 1990 164 pump and rack a year ago, bought a rebuilt pump at B&B auto and a rack at international auto have about 2 k on it. After a year of use it was about 10 degrees out and after a min or so of warming up, I hear a sort of pop sound and then the power steering started making a whining noise of which slowly went away as it warmed up. Every time since, it does the same thing so, I went ahead and pulled the passenger side wheel and investigated where the noise was coming from which seems to be mostly at the pump but I can hear it through the interior in the general area of the driver side steering wheel. I checked the belt tension and fluid level which checked ok. I even changed the fluid with new Dextron 3. I turned the wheel all the way to the right and left to bleed air and at the stops on both ends the noise goes away but, anything in between it returns until it warms up and there is still a slight noise which is hardly noticed after warming up.

I used a steth on the pump and hear a sort of clicking noise which lead me to think that the pump may be at fault.

If so, I know B&B policy on the pump will not cover it after a year nor will International auto if it happens to be the rack so, I am reduced to a few options

I would like to know what you Alfistis think may be the best route to go and personal experience with rebuilding a pump.

I am thinking I should try to rebuild the pump myself if I can't return it, ( am able to do so ) hopefully it is not damaged beyond rebuilding and if so, where can I get parts numbers for the bearings and seals? I checked with Difatta website but am not sure if it comes with bearings.

Any input would be appreciated , thanks

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
Hello all,
I replaced my 1990 164 pump and rack a year ago, bought a rebuilt pump at B&B auto and a rack at international auto have about 2 k on it. After a year of use it was about 10 degrees out and after a min or so of warming up, I hear a sort of pop sound and then the power steering started making a whining noise of which slowly went away as it warmed up. Every time since, it does the same thing so, I went ahead and pulled the passenger side wheel and investigated where the noise was coming from which seems to be mostly at the pump but I can hear it through the interior in the general area of the driver side steering wheel. I checked the belt tension and fluid level which checked ok. I even changed the fluid with new Dextron 3. I turned the wheel all the way to the right and left to bleed air and at the stops on both ends the noise goes away but, anything in between it returns until it warms up and there is still a slight noise which is hardly noticed after warming up.

I used a steth on the pump and hear a sort of clicking noise which lead me to think that the pump may be at fault.

If so, I know B&B policy on the pump will not cover it after a year nor will International auto if it happens to be the rack so, I am reduced to a few options

I would like to know what you Alfistis think may be the best route to go and personal experience with rebuilding a pump.

I am thinking I should try to rebuild the pump myself if I can't return it, ( am able to do so ) hopefully it is not damaged beyond rebuilding and if so, where can I get parts numbers for the bearings and seals? I checked with Difatta website but am not sure if it comes with bearings.

See Di Fatta Brothers - Alfa Romeo and Fiat Parts Sales and Service they show 9939873 kit aka 9950141 in stock. According to this picture bearing comes with it:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Hello all,

Welcome. Have seen this happen to racks within a year. Just an option, I have rebuilt racks with a 36 month warranty, pumps with a year warranty.
I have never had any come back during warranty or after. I have seen the less expensive racks/pumps go bad within a year, fairly common.
I myself have one on my own vehicle with 5 years on it.
Rebuilding you can do but IMO it is better to leave it up to the pro's with the machining to repair it to better than new.
I also have the rebuild kits, will check my stock, they are around $75 or so from memory.

Anyways, welcome and sorry to hear this as what a pain of a job.

Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. Have seen this happen to racks within a year. Just an option, I have rebuilt racks with a 36 month warranty, pumps with a year warranty.
I have never had any come back during warranty or after. I have seen the less expensive racks/pumps go bad within a year, fairly common.
I myself have one on my own vehicle with 5 years on it.
Rebuilding you can do but IMO it is better to leave it up to the pro's with the machining to repair it to better than new.
I also have the rebuild kits, will check my stock, they are around $75 or so from memory.

Anyways, welcome and sorry to hear this as what a pain of a job.

Jason
Thanks Jason,
Well of course as mentioned I got my rack at International Auto. I am just wondering if they will stand by their product and replace the rack. I have done quite a bit of business with them but never had to return a part. Do you think its the rack and if so, what most likely caused it to go?

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
Thanks Steve for the info. I tried to get a picture when at the Di Fatta website and all i could get was a PDF file with the list. At least now I can see whats inside
No pictures on their website just part numbers so you have to have ePer DVD or parts CD to see part pictures.

As for which comes first pump or the rack if no pwer steering feel I vote for pump. Maybe bad check valve or spring.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Thanks Jason,
Well of course as mentioned I got my rack at International Auto. I am just wondering if they will stand by their product and replace the rack. I have done quite a bit of business with them but never had to return a part. Do you think its the rack and if so, what most likely caused it to go?
I would go with the pump first as well. At least it is much easier to replace.
No boots full of fluid?
Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts