Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Always Looking For Another backronym holds some truth. I spotted this 1991 164 L that looks to be in good shape, but I can't help but feel it is a bit overpriced at $7500. I've not looked at 164s a bunch, so I'm not sure. The eBay car fax shows that the current owner has only had it for 3 months, which raises some questions.

The car is local to me so I may have a look.

Any thoughts from you all?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
As 12 valve 164's go, that car on ebay does look pretty good. It has shiny paint, it seems to have had a lot invested in maintenance, its got a sunroof, its clean, ..... But as scorpion2 wrote, $7,000 is well above the current market for 12 valve 164's. The seller may have that much (or more) invested, but the market doesn't always return sellers' investments.

Go ahead and have a look at it. If you like it, politely tell the seller you are interested, but at a lower price. Give him your contact information and ask him to let you know if it doesn't sell. You may hear back in a month or so.

Reactions: mhendri

·
Registered
446 Posts
I always think every car is overpriced, you pretty much have to decide what it's worth to you. Someone wanting an exact car like this will probably be willing to pay more than someone else just browsing.
It looks clean but according to the autocheck thing it looks like it's been in an accident. Unless he has before pictures (and sellers RARELY do!) then that would lower my bid significantly. Fortunately you can check it out in person and decide for yourself what it's worth.
And as a side note, it always bugs me when the seller stated what a great deal it is, and in this case he does it twice.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
This looks like a nice clean '164-L' 'stick shift' with very low mileage. A buddy sold his very nice 164-S a couple of years ago for a bit more but it was due for a timing belt.

Chances are, you could find a 'cheaper one' with higher mileage (or an automatic) with 'needs' that would cost you much more in the long run!

This one looks like it could use some new engine compartment stickers and a new driver... A new clutch and a timing belt probably cost about $3,000. How's the power steering rack?

The 164 is becoming a very rare car. When I drive mine it gets a lot of 'thumbs up' . Each fill up takes an extra 15 - 30 minutes to explain what it is. Mine was only 30k, about 28 years ago!

Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the insight and you're all a great sounding board - its really helpful.

I still plan to take a ride to go see it and will consider making an offer on it. Thanks for raising good points. I'm certainly curious about the accident, and why the current owner is turning it around so quickly (~ 3 months).

I'll follow up if I end up with some new wheels!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Good luck on your quest! A couple of ideas that I'd like you to keep in mind. 164's are relatively 'cheap to buy' today, considering their creature comforts, etc. They are comfortable, quick, handle well and are fun to drive. They are not 'appliances' like a Honda or Toyota, in that they demand a bit more maintenance and attention. If you are mechanically inclined and have a garage, great! If you are a checkbook mechanic, please have a pre purchase inspection done (PPI) by a knowledgeable 164 mechanic and keep a healthy reserve in your checkbook.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts