Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa 164 L A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley or Belt

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 ·
I have an A/C Compressor seized on my 164 L. The car has overall rather touchy electrical problems with the A/C electrics and interior fans, so I am opting not to fix the A/C Compressor. The rest of the car is in stellar condition.
I would like to either replace the A/C Compressor with a suitable bypass pulley, or swap out the two belts with one longer all-in-one serpentine belt that reaches all the way around the water pump pulley and alternator pulley.
Does anyone know where I can order either of these parts? And perhaps some basic instructions in either case?
I have almost removed the A/C compressor; does anyone have a decent bolt removal diagram available for that? And how to tie off the freon tubes safely?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the BB. Hope your enjoying your 164:) How long have you had it? Is it a US model?

There is a nut on the manifold side of the lower compressor bolt that is probably preventing you from removing the compressor. The best way to find it is from under the car, looking at the back side of the compressor.
The simplest and cheapest way out for you is to remove the compressor and replace the compressor bearing. The compressor itself isn't the problem, it's the bearing associated with the pulley on the compressor. Replace that bearing and reinstall the compressor even if you never use A/C. It acts as an idler pulley when the A/C isn't on.
There are no kits that I'm aware of to replace the compressor. A single belt won't work since the alternator pulley isn't in line with the crank, water pump and compressor pulleys.

#3 ·
That's awesome, what a quick response. I am originally from South Africa; had an Alfa 33 for 4 years. Had my Alfa 164 here in the US only 4 months. Mint condition all round. It was a New Jersey car, now in Utah. Only 88K miles, so worth fixing, but can do without A/C operating - dry heat in Utah y'know :)
Seems like the the A/C bearing can be purchased from AutoZone for around $25. A sure-fire part number from an expert would be great, so I don't go wrong with the bearing part for the Sanden hardware.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.