Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi bulletin board. I am still looking for a 164 Alfa Romeo in Southern California and am only interested in 12v models, I have heard the 24v are more expensive to work on. I am looking for a daily driver ready condition car (title in hand, registered with no backfees)I am on a tight budget being a college student so show cars are not what I'm after, just a car I can drive 10 miles to work and school. Feel free to pm me or txt /call me at 909 938 two six seven nine.

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple good leads but nothing yet. A project for 1k, a 6-7k, and a quick flip for 3k with no records or history. I am looking to spend 3k max so something in between would be perfect.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Check out the black 91 L on eBay. That will likely sell at your price point and apparently doesn't have many issues, aside from the AC needing a charge. (Could be more than that though).

Alfa Romeo Other 4DR Sedan Lu | eBay

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the lead. That alfa is on craigslist for 4k. I spoke with the owner and he seemed a little optimistic about the condition on ebay. He told me all the windows are slow and that he doesnt know the backround of the car before he posted his ebay add. 4k is way too much imo but I am definitely watching it!

The spyders are great! But i have a 5.0 convertible mustang already and need my second car to be a 4 door. The original goal was an accord but those are too boring so here I am!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I might be interested in selling my 91L. It has 105K on it and drives excellent. I would entertain offers between $3500 and $4000.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This just popped up: 1991 ALFA ROMEO 164 sedan 111k miles

I believe I saw it on an auction website a few weeks ago. Chances are its a flip, but if it passed smog and runs, that's a plus.

If I were you, and could afford it, I'd talk to AlfaTango first. Might as well buy a turn key no worries car vs fixing another up, or having more issues than you'd like to take on!

This car on Craigslist will likely need well over $500 in parts alone to make it reliable. I bet there are no service records here. So if you're extremely mechanically inclined and want to learn how to work on these cars, you may be able to get this one for $1300ish. But plan on the common fixes to err on the side of caution. Water pump, timing belt, maybe idler pully or tensioner. Power steering racks can often be issues as well.

Good Luck! If you need somebody in SD to check it out, let me know

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you bring that car up I just saw it on cg this morning . I thought the same thing as you, it looked like it had been in an accident if you look at the front left fender fitment and theres no doubt it needs a t belt and water pump at a minimum. A car sitting under an easy up is never a good sign. Unfortunately I'm not mechanically talented enough to do the work so it would be a money pit, but i bet some one on the bb could do the work themselves and have a sweet car. I've been talking with tango so we will see, it was a bit out of my price range but you are right, i don't want any surprises! They get expensive fast!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He just upped the add price (only by $25) and added in the car is on non-opp. Looks like we were right.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You need to look outside the S. Cal area. Example, here is a nice one that a buddy is selling. For gas and a lil' sumpin, I'd even drive it down to you.

PS, my buddy has two of every part, so it will all be there. His name is Matt BTW.1993 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto

·
Registered
557 Posts
If I were you, I'd jump on Rob's friends car, and take him up on him driving it down! Maybe try to to knock a hundred or two off the price, and you've got a well maintained, clean 164 for well less than $2k.

Also, this is a great example of the people you'll meet and relationships you can develop through other Alfa Owners. Great people!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the links. Your friends car looks like a steal at that price. I know there are a lot of 164's in the surrounding states but I'm old fashioned. I would want to see a car before i committed to purchasing it. I'm not a mechanic but kicking the tires and checking the engine is still there would put my mind at ease. Plus i would have to go through the DMV for out of state cars and that's never fun or cheap. I'm in no rush, if something pops up in the area awesome, If not I can wait.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If I wasn't trying to thin my own herd (Jeep grand Waggoneers) I'd jump on my friends car. The clear coat is rubbing off on the trunk. Other than that, it is a real solid car. Come up here, crash in my spare room, drink a bottle of pinot, fill the car with new friends from Craigslist rideshare and make a trip of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts