Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it really pays to shop local and thoroughly research who you send components to for repair, especially when some components can be hard to find, or RHD components different to LHD, and repairing may be your last resort.
In this computer age, making a flashy website for your business seems the norm. Maybe people forget that the website is only the front door to enter the business, and poor communication and workmanship can be running wild behind that front door.

I live remote Central Australia, my Alfa 164 is stored in New Zealand. Doing repairs over the last few years has required some good organisation. I try to get back to the car 2 times per year, to enjoy the car and keep up to standard.
Over the last few years my mission has been to get the Climate Control back to full operation. When i purchased the car, it was working, although some of the fan speed bars were going out. Over a few more years the unit slowly shut down, loosing display for fan, temp, and then fuel release, boot release function. Worst was the hazard lights coming on any time they wished, driving or parked.
After sending the unit to Europe for repair, i eventually got it back, only for it not to work. After some long distance communication, being assured it will be corrected, off it went again, and again it came back in the same state. Well what can you do.
I went local, found a talented young chap in the middle of New Zealand, and the repair was carried out in a very timely manner with excellent workmanship and communication. Repair cost, well, half the amount of the European place.
In fitting my reconditioned unit, next problem to resolve was the fan speed controller. To find one of these, good luck.
Knowing Saab ones also work, i went hunting, only to find also a Mercedes Benz model has the same, and got one from a breaker in Sydney, Australia.
In February this year, i got back to my car, fitted the controller and now have a fully functioning Climate Control.
Attached pictures, happy to offer advice and repair contact if you are stuck with this type of problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, real happy with the outcome, auto function excellent. Really like the dash on these at night time. Great having the boot and fuel release function back. Also put a new switch in the driver seat for heat, working well to. The rocker type switch, not to many about i find. Carried out other maintenance also, will post soon.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts