Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys, im a newbie here and was wondering if any of you can help me.
im using a 164 24v engine in another car and for now intend to keep the original motronic ECU. i got some manuals to investigate the ECU connection with the instrument panel, and it looks like there is a serial synchronous transmission between them. anyone knows about this protocol? or used the engine with the original ECU without the instrument panel connected?
its a Motronic M1.7
any help is appreciated.
if the post is in the wrong section tell me where it should be please!
thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi
I have used a 24v V6 3 litre engine with its ECU in a different car (Ref Sprint 6C) and it does work without the instrument panel being connected - My problem is actually trying to get the instrument binnacle to work!
There are two relays though which only switch the fuel pump on when the engine is cranking on the starter then keep the pump running whilst the engine is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for the reply!
so you just rewired it and left the plug that goes to the panel disconnected?
and when plugged in it actually doesn't work?
did you have to do anything else?
did you connect the relays to an output of the ecu(or kept the originals?).
do you know what Motronic ecu you have?
sorry for all the questions, and thanks again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well I used the 164 engine loom with the Motronic ML1.7 ECU from the 164.
But the engine is now in the rear of my Sprint and so I have had to extend the loom from the two plugs to reach the instrument panel plus add the wires from the Sprint loom into a new pair of plugs which feed into some of the wires (25 out of the 64) on the six plugs on the 164 panel. There are 3 12V supplies to the panel and two 0V Earths which seem to interfere with each other so now when I indicate, the oil pressure gauge goes up and down in time with the indicator lamp! And I still have no rev counter, temp gauge or voltmeter.......But the engine works with the panel like this or disconnected completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts