Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 164 buying guide list does it need updating?

John is more complete: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/189340-my-take-buying-164s.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this over under another post in FS section. I posted it in 2006 do I need to revise and add or delete items?

"Kinda depends on the state of the car when you get it.

Areas of concern from front to back for 12v models:

Cooling fan motor bearings seize (can be replaced)
Cooling fan low speed resisitor fails (upgraded one came out in 94).
Serpentine belt idler bearing and belt (Use Dayco cross hatch belt).
water pump bearing due to overtensioning stock serpentine belt
A/C compressor clutch pulley bearing
Alternator voltage regulator brushes (easy to replace regulator)
Timing belt and tensioner (oil fed leaks, mechanical one not Murphy proof hard to install/tension correctly without damaging/breaking thermal clutch spring.
input shaft BALL bearing IF INSTALLED pre 94 5-speeds fails replace with overload roller brg.
front strut lower bearings get stiff from dirt
Heater core burst (usually from overheating engine due to cooling fan problem)
Blower motor bearings can seize
A/C heater stepper motors for temp and air distrubtuion in dash
inner/outer door handles crack
fuel pump hose inside tank cracks
Accumulator spring(s) weak/broken in ZF A/T if slow to engage in D or harsh 4-3 downshift

Add concerns for 24v
Timing belt idler/tensioner bearings seize
Cam timing jumps
coil packs arcing
heater core rupture
cooling fan issues bearings/resistor
a/c control panel LED display fades

If well maintained during its life it is a good car. I have 205,000 on my 164B I bought new and maintained myself. Still have original engine as it came from factory, but at 130,000 changed clutch and input shaft ball bearing in 5-speed tranny with overload roller brg, changed stepper motors 10 years ago and did fuel pump hose in tank about same time.

I have 173,000 on our other daily driver I bought last year for $900. It is a good car but I had to change stepper motors, replace fuel pump hose in tank after bad previous wrong type hose replacement let go, had to replace a/c clutch due to bad bearing, replaced front axle boot and master cylinder that locked up one summer in the heat. Replaced accumulator springs in ZF autobox to correct shifting issue.

Have replaced cooling fan motor bearings in my one owner and serpentine belt idler bearings too. Have replaced oil fed timing belt tensioner with mechanical one and changed timing belt every 30,000 miles for safety.

Never been stranded in my 5-speed and only once in A/T one when that bad fuel hose repair by somebody before me let go on me in traffic.

If you "investigate that noise" before something fails and do scheduled maintenance these cars are nearly bullet proof.

I change timing belt, oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid at regular intervals and keep on keeping on."

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just another thanks to you Steve!

I am re-reading the 164 buyers guide as I am looking at a 91 this week!

Thanks so much,

ncng

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I've seen that one too. It's UK-centric and not completely applicable to US models. IMO, US buyers wanting relevant information should stick to reviews produced in the US and oriented to US models only.

I also think that review is way overly pessimistic, critical, and lacks perspective.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that one too. It's UK-centric and not completely applicable to US models. IMO, US buyers wanting relevant information should stick to reviews produced in the US and oriented to US models only.

I also think that review is way overly pessimistic, critical, and lacks perspective.
I was just rereading my list above, too. I need to amend it after all these years since I wrote it.

I agree the UK write up is pretty negative and has a few half-truths in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Even though this is a US forum, not all members live in the US, there is a world out there besides that have original euro models :) I find the buyers guy helpful & factual.

Cheers Martin

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Enjoyed reading the German evaluation.
FIAT transmission. That's cool.

Here a pic of the input bearing shaft ROLLER bearings on my 1994 5 Speed.
Anyone have a shot of the pre '94 BALL bearings?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone know if they upgraded the hoses in the fuel tank or changed the design at any point? I.e., does this problem apply to all model years?

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if they upgraded the hoses in the fuel tank or changed the design at any point? I.e., does this problem apply to all model years?
They went from one hose to two hoses so double the trouble on later models.

Maybe they used a better hose though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Enjoyed reading the German evaluation.
FIAT transmission. That's cool.

Here a pic of the input bearing shaft ROLLER bearings on my 1994 5 Speed.
Anyone have a shot of the pre '94 BALL bearings?
i am also intersting on the shaft bearing because i have a roolers noice when the car runes faster then the enguine and the gear is not in nutral. ( like when you down hill and dont press the gas). is this the problem? is it that bearing ! 1994 164 super 3.0l v6 24v.
thanks

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Even though this is a US forum, not all members live in the US, there is a world out there besides that have original euro models :) I find the buyers guy helpful & factual.

Cheers Martin
Hence my proviso ". . . US buyers wanting relevant information should stick to reviews produced in the US and oriented to US models only." Many US buyers do not know that the non-NA cars can be quite different, even within the same supposed model.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am also intersting on the shaft bearing because i have a roolers noice when the car runes faster then the enguine and the gear is not in nutral. ( like when you down hill and dont press the gas). is this the problem? is it that bearing ! 1994 164 super 3.0l v6 24v.
thanks
Here is some pictures and info on both ball bearing and roller bearing used on input shafts.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/48795-alfa-164-5-speed-transmission-front-input-bearing-info.html

·
Registered
201 Posts
thanks steve but i already read that but didnt get an answear if the rooling noises that i here are this bearing thing. i am asking because i want to buy the parts before taking down the gear.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks steve but i already read that but didnt get an answear if the rooling noises that i here are this bearing thing. i am asking because i want to buy the parts before taking down the gear.
I doubt input shaft bearing is causing the noise you descibe above. I believe you have an issue with differential gears or differential bearings.

The bearing preload maybe incorrect and causing improper meshing of ring gear with output shaft pinion gear.

·
Registered
201 Posts
aha
so this rolers srsrsrsrzr sound that i here only when car is ranning faster then the engiune and only when i am in some gear(1,2,3,4,5) are from the difernchial you think ?
mabe the oil is no good ?
so we come to the big q ?
which is the proper oil to put in the manual 1994 164 gear ?
i dont know what i have there, but it is red.

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aha
so this rolers srsrsrsrzr sound that i here only when car is ranning faster then the engiune and only when i am in some gear(1,2,3,4,5) are from the difernchial you think ?
mabe the oil is no good ?
so we come to the big q ?
which is the proper oil to put in the manual 1994 164 gear ?
i dont know what i have there, but it is red.
ATF is what is called for in USA spec 164 models. 75-90w gear oil also used by many.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts