Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 384 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
pdf story board on changing heater core and blower motor

Thanks for this show and tell.

Here is a pdf copy of the instruction manual for the blower removal process that oz3litre wrote for [his] my university Advanced Technical Writing course in December last year. [he found that taking out the whole air-con evaporator saves a lot of time and trouble and is less likely to lead to breaking vital plastic things. You just have to get it re-gassed afterwards.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1118366-post95.html

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
164 oil pump and aux gear drive set info

I went from squirter block to squirter block when I did my engine block swap project so used oil pump and drive gears that were in original engine. Oil pump 60513124 is same part number pump for all 164 V6 engines.

The 164L engine blocks serial number 20053 and up had squirters same as 164S blocks

There are different pump drive/driven gears between 164S/later 164L and early B/L non squirter blocks.

If you use 164S or 164L squirter block/head with aux shaft 14 tooth brass gear 60559666 and 15 tooth steel oil pump gear 60559665 that are called for in squirter blocks you should be fine if driving 164 oil pump or GTV6 or Milano pump if converting 164 squirter block to RWD use.

The 81-90 engines up to 7/90 production used early style 10 tooth drive gear and 15 tooth driven gear but, this early 15T gear different from later 15T gear.

Refer to TSB 01.92.02 Auxiliary Drive Gear Sets for all 2.5 and 3.0 V6 engines.
Aux Drive Gear Sets must be replaced in sets.

Note: if using a GTV6 or Milano pump and trying to not use a distributor to hold gears properly meshed you will to use a 164 oil pump shaft and impeller set so you can install nut and washer to hold gears in place like on 164 set up. Or else you will need to make some kind of spacer and bearing set up to do the job.

Now is it a 164 3.0L? If so is it a 164B/L AR06412 engine early serial number engine or a 164S AR64301 engine?

Reason I ask is 164S oil pump aux shaft gear ratio is different and S oil pump driven gear that I have seen also does not have notch cut in the top to drive GTV6/Milano distributor.

You can't mix and match drive/driven gears. The GTV6/Milano/early 164B/L aux shaft drive/driven gear sets are different than later L and all S engines. 10/15 gears so 1.5 gear ratio

The 164S and later L gear sets 14/15 gears 1.5 gear ratio are same as 24v V6 and I think the oil pump turns faster because blocks have oil squirter check valves to spray under sides of piston domes for more cooling.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Steve, I am having trouble with my 1991 164 B clutch and throw out bearing. It is making a squealing sound and actually started smoking. Needless to say I have not driven anymore and the smoke is not coming from fluid that I can tell. Anyway, have you written up a how to on replacing the clutch and throw out bearing? Your tips on replacing the water pump and timing belt were invaluable. I have never replaced a clutch on a front wheel drive transaxle only on rear wheel drives- older Fiat 1500 Cabriolet and 1966 Giulia Sprint Gt and both were a long time ago.
Thought I would ask and thank you for taking the time to post your maintenance tips.
Jim

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Hey Steve, I am having trouble with my 1991 164 B clutch and throw out bearing. It is making a squealing sound and actually started smoking. Needless to say I have not driven anymore and the smoke is not coming from fluid that I can tell. Anyway, have you written up a how to on replacing the clutch and throw out bearing? Your tips on replacing the water pump and timing belt were invaluable. I have never replaced a clutch on a front wheel drive transaxle only on rear wheel drives- older Fiat 1500 Cabriolet and 1966 Giulia Sprint Gt and both were a long time ago.
Thought I would ask and thank you for taking the time to post your maintenance tips.
Jim
See if these threads help:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/848137-post29.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/862969-post37.html

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
How to pull Alfa 164 Engine Diagnostics / Check Engine Light Codes

How to pull Engine Diagnostics / Check Engine Light Codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to pull Engine Diagnostics / Check Engine Light Codes

Self test procedures to pull codes on Alfa 164 models if so equipped.

How to pull Engine Diagnostics / Check Engine Light Codes OBD1

OBD2 did not come into play until 1996.

Here is how you do it on your 91-93 12v V6 model if it has square test button on left side of steering column cover:

Alfa 164 Motronic Self-Diagnosis http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/diag.htm

Here is how to do it on a 94-95 24v model:

Alfa 164 Motronic M1.7 Self-Diagnosis http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/94motron.htm

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Alfa 164 24v cam timing Tech Bulletins, etc....

I will try to add some adobe pdf links to 24v engine TSB's:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #132

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Alfa 164 1991-95 Fuse info USA models

Info taken from 1991 164B/L, 1993 164L, 1992 164S and 1994 164 Owner's manuals.

Please note fuse box position of fuses in owners manuals is not same thing as Fuse No. in wiring diagram manuals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
R134a NAPA conversion fittings for Alfa Romeo R12 systems, valve core tool info, etc.

I use NAPA Auto Store R134a 3/16" conversion fittings on my Alfa Romeo A/C conversions as both original R12 service ports on 164 were same size unlike some other cars.

Blue capped low side 409903

Red capped high side 409902

If you have to replace a bad valve core in a service fitting use proper A/C system service port valve cores such as this Factory Air 26200 in my picture or NAPA 209578 valve cores.

There is also a larger valve core used on some 1/4" service fittings but not usually found on 164 conversion.

Factory Air standard and large bore tool is 59302 but I don't know NAPA number for dual size tool as I can't find that dual size tool right now.

NAPA Universal valve core tool is 78-3210.

Note: Remove old valve core(s) from R12 fitting(s) before you install this/these new NAPA conversion fittings which have/has threads leak sealant in their threads and have new valve cores in them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
Testing fuel pressure on an Alfa 164

I hook tester T-fitting into fuel pressure line rubber hose at front of 12v V6 engine. On 24v engine it is at rear of front fuel rail. The rear fuel rail of both engines is fuel pressure regulator return hose to tank (do not hook gauge there).

I remove non-red stripe fuel pump relay S12a Bosch 0332014113 on back of top of radiator support and jumper relay socket pin 30 pink wire from F22 engine services fuse (Hot with key on) in main fuse box to pin 87 pink-white wire to fuel pump.

With engine off, relay socket jumpered and key on you should get 40-43 psi and it should stay trapped in gauge and fuel line if submerged rubber hose(s) in tank good and check valve in submerged pump good.

It is sometimes possible for fuel pressure regulator on outlet end of fuel rail to bypass at lower pressure and even leak by vacuum diaphragm so if lower pressure alway remove vac hose from intake plenum regulator to be sure no fuel leaking there.

Once in awhile you can have a leaking injector and if so with good fuel pressure with pump running and tank hoses good pressure may also drop but usually you will be fouling a spark plug and have a miss in engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
Changing Alfa 164 engine mounts

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1168946-post9.html

Changing 164 V6 engine front and rear lower mounts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Jack car up first either under jack pad in center of subframe under radiator area or one side at a time under front corners of sub frame and put jack stands under body jack points under both front door areas.
2. Support engine with board on floor jack under oil pan.
3. Disconnect upper dog bone from body and rear head.
4. Disconnect top of air cleaner to protect big black hose.
5. Remove nuts at lower mounting studs to engine.
6. Slighltly loosen left side subframe bolts (air cleaner side of car).
7. Support right side of subframe with second floor jack.
8. Loosen almost completely the 6 R/H side of subframe bolts.
9. Lower jack under R/H side of subframe and jack up slighty jack under engine.
10. Remove two bolts holding front mount to subframe and three bolts (two different sizes) holding rear mount. Rear mount slides forward out of subframe but front requires mpre room to lift it out of subframe.
11. Your may have to lower subframe more and actually remove 6 bolts holding it and jack engine more. Just be careful not to stress axle CV joint, exhaust pipes, air cleaner hose, etc.

Be sure when you do put new front mount in you have little alignment pin on top of new mount facing correctly to match alignment hole in engine bracket.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
Adjusting USA 164 Carello Headlights

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1170395-post25.html

I had to use a 1/4" drive thin wall 12-point 7/16" that I had to further grind down the outside diameter of socket to get it into the small square hole for lower up/down 11mm hex head Nylon adjuster.

Adjusters also have #2 phillips inside 11mm hex head but it hardly ever will move adjuster and usually just strips out being soft nylon.

You can use a thicker walled 11mm socket on upper in/out adjuster no problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Craig's pdf file drawing and picture of his 12v V6 cam pulley holding tool

How to make a replacement tool for the factory cam pulley holding tool 1820051 PF (A.2.0361) for the Alfa 12v V6 engine.

Thanks to Craig for this drawing and picture of his finished tool.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/493141-post34.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/492730-post28.html

You can also order a A.2.0361 tool with other end on it for Aux Shaft drive pulley removal from these folks:
V6 Cam Pulley Tool - A.2.0361 (A.2.0361) :: TotallyAlfa

I made one from tool seen on ebay for Hondas, etc: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1172787-post15.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
121 - 140 of 384 Posts