Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfa 164 5-speed transmission front input shaft bearing info:

Current Alfa part number for (code 970) overload version roller bearing is 46403722 replaces older number 60810762 so price could go up it looks like.

I have new samples of both those Alfa part numbers and they are stamped SKF 206EC/VC025 GERMANY 028B ON outer race and SKF NJ206/28.5ECP/VC025 GERMANY 028B ON inner race.

Mr. T states his old ball bearing was a SKF 6206123.5ETN9 GERMANY

I also have a couple old used ball bearing style - one good one and one bad one.

Mine are both FRANCE SNR AB12179 outer and inner races. The good one has additional number E91 on inner race. Alfa numbers for these were 60800240 and 60800343.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Time for a bump up?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,Alfisto Steve!
Tell me please 60800240 and 5999437, this is AB12179, or not?
60800240 with number AB12179 on it is ball bearing type bearing (old style).

60800240 BEARING - Replacement date:06/2003
Prod. code Desc. 5999437 BEARING is replacement bearing according to ePer but is it a ball bearing or roller bearing?

I suggest you use new style roller bearing 46403722 BEARING

Product previously in use for: 46403722 BEARING

Substituted Substitutes
7565536 BEARING - Replacement date:03/1994

60810762 BEARING - Replacement date:06/2003

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks Steve!
I saw. Roller bearing course better. But to order it and wait for 10 days. A ball bearing 60800240 available, the SKF 6206/28, 5E TN9. I would buy it.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve!
I saw. Roller bearing course better. But to order it and wait for 10 days. A ball bearing 60800240 available, the SKF 6206/28, 5E TN9. I would buy it.
OK do what you got to do it will last long time, too.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would not bother installing an old style bearing. The new one is far more stout. Without a pilot bearing, this thing has a tough life. Too much destruction happens when the ball bearing type fails. Do as you see fit, but I would wait for a new style to be sent, you only want to do this once.
Charles

·
Registered
656 Posts
Certainly it would not be desirable to remove and put a transmission some times. But the ball bearing has worked 14 years.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Granted the ideal would be roller bearing but a new ball bearing if readily available should be fine for you to use. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice pictures of car and Black Sea coast.

As for tranny input shaft bearing you do know to replace it you have to take transmission apart and lift out gear sets and shafts so you can remove bearing with a gear puller off input shaft and then press new bearing on shaft?

It can be a bit tricky to remove parts in certain order. Section 13 in shop manual cover procedure pretty well. Roller bearing is easier to use than ball bearing, too.

Here are a few links about doing bearing change on 12v trannys your 24v has reverse lock out cable which is not covered in these:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/34482-taking-5-speed-apart.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/48568-picture-support-roller-input-shaft-bearing.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/33353-trans-exploded-2.html

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump up again for 2010.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I haven't understood you a little:confused:
Just bringing this older post on input bearing info back up for a person with a ball bearing problem in his transaxle.

I might add when replacing bearing you also order a new 46411951 TO bearing sleeve and input bearing cover seal assembly.
The clutch throw out bearing slides on it and it has inner and outer seals to keep tranny fluid from leaking out.

The 164B/L TO bearing was 60805112 now 60811561.

The shifter reaction bushing is 60568546.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Steve, this is an old post from 2010. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere... I've been deliberating over whether I'll replace the bearings in my 24V 5-speed transmission or attempt a 6-speed conversion. 6 speed alfa gearboxes are as rare as hen's teeth over here in NZ so a bearing replacement is probably my best bet. I have the parts manual, but I thought it might be safer to ask an expert...

What exact bearings (with part numbers) should I source for a 164 24V manual trans overhaul?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Just curious, since I have both a 24V and 91S w/manuals. Usually the bearings last a very long time. How many miles/kms on the transmission? Which brand and weight lube was used in the transmission? Is there bad bearing noise or whatever?

Steve will answer you pronto, but have you looked at the Fiat parts Eper on line to get started for part numbers?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven’t looked yet, I thought you guys would be the most accurate source!

There is a bit of rattle and whine from the gearbox, it changes well though.

It’s done 240000 km. When I bought it and changed the fluids it only had 800mL in the transmission! Not sure how long it had been in that state.

I need to replace the main crankshaft seal. I thought I’d do the clutch and bearings at the same time.

No hurry though - I’ll probably tackle sometime next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
If you are going to have everything out, then I suppose checking and/or replacing the bearings would be a good thing to do, but some of these gearboxes do have whine after quite a few miles, esp third and fifth as they slowly increase their clearances in my own experience.

I installed a used low mileage (75k miles) 95Q gearbox in my 94LS and it turned out to have more third gear whine than I liked. Don't know why, but I assume the gearbox was used harder than usual, but am having to use heavier gear lube, etc, in it to help quiet it down some. this gearbox was to replace the stock 94 gearbox, which had a very irritating whine in fifth gear above about 65 mph. Not good when driving faster (70-90 mph) on long trips here in the US West. Alas, traded one whine for another.

And my 91S with 190k miles on it is beginning to have a little bit of third gear whine, just because of the high mileage I would guess. Always used the ATF as delivered in the US, but now has Redline 75W90 NS gear lube, just for something different, lol.

So, with ~145k Ks on the gearbox, I wouldn't be surprised with a little gear whine, but only a little from normal usage.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
I haven’t looked yet, I thought you guys would be the most accurate source!

There is a bit of rattle and whine from the gearbox, it changes well though.

It’s done 240000 km. When I bought it and changed the fluids it only had 800mL in the transmission! Not sure how long it had been in that state.

I need to replace the main crankshaft seal. I thought I’d do the clutch and bearings at the same time.

No hurry though - I’ll probably tackle sometime next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing specific to re-place. Best thing is to remove everything, mic bearings etc and see what needs to be replaced. I rebuilt my S box a few years back. I only replaced a few things. I do not remember exactly what they were but I felt they were getting a little sloppy so I ordered up the parts and replaced them. Super tight and nice after. I use only Gear only in these. Motul 300 Gear.

Not a tough gearbox to go through so it might be worth the effort to just check things.

Most likely input shaft bearing. I have some roller type on order but have some ball in stock (SNR made in France).

I do have access to most of the trans bearings, gears and synchros. or have them in stock.

It's a pretty fun rebuild if you do it. Of course it's easier to swap out boxes but it is nice to know what is going on in your box.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts