Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Rather than keep tagging odd bits on other threads, thought I'd start a new one on this as have now got it all running - pretty much.

The setup is 3-pin OBD to OBD2 cable, mated to a KKL OBD2 to USB cable.

Important note for the 3-pin OBD connector: the additional 12v +/- connectors that come with it do both need to be both connected too. Although you can get it to function without connecting this additional -12V when I tried it that way I was getting a burning smell; which could have been too much -12V loading on the ECU wiring loom as a result.
After making a cable, to run the additional 12v +/- connectors to the rear cigarette lighter socket, there was no more burning smell.

Software:
The drivers for the KKL cable installed automatically in both systems I tried: Windows 7 (32bit) and Windows 10 (64bit).
I then ran it through trial versions of Multiecuscan (pics 2 and 3) and AlfaOBD (pic 1).

As OBD1 doesn't use hardware synchronisation but has to emulayte it through the software, latency (signal delay) is the biggest issue in maintaining the connection. Multiecuscan has a 'high latency' tickbox option, which made it fairly stable. AlfaOBD offers manual selection of such parameters and haven't figured out exactly which to try changing yet. As it stands haven't been able to get any ECU readings from AlfaOBD yet, although it does see the ECU too.

Both Multiecuscan and AlfaOBD are good pieces of software. In terms of understanding how the ECU system is operating on the road, considering you can't read and drive, the option AlfaOBD gives for recording the measurements seems to make it the most useful of the two - assuming it can be made to connect with stability.

By the way, forget the ELM237 systems for these cars: both software versions state these are incompatible.

Will give more updates as they happen but thought some of you might have been interested in this topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's extremely interesting! I'd be very interested to try the same set up. Do you have any idea if there is a module to read the adaptive suspension (CDS) ECU? The 3 pin connector is in the boot and is identical to the Bosch ECU connector. I have an original early 90s Marelli tester that works well for the electronic suspension but they are very rare and I worry that mine will die unexpectedly at any time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's extremely interesting! I'd be very interested to try the same set up. Do you have any idea if there is a module to read the adaptive suspension (CDS) ECU? The 3 pin connector is in the boot and is identical to the Bosch ECU connector. I have an original early 90s Marelli tester that works well for the electronic suspension but they are very rare and I worry that mine will die unexpectedly at any time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi,
Sorry but seems not. Just logged into AlfaOBD again and checked for options on other engines, including the 4wd 164s and still only engine/abs coming up. Need to pop out now but when back will try the same with multiecuscan, as recall this did give an extra option for the auto gearbox on one so maybe they will do something for the electronic suspension too. Will post findings later today.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
DanNZ have checked multiecuscan and sadly it shows nothing for the suspension in any 164 model, although does have a setting for the 164 automatic transmission.
Have emailed AflaOBD about the manual latency settings and will post the new results once they get back to me and I can punch the numbers in.
Going to buy the full version of one of these products and will also post results of on-road findings and any other info I can gleen.

Part of this is also to get 24v AFM data, prior to a much delayed AFM rebuild, to see the difference before and after.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlfaOBD replied already with which settings to change. Not able to get to the car at the moment but will plug everything in again tomorrow (Monday) and post the results.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, sorry for the delay in posting results here.

To cut a long story short, am still struggling with this.

Multiecuscan, using high latency setting, does give useful ECU data but the connection is unstable and generally drops within a minute.

AlfaOBD? Can not get it to connect at all, not even by performing setting changes suggested by it's makers.

Has anyone had any better luck with any of this or got any suggestions for how to get my setup to work more reliably?

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As is posted a few times somewhere here in the BB, i can only report for ML4.1 ECU connection:

1) MES works extremely unstable with loss of connection after 10s with a KKL USB-serial interface, but works very fine with the KBM-systems OBDKey Bluetooth interface
2) AlfaOBD: like MES, but about 30s until loss of connection at KKL-Interface
3) Wilco's 164Diag: only KKL-mode, also not stable in my environment
4) SanderQV's KWP71Diag: only KKL-mode, also not stable
5) more to come

All above suffer from instability issues while connected throu the KKL interface, this is a OS issue as there has to be done strict KWP71 bus timings and Windows OS is not a RTOS.

What can you do:

i) use 4) for quick data aquisition when you know what to do.
ii) use 1) when you need a beautiful well readable screen and 10s is enough to get the data.
iii) use 2) when 30s are enough, mostly this works for me.
iv) buy the (pricy...) OBDKey adaptor and use 1) and 2) and you have lot of fun and only rare stability issues, this works best with 1) and 2) only.

All obove reported and tested for ML4.1 on a TS 1.series; likely the stability problems are also dependent on the ECU behaviour.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Didn't think Alfa OBD worked with anything but KKL USB for the 164. Where can I source a KBM-system OBDkey bluetooth?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks. Didn't think Alfa OBD worked with anything but KKL USB for the 164. Where can I source a KBM-system OBDkey bluetooth?
I bought it (BT version) last year directly from KBMs website, they had a webshop there. The adaptor is overpriced in my opinion, but its the only one which works well with the ML4.1 ECU. Also there is a USB and a WLAN version.
Evgeny164 uses a professional device for workshops, this would be the alternative hardware, but i don't know if this is just a tester or does also live data recording.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts