Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if the fuel tank needs to be removed to get to the fuel pump? Or can it be done by somewhere else?

Thanks!

I really appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if the fuel tank needs to be removed to get to the fuel pump? Or can it be done by somewhere else?

Thanks!

I really appreciate your help.
It makes it a lot easier but it can be done through the trunk. I did one on the fly about a month ago through the trunk with a breather mask. Not fun but it was the only way to do it on the side of the road for the customer.
So answer. No it does not have to come out!

Jason

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes it a lot easier but it can be done through the trunk. I did one on the fly about a month ago through the trunk with a breather mask. Not fun but it was the only way to do it on the side of the road for the customer.
So answer. No it does not have to come out!

Jason
Great, thanks a lot for your help Jason!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It's easier with the tank out for sure, and while you are there you can replace the rubber parts that like to rot out. For my first time it took me about 5 hours to remove and replace the tank. I have done the pump through the access panel too, takes less time, but its frustrating, takes lots of patience to try to
guide the pump out without breaking the tabs on the plastic basket carrier, which will be brittle from being in gasoline for so many years. To pull the pump takes me about an hour or so, lots of swearing and care not to break anything. Its doable, but I think next time I am pulling the tank, it may take longer, but I swore a whole lot less! Best of luck,
Jon

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I only did it once with the tank in the car, it was a pain, but if the other option is to remove the tank, I think I'd go through the trunk again. Remove the tank? Come on! That a lot of work, for what? The pump will come out the top of the tank through the trunk. It just takes a little care and patients.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
It is not so hard, just remember how it came out so you can rotate it back in the same way. The worst part is the back allen head bolt, kind of a tight fit. I did one once in Houston TX in the middle of the summer. I must have lost 5 lbs of water just through sweat while I was in that trunk. Be careful with the bolts, if they drop, they are gone.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I would suggest buying a new basket because the likelyhood of breaking it is high. I don't see how your supposed to get it out without breaking it really. You will see what I mean when you get in there. If you don't have parts in hand to go back in immediately, your car will have to sit there filling up with fumes for several days waiting on parts, not good for the environment either. Get the rubber fuel pump surround and the rubber buffer pad for the bottom of the basket, the filter basket and replace the short hose. You'll need this thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=41575&highlight=fuel+pump
Charles

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
The suggestion here is to take your time. The pump comes out relatively easy. There is a baffle that you have to negotiate taking the pump out and putting it back in. This is where the "twist" of the pump has to come in when doing this. Don't force it. As stated there is a plastic basket at the bottom of the pump, held in place by two metal straps. Inside the basket is a screen and a rubber surround to help quiet the pump. The rubber should be replaced if you can get one as most likely it has turned to some kind of gunk.

I was thinking about my suggestion of "not to drop the bolts". Put a rag on the far side of the fuel pump towards the front of the car. This will keep the bolts from rolling into oblivion and save you the greif of wondering where do I get more bolts.
Another quick suggestion...hand start all the bolts before you tighten down the pump.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Bad news on the base gasket, they are NLA, I tried finding a new one for my car and came up empty handed. If anyone has a source for one let me know, I can always use a spare,
Jon

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Bad news on the base gasket, they are NLA, I tried finding a new one for my car and came up empty handed. If anyone has a source for one let me know, I can always use a spare,
Jon
Guess I was lucky that I bought one about a year or so ago and had it to use. I can't image those would be NLA though. Seems like one from another car would be just like it or another Alfa model would be the same? They are a thick rubber and seem like they are reusable for the most part, not sitting in gasoline just providing a vapor seal.
Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts