Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our rental 159 Sportwagon outside Siena, July 2007. An excellent car! Very stiff chassis & perfect suspension damping, 16v JTDm turbo diesel pulled hard from 1400rpm.
Only a few flies in the ointment: 950km on the odometer & the check engine light was on. Also, both boys threw up in the back seat (kids! not in the Alfa!). Hopefully nothing to do w/dad's driving.
Possibly a little underpowered for the States and I'm not sure I'd want a front-wheel-drive car, but very promising for Alfa's return to the USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just got back from Italy and drove over 4,000 kilometers in a gorgeous metalic black 159. In my opinion, the car is fantastic. The sterring is very nice and although the car is on the heavy side, it had light feet. On the A1, I almost always had the car over 160 kph (approx. 105 mph) many a times at 200 kph. Sixth gear could not be used unless you were driving over 150 kph. At 150 in fifth it was pulling 3200 rpm, once into sixth it would drop to 2600 rpm. The 1.9 16V turbo diesel engine was a gem and miss it dearly now that I'm back home. Usually, coming back and driving my new 240 hp Accord would put an end to Alfas up-to-date build quality, this time around, I realized that the Alfa was head over heels over my daily transportation. My Accord drives quite docel unless I unload my right foot and have the VTECH kick in. The Alfa would spool it's tiny turbo soo quick that acceleration felt fantastic at all times. Bursts to the almost 5000 rpm readline where lightining quick and it's weight handicap was never a problem. Moreover, I just do not understand all the lamenting I read on these threads about the 159 being such a heavy car...etc. Personally, I can't imagine how wonderful a new 3.2 liter normally aspirated engine would feel in such a great chassis.

The build quality was also excellent. Nothing came apart and check engine lights were not an issue. I drove the car practicaly non stop and for the first week, weather averaged something crazy like 105 F!:eek:

The climate control worked to perfection, I was surprised that the compartment under the armrest was also air conditioned. The trunk was large enough to swallow five average suitcases (five of us) and a few misc. bags.

My only complain (I should say my childrens complain) was that the rear seats sit a bit upright. The kids could not find comfortable support, especially during long trips.

Unfortunately, my new camera will not allow me to download pics because of more pixsels? Anyway, I was very pleased and would buy one in a heart-beat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts