Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read on this forum all V6 engine conversions into the 105 chassis is about using the 164 engine either 12 or 24 valve. Howcome nobody seems to use the engine from a 156 v6 ?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Could be the reason is that this an American Alfa site and the 156 was not sold in the US. So to make a 105 with a 156 V6 24V Project, the engine would have to be imported, whileas the 164 24V engine is available from local market!

GK.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good reason ;-)

Im surpriced that it wasnt importet to the US, its a nice car. Is it the same with the 166 ?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Thats a good reason ;-)

Im surpriced that it wasnt importet to the US, its a nice car. Is it the same with the 166 ?
Yes, to my knowledge the 164 was the last Alfa imported to the US, until they started up recently with the 8C and 4C.

GK.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I suspect the chain driven oil pump of the 156/166/Brera/GT/GTV6 2.5/3.0/3.2 is not in a convenient place to work with the sump required for a 105 transplant - heck, it makes life difficult enough on a 75/GTV6 conversion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect the chain driven oil pump of the 156/166/Brera/GT/GTV6 2.5/3.0/3.2 is not in a convenient place to work with the sump required for a 105 transplant - heck, it makes life difficult enough on a 75/GTV6 conversion.
howcome is it required to fit a 105 sump ? why is it not possible to make an adapter between the v6 engine and the 105 gearbox and use the stock sump ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I suspect its more to do with the layout of the engine and that it wont mate the 105 gear box.. All the later V6's are FWD no?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You must be aware that the 156 V6 24V engine is a newer construction in which the oil pump drive is different(with belt) from the previous 12V engine and 164 24V engine pump drive! In the earlier engine you could modify(or change) the oil pump pick up to fit other oil pans. This is more difficult on the 156 24V oil pump design in which the pump is chain driven. If you try this mod you will need to fit the 105 sump to the 156 engine and modify the pump pick up to function properly in the 105 sump! Maybe this sounds easy, but one has to try first to make that statement!

I am into changing the 3,2 to fit in a 116 body and its not so easy to fit the chain pump in the V6 12V 116 sump! Seen several solutions , but not very impressive ones!

GK.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The reason is the 156 sump is very different from the 105 sump so it will not fit! Not so that you must use the 105 sump, but that is made for the 105 space. You could also weld together a dry sump application for this purpose, fitting both engine and car at the same time.

What is not mentioned until now is that you cannot use the 156 3,2 Electronics, because it has many features not fitting the old car. So you have to buy a stand alone engine management system. Installing this could cost more than the price of the engine!

That said a 4 cyl turbo project for this car would be much more sensible!

GK

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I simply do not know enough about modern engines. Thanks for the information :)

I like the sound and smoothness of a V6 engine over the brute force of at turbocharged one. Everyone to their preferences

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
howcome is it required to fit a 105 sump ? why is it not possible to make an adapter between the v6 engine and the 105 gearbox and use the stock sump ?
The deep part of the sump fitted to the later chain driven oil pump cars is right where the front cross member needs to sit in a 105.

The cars that don't have a fly by wire throttle can have their electronics adapted to work in another car quite easily. The later fly by wire throttle cars (GT/Brera, 166 and 147/156GTA) have canbus connecting *all* of the cars electronics together and are a nightmare.
I believe there was a 3,2 version of the 90's GTV6 (final version) that may not have had fbw throttle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The deep part of the sump fitted to the later chain driven oil pump cars is right where the front cross member needs to sit in a 105.

The cars that don't have a fly by wire throttle can have their electronics adapted to work in another car quite easily. The later fly by wire throttle cars (GT/Brera, 166 and 147/156GTA) have canbus connecting *all* of the cars electronics together and are a nightmare.
I believe there was a 3,2 version of the 90's GTV6 (final version) that may not have had fbw throttle.
Good point about the sump, thanks :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts