Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aye, the alfa spider, gtv have clear doors, w/o handle, also the 147,156 and 166 have the rear door handle mounted on the C pilar

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Oh No...

It will take sometime for me to get used to those big grille sticking out so far. :(

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
OK, this is just my opinion but I think this new design looks better as a wagon than a sedan...

joe

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Agreed. But then I think most cars look better first as a convertible then as a wagon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Look again AlfaChan, this thing looks sinister!!!!!! Much more of a presence than the current 156 from the front. Love the projector headlamps as well. Would love to see it in GTA trim w/all wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I like the old 156 grille because of the grille and the slots around it reminds me of the old Alfas like 8C2300.

I would like to see the new 156 in person though. Alfas always look better in real life. :D

generaljimt said:
Look again AlfaChan, this thing looks sinister!!!!!! Much more of a presence than the current 156 from the front. Love the projector headlamps as well. Would love to see it in GTA trim w/all wheel drive.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey Kai, I agree, with the exception of our cars. The 105 body coupes are more beautiful in coupe vs. convertible form.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
generaljimt said:
Hey Kai, I agree, with the exception of our cars. The 105 body coupes are more beautiful in coupe vs. convertible form.
Yep, the GT/GTV coupe design is my favorite. GTC's look like chop-shop-jobs to me. And their cramped back seat looks like it's out of a Chrysler Le Baron. Still, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one. I miss the open top driving in my Spider.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ok, this is probably blasphemous, but dont all new
cars look like Honda Accords? I really dont care
much for the new Alfa designs, I think the merge
with Fiat made Alfa loose its syling edge and
risk taking of the past. I really doubt that
Alfa could really compete in the US again with
designs like these. I think they would really
need to stand out of the crowd. Teke the Mini,
if it had bland syling,it would not stand a chance
against the Japanese small performance cars.
The only reason ALfa and many other European
makers survive is their heavy import taxes on
Japanese cars.

On another note, the Dominican Republic looks really
beautifull in those pics.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Keven,

Yes, unfortunately almost all car manufacturers have been long-forced to produce cars that have a similar look because of various styling issues. But, lest you believe this is a 'new' thing, have a look at the Alfas of the twenties and thirties, and then compare the 'street-bodied' versions with most other European cars of the time. Now, go have a look at the post-war production Alfas...you will note that the Alfas, although beautiful, looked similar to other cars designed by the same European styling houses.

Alfa has historically chosen to produce cars with styling that was just a bit 'bold' for their time. Today, things aren't much different. The 156 (with its invisible rear door-handles) and interesting rear-light treatment really does look quite stylish in the flesh, especially when compared to the stodgy shapes of the German and Japanese cars they compete with. The 147 is a practical European Hatch-back, but is immediately recognizeable as being more 'sexy' than its competition (cars like the VW Golf).
And the Brera show car (which sounds like it will become a production model) is one of the best-looking cars I (and many others) have ever seen!

Even the most popular and admired Alfa bodies in North America; the Bertone Coupe, the Pininfarina Spider and the various versions of the Giulietta Sprint and Spider were not THAT differently-styled from many of their competitors. Examples? Bertone Coupe/ BMW 2002/ Lancia Fulvia, Pininfarina Spider/ FIAT Spider/ Triumph Spitfire/ Jaguar XKE, Giulietta/ Austin-Healey/ Jaguar XK 140 & 150/ MGA/ Triumph TR-3, 4.

Personally, I (and most readers of this Bulletin Board) prefer the Alfa 'look' to most other (if not all) cars...but, to me it isn't just the styling that does it! For me, it's the racing pedigree, the engineering, the handling prowess and the 'feel' of an Alfa that give them the edge! Having said that, if and when Alfa returns to North America, the only way that their sales will become viable will be if they can supply reliable, great-looking cars that can compete with other contemporary products in the same price range.

The Mini, the VW Beetle and the PT Cruiser are some unusual designs that have sold well in North America. But VW and Daimler-Chrysler have lots of other products available that are not as bold. The Mini is an interesting exception, but I don't think that that example is a good comparison anyway, because they are a "one-product" company, and Alfa is not.

I like the current Alfas, except for the 166. The 147 and 156 are gorgeous cars, especially in GTA trim. If you have never seen them in person, you really should. They really DO stand out in the crowd. Just my two cents worth!

Flame away!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
I agree that all new cars have lost some of their individuality, but Alfa is doing a much better job of trying to maintain this than almost everyone else.

When you look at the specs of these new 156 models, it's evident that Alfa is out front on more than just the styling - 3 class leading engine options, innovative (for a FWD) suspension design, good ergonomics and comfort features. I think they could sell these in the US, given half a chance...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
At first, I thought the 156 looks just like a cookie-cutter sedan from the picture. That is, until I saw a real one, passed by me on the street. Pictures do not show how sexy and lovely the proportion the car has, and all those flowing curves and surfaces.

Given the stamping and production technology that we have right now, Alfa 156 and 147 are no doubt the best looking cars you can design. I couldn't think of any mass produced car that looks as good as an Alfa.

Maybe a Peugeot 406. :D

Alex Csank said:
I like the current Alfas, except for the 166. The 147 and 156 are gorgeous cars, especially in GTA trim. If you have never seen them in person, you really should. They really DO stand out in the crowd. Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grrr, thoses pictures are from italy, :D not my island, sorry.

also i want to say something of the body of the newer alfas, you have to see it in person to find out how beuty they really are, also i agree the current 166 its a little strange car, but when on of thoses pass you by, you have to turn your head, its a eye catching car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts