Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member. I have already introduced myself in the specific thread.
My car is a GT 1300 Junior, but since i bought it already had a 1600 engine installed.
I am trying to understand what type of engine it is. Unfortunately the engine has a blank engine code, both close to the gearbox both under the carbs. So, i think, that if i want know how much horsepower has my engine, i have to understand what type of head it has. The 1600 Alfa engine had received so much update that i don't find any certain solutions.
The cams that i have are the 105 02 032 00 00 so i can't have 106 or 109 horsepower, because that engine has the 105 02 032 00 01 cams. From a camshaft list that i found here on the forum, seems that existing two different cams, with different timing, with the same part number like mine( 105 02 032 00 00 ), one called 1600 normal and other 1600 early 105 Series. If it can e useful, I measure the intake ports size: 37x46mm. I attached some head photos. Hope that you can help me. Sorry for my english.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Compact car

19 Number Mark on the Front
Auto part Engine Metal
Zero number mark on the top, near the first plug
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Intake manifold design
Auto part

46 Mark on the intake side
Auto part Bumper Vehicle
Other number mark on the intake manifold.

· Premium Member
26,051 Posts
With the two front tangs for cam cover hold-down bolts, this is a head from late 66/early 67 or later. The early heads had larger ports, Alfa reduced them later but I don't have a date. Early heads also had a 105... number cast in on the front, near the sealing surface. Someone else may chime in. The stamps and numbers are production info, won't tell you anything about the spec of the head.
10502... cams are early 1600 series, you might look at the Centerline tech site to see if it should more than one 105 variant. Other than port size, not much difference between 1600 single-ignition heads unless modified. Thickness stock is 4.410", you want to see how much it's been cut. There are tons of cams available from stock to modern, which in most cases are better.
All things equal, a small port head is better for street. Nowadays, these being 50+ years old, it may come down to using the best head you can find.
Andrew

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the two front tangs for cam cover hold-down bolts, this is a head from late 66/early 67 or later. The early heads had larger ports, Alfa reduced them later but I don't have a date. Early heads also had a 105... number cast in on the front, near the sealing surface. Someone else may chime in. The stamps and numbers are production info, won't tell you anything about the spec of the head.
10502... cams are early 1600 series, you might look at the Centerline tech site to see if it should more than one 105 variant. Other than port size, not much difference between 1600 single-ignition heads unless modified. Thickness stock is 4.410", you want to see how much it's been cut. There are tons of cams available from stock to modern, which in most cases are better.
All things equal, a small port head is better for street. Nowadays, these being 50+ years old, it may come down to using the best head you can find.
Andrew
Thanks for answering. So, the stamps and numbers are only production info, isn't possible to know the year of the head by these.
I already saw the centerline camshaft list and for the number 105 02 032 00 00 are reported two different timing. One of these timing, i'm sure is for the Giulia 1600 TI (92cv single carb), the other timing could be for the giulia super ? (98 cv double carbs 27mm venturi)? Or the 102cv giulia super with 30mm venturi ? I don't know. Do you know the size of the small ports ? Thanks

· Premium Member
26,051 Posts
I don't know the port size difference offhand. Someone may chime in.
What is the block number? You know if the head and the block are from the same engine? I'd put the head late 66-68 but that's a guess.
You can use the little cam cap graphing marking tool (see Centerline's tech site) to see what marks are on your head.
Andrew

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the port size difference offhand. Someone may chime in.
What is the block number? You know if the head and the block are from the same engine? I'd put the head late 66-68 but that's a guess.
You can use the little cam cap graphing marking tool (see Centerline's tech site) to see what marks are on your head.
Andrew
The engine has the blank code number, both on the gearbox side, both under the carbs. Unfortunately i don't know if the block and the head are frome the same engine. Maybe one day i'll look at the cams mark how you tell me.

· Premium Member
26,051 Posts
How about on the flange by the bellhousing, exhaust side? If no engine number it is a factory replacement block most likely. No way to confirm really if a head and block went together. There are period identifiers (tabs, no tabs, different casting marks on the front of later heads).
Andrew

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about on the flange by the bellhousing, exhaust side? If no engine number it is a factory replacement block most likely. No way to confirm really if a head and block went together. There are period identifiers (tabs, no tabs, different casting marks on the front of later heads).
Andrew
Unfortunately, no number also on the flange by bellhousing, exhaust side.
Which i don't understand it is how the 1600 engine had different power output. I try to explain better.
I saw from the catalog parts number that the Giulia Super 1600 and the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce has the same parts number for the head, for the cams and for the carbs, but one is rated 102cv, the other one is rated 109cv, so i don't understand this different power output. I can explain only with some catalog errors.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Unfortunately, no number also on the flange by bellhousing, exhaust side.
Which i don't understand it is how the 1600 engine had different power output. I try to explain better.
I saw from the catalog parts number that the Giulia Super 1600 and the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce has the same parts number for the head, for the cams and for the carbs, but one is rated 102cv, the other one is rated 109cv, so i don't understand this different power output. I can explain only with some catalog errors.
the answer is simple, it has to do how to set the cams, so diferent Lobe Centers yields diferent output with the same equipment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.