1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Surprisingly, the doors look easily restorable!

Pete
Not mine.

If for some reason this one does not work out for anyone interested I will be selling one of mine. Other than the fact that one of my boys decided to take it apart. It is a virtually solid and complete Euro version 1967 1300 GT Junior $30,000. Rust repairs on the eBay one probably nearly as much to repair the rust damages.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
If for some reason this one does not work out for anyone interested I will be selling one of mine. Other than the fact that one of my boys decided to take it apart. It is a virtually solid and complete Euro version 1967 1300 GT Junior $30,000. Rust repairs on the eBay one probably nearly as much to repair the rust damages.
Hello,
This is my car on eBay and I am here to answer any questions.
1978Alfa thank you for your online estimate of what it costs. Isn’t there a difference in value between a GTV and a jr? Good luck with your sale but no need to try and throw shade on someone else’s car to make your sale look more appealing. I have hid nothing about my car and hopefully others can assess the value.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
If it was mine,, I would start from the top and work down... Good cars are bringing 45-60000. so let's use this one for a benchmark... 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Now you have to play the customer dance...parts car or resto .. Parts it's probably worth something about 5 grand (optimistically)... Resto cost (moon lighted probably) if you do most of the mechanicals yourself.. 50+MINIMUM if one can find a shop to take it on. Someone might buy it for double the parts value and cherry pick what they want (Seats , engine) and sell the rest .. a crap shoot for the buyer but they are out there. Then there are the Euro buyers who like cars like this because they have a cadre of friends with skills and they can't afford the VAT taxes on finished cars. This would be cheaper for them to import. I would advise your foreign buyers what you are willing to do to get it to a port like Jacksonville or Savannah or New Orleans and the cost. This would help grease the skids on that type of sale and might be where it is heading in the end. Good luck. It takes alot of work selling cars to minimize heartburn and snafus.. The more you put yourself in a buyer's shoes the more success ($$$$$$) you will have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it was mine,, I would start from the top and work down... Good cars are bringing 45-60000. so let's use this one for a benchmark... 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Now you have to play the customer dance...parts car or resto .. Parts it's probably worth something about 5 grand (optimistically)... Resto cost (moon lighted probably) if you do most of the mechanicals yourself.. 50+MINIMUM if one can find a shop to take it on. Someone might buy it for double the parts value and cherry pick what they want (Seats , engine) and sell the rest .. a crap shoot for the buyer but they are out there. Then there are the Euro buyers who like cars like this because they have a cadre of friends with skills and they can't afford the VAT taxes on finished cars. This would be cheaper for them to import. I would advise your foreign buyers what you are willing to do to get it to a port like Jacksonville or Savannah or New Orleans and the cost. This would help grease the skids on that type of sale and might be where it is heading in the end. Good luck. It takes alot of work selling cars to minimize heartburn and snafus.. The more you put yourself in a buyer's shoes the more success ($$$$$$) you will have.
Thank you for you observation. I guess I am in that special boat that I can restore and do restore my own vehicles. It would be scary to farm this out in today’s world. It is a shame that I have so many that I am working on and can’t do this one for at least 5 years. They aren’t easy to come by project or otherwise 👍

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Thank you for you observation. I guess I am in that special boat that I can restore and do restore my own vehicles. It would be scary to farm this out in today’s world. It is a shame that I have so many that I am working on and can’t do this one for at least 5 years. They aren’t easy to come by project or otherwise 👍
My experience.. ONLY mine. is with a little perseverance 99% mechanical can be fixed from public guidance and available tools...,, some start two steps forward one step back. Body work is a totally different animal.. I tried it... one step forward three steps BACK. Most folks think it is like dipping into the Revell factory and buying new parts for a F-86 plastic model airplane and gluing them together.. NOT .Most projects evolve from bright eyes and excitement to tears and despair ... and are sold off unfinished. There are no short cuts.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Then have at it.. you can add this to your portfolio of experience

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
....there are the Euro buyers who like cars like this because they have a cadre of friends with skills and they can't afford the VAT taxes on finished cars. This would be cheaper for them to import.
Another class of buyer are the people who just need a VIN to give to Alfaholics so they can build a street-legal GT out of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I'm on a roll.. then if you restore the metal panels ..... how are they welded together? spot welds .. rosette?... tack welds ...gas welds... MIG... TIG... I personally know cars that were bought in the US .. and REJECTED to scrap by the Swiss authorities because the spot welds did not conform to the original standard and method of manufacture. Keen buyers are aware of this little issue

·
Registered
364 Posts
Easily a $75000 car on BaT with 20 posters saying it was a steal.. and most of them from here
@divotandtralee , thanks - this absolutely made me lol! Mea culpa, although in my view, why rain on the parade of a new Alfa owner even if you believe that they overpaid? In addition, high auction prices will eventually drive up the value of the cars that we currently own - and that can‘t be a bad thing. It certainly helps me to explain to my wife why I am investing so much time and money into mine!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The main positives I see in this car, and kudos to the seller for this, is the transparency of the presentation and that it’s intact with what looks like most of the original parts. The cars that frighten me most are those that have layers of bog or underside spray over the top of obvious problems, but which the sellers pretend all is good or better than reality.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
In the end, there are dozens of reasons people buy these cars ..some might make good economic sense to a particular buyer and some make no sense at all. If I want gratification from restoring and working on French chateaus, I search for one that is standing not one that is a bombed out pile of rubble from WWII.

These cars are just not that rare .. there are fewer than most .. but just not that rare and even cars not on the market can be bought and enjoyed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts